The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought the Sabres had really good young forwards, who put up lots of points?  Isn’t it keeping the pucks out of their net they need to improve?  

I thought they need more maturity in their forwards, and guys who know how to play the right way defensively?  

Sutter is no where near worth Risto, but he’s the type of player the Sabers should get. 

Sutter + for Risto? 

Heck give them Sutter + Tanev + 2020 second.  Give them whatever they want but just get it done.  He’s who we need.  Come on JB.  Still time to win the offseason.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There's no doubt Myers makes us better next season. Its the contract that's the problem.

I'm excited to have Myers on our blueline if it happens, but I think they need to hold strong on 5 years. Whether Myers accepts that who knows. I just hope we don't give right in to his demands. 

I think that’s the part missing by so many people.  Myers makes us better and by quite a bit based on who we currently have.  People are acting like he’s our whipping boy already.  This is a 6’8 puck mover with a cannon of a shot and some edge to his game.  If the contract starts with a 6 we should be elated to bring him in.

guess everybody wanted Hayes for 7x7 instead :ph34r:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought the Sabres had really good young forwards, who put up lots of points?  Isn’t it keeping the pucks out of their net they need to improve?  

I thought they need more maturity in their forwards, and guys who know how to play the right way defensively?  

Sutter is no where near worth Risto, but he’s the type of player the Sabers should get. 

Sutter + for Risto? 

I’m not sure why so many people are enamoured with Risto. He’s not a good defensman. Puts up points, hits and is bad in his own end. He’s not putting up karlsson level points to offset his poor defensive play

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I’m not sure why so many people are enamoured with Risto. He’s not a good defensman. Puts up points, hits and is bad in his own end. He’s not putting up karlsson level points to offset his poor defensive play

Pouliot, Hutton, Stecher etc. We haven’t been successful since having a player like Erhoff.  We need offence from the D core and Risto does this and is still young and improving.  I’m more than willing to give up some defensive shortcomings to be able to actually push the play.  I love Edler but have you seen him or Tanev on the breakout?  Barf!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He's 'bad in his own end' - but the guy on that blueline that has the lowest offensive zone starts / hardest minutes?

He's bad in his own end - but a top pairing penalty killing D there?

Hmmm.

Doesn't say much about the rest of that blueline, then, does it?

Also - a forward group full of Coiler quality without the puck wadr to the Eichels, Skinners, Mittelstadts, etc.

I expect a player like Ristolainen, on a team like Buffalo, to have a very unflattering +/-.   I would take him rather willingly.

Until then, I will say this - Ristolainen sucks - and they should move him quickly, before his value plumets any lower.....and they should move him...outside their confernce....to us.:ph34r:

One more 'reclamation project' please.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Baby Myers in the infamous "Rolston Centipede"!  ^_^     Poor Ryan Miller was surrounded. :lol:

BYXw_EFCQAAAJbz.jpg

To be fair Myers is the one in correct position, the other two idiots shouldn't have followed :picard:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Baby Myers in the infamous "Rolston Centipede"!  ^_^     Poor Ryan Miller was surrounded. :lol:

BYXw_EFCQAAAJbz.jpg

can you name those three players, left to right  please?

If you think that's bad, I have some Taylor Hall / Edmonton Oilers for you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

5 years, $5.75 mil per season...  you heard it here first!  :) 

Sounds like you are an insider and you already know something other users don't. Even if it''s 5 years at 5,75$ I don't like this move for the Canucks. Several reports saying that Myers is a thrid pairing guy, struggled in the Top 4 with the Jets last season. Report on straight.com provides a pretty good summary of what to expect from Myers and what better not to expect.

https://www.straight.com/news/1258871/vancouver-canucks-chasing-defenceman-tyler-myers-free-agency-report

But the underlying numbers for Myers aren’t so pretty. He started 56.8 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone, a higher mark than any other regular Jets defenceman. And he still posted a negative Relative Corsi. He also got demoted to Winnipeg’s third pairing at times last season.

In short, by looking at his numbers and slotting him in as a fourth defenceman (but remember, he couldn't hold that spot down in Winnipeg), you’d think the price would be somewhere in the $4.5 million range per season. That would be OK.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Wat 1

Signing Myers should decrease Tanev's minutes (and risk of injury) in a contract year.  This would increase his value in a trade (get that 1st back at the deadline?).

Hoping we can move a couple bottom six forwards to clear up some cap space.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

5 years, $5.75 mil per season...  you heard it here first!  :) 

I'd take that, and it may turn out that way if reports of limited interest in other markets is true.  He'd fill the top-4 for quite some time considering Tanev is likely gone within a year, Woo is a year or two away, and we don't have anyone else in the system projecting as top-4 RHD.  Perhaps JB will acquire one or one of the lefties moves over, but Myers would be a fixture there for the majority if not all of his contract.  He would be 34 when he starts his final year.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I still think he'll end up at +/- 5x6. Years or salary. His choice.

Myers could take a discount to come here. His wife is from BC? They got an off season home in the province. Jim mentioned UFAs want to come here now Petey and Hughes are here.

We are now seen as a team free agents want to come too. Definitely could see a much lower aav/term deal for Myers. If he signs at or around 6m on shorter term I would be excited! 5 years would be amazing.

More Ferraro and the Media Muppets.  Can't understand what the Canucks are doing, Canucks need to "unload" Beagle's contract, equating the Marleau and Miller trades, Canucks have no prospect depth.  It's like listening to the average fan talk around a water cooler, whereas these guys are not only supposed to have knowledge but enough resources to have some depth of insight and analysis.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

More Ferraro and the Media Muppets.  Can't understand what the Canucks are doing, Canucks need to "unload" Beagle's contract, equating the Marleau and Miller trades, Canucks have no prospect depth.  It's like listening to the average fan talk around a water cooler, whereas these guys are not only supposed to have knowledge but enough resources to have some depth of insight and analysis.

Ferraro is an egotistical idiot...just like that Mark Recchi douche...