The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

7 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Context. Its your friend.

Right handed Dmen with size that can move the puck are one of the more sought after players. So even if Myers signed here and didnt live up to what they need, he would be movable. 

Problem is, he is very likely going to demand and get some form of NMC.  That, combined with the term and $ value of his contract, would probably make him just as hard as Eriksson to move later on.  That being said, without having to give up any more high draft picks or top prospects, I do think signing him is our best option for upgrading our RHD  and finding a fitting partner for Hughes.

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

No. The fact that you cannot see any positives in the player at all vs our current defense situation is why. 

Hating a bad contract is presented differently than just hating a player. You clearly hate the player. 

i don't hate the player. I don't love the player either. It's hard to feel either way about an average player.

Giving an average player the type of contract that top-end players get? Yeah, you bet I would hate that. Our current situation has nothing to do with it. He'd make us better if we gave him 15 mil per year too, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If we could keep it under 4.5 x 5 or something that would work but we all know it's not going to be anything close to that. Kudos to Benning if he actually pulls something like that off.

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

i don't hate the player. I don't love the player either. It's hard to feel either way about an average player.

Giving an average player the type of contract that top-end players get? Yeah, you bet I would hate that. Our current situation has nothing to do with it. He'd make us better if we gave him 15 mil per year too, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If we could keep it under 4.5 x 5 or something that would work but we all know it's not going to be anything close to that. Kudos to Benning if he actually pulls something like that off.

6.5 isn't really that bad. It's not a steal but you don't expect that with free agency. Comparibly, Edler for 6, Subban at 9,EK at 11.5, Myers around 6-7 is a number you can live with imo. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

His projected contract is around 6 mil for 7 years from EW:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15E1qqh3OfHvvhbv_pICfKT7VR1jJEVhWQOyKviWLN54/htmlview

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm getting this feeling that some of you think that 19/20 will be the last season in NHL history. Did I miss some sort of announcement?

If we can upgrade our D this year without paying a premium, great. If not, there's next year, and the year after. We're nowhere close to competing, it's not urgent. It's definitely not worth another awful, awful free agent contract.

Go back and read the threads about Eriksson when we first signed him. It's exactly the same crap. "We have lots of cap space and he makes us better. We have a large hole in X spot and he fills it. If we need to trade him down the road, we can."

We have exhibit A for "not overpaying free agents" in Eriksson and exhibit A for "not chasing tools-with-no-toolbox D-men" in Gudbranson. These mistakes are way, way too recent for us to forget them and repeat them.

And the year after that, then the year after that, and on and on...:rolleyes:

You seriously can't see how pathetic and stupid that sounds? At what point do we have enough of all the losing and actually want to start to win? What exactly are we waiting on?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Thats because you arent being realistic with that number at all. He is worth more than that just based on salaries around the league, let alone being a UFA.

As I have said, the contract will determine if signing him is worth it. But 4.5 mil per is not even realistic. Its just another example of you devaluing a player based on nothing but your osn bias.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Absolutely. I was watching him very closely down the stretch and in the playoffs because of the rumblings that we would be targeting him in free agency, and I thought he played very well. In fact I’ve watched him play quite a few times from his time with the Kelowna Rockets, in the memorial cup, at the world juniors, and in the big leagues and I’ve always liked his game. He’s not spectacular, but he certainly is very good, and personally I’d be thrilled if we got him. 

I thought he looked real good for the Jets in the playoffs this year. Sounds like they are even trying to re sign him but may come up short thanks to the cap. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Remember when Edler was that guy for us. 

Some people right

I think people miss that this signing could very well make it so tanev can play more games and less minutes per game

Our d wouldn't be the best but being able to bump Stetcher down to third pairing makes it much more versatile

• Upvote 1

The fact JB signed J.T.Miller to a contract that included a 2020 first round conditional, or , failing that a 2021 1st, should be screaming out to you that this team is definitely aiming at a playoff spot this coming season. That being said, and packaged with the Bread Man tweet...Myers it is.

I'm also looking forward to a lot of energy being injected into a revamped D by Woo too as the year progresses!

There are only so many options available.

We aren't going to pry a stud number one away from anybody without giving away someone we don't want to part with.

So many people up in arms over the conditional first for Miller, could you imagine if we sent Horvat or Boeser plus Juolevi away to get one?

Myers is available, performs adequately,  has size and could come at a decent price tag of 6 or 7 mil. Its 2019, that's not a bad price. 

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

I would like to see Myers beside Hughes.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silver Ghost said:

Thats because you arent being realistic with that number at all. He is worth more than that just based on salaries around the league, let alone being a UFA.

As I have said, the contract will determine if signing him is worth it. But 4.5 mil per is not even realistic. Its just another example of you devaluing a player based on nothing but your osn bias.

It's not bias, it's opinion based on facts.

Yet to see any evidence from anyone that suggests he's anything more than an average player.

He can put up 30 points but can't be counted on consistently to play defense against top-6 forwards. He can skate the puck out nicely but is prone to lapses in judgment and turnovers. Ideally he's a #5 on a contender that can move up in a pinch. This is not a 6.5-7 million dollar player even if you account for the premium you must pay for UFA signings.

He's also 29 years-old which means his best years are probably behind him. Who knows what he'll look like in 2-3 years when we're supposed to be "good", regardless of how good of a skater he is.

Edited by kanucks25

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

And the year after that, then the year after that, and on and on...:rolleyes:

You seriously can't see how pathetic and stupid that sounds? At what point do we have enough of all the losing and actually want to start to win? What exactly are we waiting on?

Impatience is the reason Benning made so many stupid moves in his first 3 seasons here and why we're 5 years into the "rebuild" yet still a few years away at least. Quick fixes, "retool", band-aids.

Let's not go down that road again, let's do it right this time.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 2

7 hours ago, LarsEller said:

6.5 isn't really that bad. It's not a steal but you don't expect that with free agency. Comparibly, Edler for 6, Subban at 9,EK at 11.5, Myers around 6-7 is a number you can live with imo. 

Frankly tired of us settling for "not that bad". Everything under this management team is analyzed with "not that bad, could be worse" like that's some sort of acceptable barometer.

Ridiculous.