The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

The problem is he’s not a top notch player. He’s just not.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be a good addition to the team, but the devil’s-in-the-details.

A monster contract for a player of Myers’ ability (legit Top4 but not a top notch player) is not going to be good for us long-term.

The Toronto propaganda puppets are leading many astray.  Myers is s very good player, who will be paid as a UFA.  These scum media types know Myers is worth 7 times 7.  They are setting the table to attack the Canucks.  These are the same Toronto puppets who complimented Dubas for using a first to dump one year of Marleau.  

Myers is worth 7 times 7.  Any amount less or less term is a deal for us.  

Colin Miller?  Seriously?  The guy is not worth his salary.  

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, nzan said:

The problem is he’s not a top notch player. He’s just not.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be a good addition to the team, but the devil’s-in-the-details.

A monster contract for a player of Myers’ ability (legit Top4 but not a top notch player) is not going to be good for us long-term.

I guess I’ll withold judgement until I see what the actual contract is...at one point someone on Twitter was saying something about 7x$8m. We can agree that wouldn’t be a good move yes?

Yes, that would be a large contract. Really though I will reserve judgement till I see the numbers. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Canucks fans: “I want a top 4 RD!”

**Canucks are front runners for the best RD on the market**

Canucks fans: “Omg fire Benning!”

Canucks fans: “Why didn’t he just trade for Tyson Barrie?!”

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Trading for him would be helping a team in our conference.  A team that is already good with more talent coming.  I would wait 1yr, see how he performs and make him a good offer in FA

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, if it happens... Also assuming Hutton's gone and they re-sign Schenn

(D depth for 2019/20?)

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Teves - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Sautner - Rafferty

McEneny - Woo

Brisebois - Chatfield

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Trading for him would be helping a team in our conference.  A team that is already good with more talent coming.  I would wait 1yr, see how he performs and make him a good offer in FA

Can’t count on him even making it to FA. How many people were hoping we’d have a shot at Karlsson.

if there’s a trade to be made that doesn’t cost us the future you do it. Then sign him long term this summer.

Unfortunately Colorado is in the position of power and would likely be demanding a ridiculous haul:

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

(D depth for 2019/20?)

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Teves - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Sautner - Rafferty

McEneny - Woo

Brisebois - Chatfield

I wouldn't put Teves so high.

I think that Meyers is coming to play with Hughes.  

I think that the 3rd LHD spot is Juolevi's once he gets back to full form.  He is much better than people here seem to think. 

I believe that the reason they are comfortable letting Hutton go for nothing is because Sautner and Brisebois bring almost as much for a quarter the price.  Hughes and Edler will take the majority of the LHD minutes so we can't pay 4.2 mill for 12 minutes of Hutton.

This season:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Meyers

Sautner Stecher

Brisebois Biega

Juolevi Rafferty

Teves Chatfield

I hope Rafferty overtakes Biega in training camp.  I don't see the need for Schenn, but if he is really cheap then I guess he can't hurt.

I don't think Chatfield has a hope of making the NHL.  Eliot will probably overtake him in Utica by the end of next year.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t count on him even making it to FA. How many people were hoping we’d have a shot at Karlsson.

if there’s a trade to be made that doesn’t cost us the future you do it. Then sign him long term this summer.

Unfortunately Colorado is in the position of power and would likely be demanding a ridiculous haul:

Yup, Colorado would probably be one of the Canucks main competition in the West.  Barrie will probably be traded cause I doubt Sakic will allow him to go for nothing but if there cap allows Iam sure he would rather keep him.  Also, Makar and potentially Bynam will probably be playing in the main club unless Makar regresses and Bynam is not ready..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

(D depth for 2019/20?)

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Teves - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Sautner - Rafferty

McEneny - Woo

Brisebois - Chatfield

You know all 14 of these defenseman will end up playing a game this season, with the exception of maybe Jett Woo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Toronto propaganda puppets are leading many astray.  Myers is s very good player, who will be paid as a UFA.  These scum media types know Myers is worth 7 times 7.  They are setting the table to attack the Canucks.  These are the same Toronto puppets who complimented Dubas for using a first to dump one year of Marleau.  

Myers is worth 7 times 7.  Any amount less or less term is a deal for us.  

Colin Miller?  Seriously?  The guy is not worth his salary.  

Alf, I don't personally think he is worth 7X7, but I generally agree with your attitude towards it.  I think it is absurd how everybody here demands the signing of a top free agent RHD and then complains when they have to pay market prices for it.  They also complains when there is a cost to trading. 

I am really hoping that the numbers are more like 6's and 5's, but I also understand that top 4 NHL dmen don't fall out of the sky.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Alf, I don't personally think he is worth 7X7, but I generally agree with your attitude towards it.  I think it is absurd how everybody here demands the signing of a top free agent RHD and then complains when they have to pay market prices for it.  They also complains when there is a cost to trading. 

I am really hoping that the numbers are more like 6's and 5's, but I also understand that top 4 NHL dmen don't fall out of the sky.

I really dont want Myers, his offensive game isnt the best, and is a liability on the backend at times. I'd rather have Gardiner who can put up some offense.

1 minute ago, Shaelon said:

I really dont want Myers, his offensive game isnt the best, and is a liability on the backend at times. I'd rather have Gardiner who can put up some offense.

While Gardiner is clearly the better offensive player, remember the TO fans have wanted Gardiner gone almost since he got there.  He is know for his timely defensive gaffes.  When you look at Edler, Hughes, Stecher, and Juolevi, you can see the makings of some good puck movers with a good first pass.  3 of those are on the left side.  I think this is the key reason why Gardner is out of the running.  We'll see I guess!

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

While Gardiner is clearly the better offensive player, remember the TO fans have wanted Gardiner gone almost since he got there.  He is know for his timely defensive gaffes.  When you look at Edler, Hughes, Stecher, and Juolevi, you can see the makings of some good puck movers with a good first pass.  3 of those are on the left side.  I think this is the key reason why Gardner is out of the running.  We'll see I guess!

Yea we gotta leave room for Juolevi on the left side if he makes a push this year. Sign a stop gap player like Benn or Nemeth in the meantime.

We need a RHD which is why Myers is on the top of our list.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A bunch of rumours floating around that Barrie wants to come 'home' next summer anyway. I'm ok being patient and not giving up assets.

We're already adding Hughes and likely at least one UFA/trade this summer. As well as likely Juolevi later this year We can wait until next year to see if we can add Barrie and likely Tryamkin.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Gardiner is not the greatest defensively but Toronto fans are also morons that made him the fall guy for their entire choke artist team. He is a net positive at the end of the day, they are just too dumb to realize it.

If Benning could get Myers and/or Gardiner at decent enough cap hits with deals that are not structured to be trade/buyout proof (like that tool in TO keeps giving out) it makes our defense better.

What does our defense need most? Reliable offensive weapons. We already have a few guys that can play the defensive role well and even if we need an upgrade there they are much cheaper to find both in free agency and by trade.

Edler-Myers

Gardiner-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Biega, Schenn, Juolevi

You are telling me something like that doesn't look much better as a 3 pairing defense by committee? And that it doesn't give Brown some flexibility in the tools available on our PP? They don't have to rush Juolevi if he isn't ready. 

Of course, both are not likely to end up as Canucks just based on the amount needed to tie both up. But either one of those two guys would make our defense better. And if they don't work out, there is an expansion draft coming soon enough. Well worth the risk if Benning can make the cap work and the deals are amenable to being traded later. 

• Cheers 1

If Myers does sign here my guess is that the term and money is constructive.. I also think that Vancouver is somewhere he wishes to be, so perhaps the constructiveness works both ways.

Hypothetically...

5 yrs.  6.25 - 6.5 - 7 - 7.25 - 7.25 = 34.5m    

Limited Clauses.. Myers still deserves to have the opportunity to win a cup, even if it’s not with us after the 2nd year.

No player is getting younger in this league, But the demographic of the league, is.