The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 hour ago, Silver Ghost said:

Zaitsev is a hard no for me. Its like "one of these things is not like the others" on Sesame Street putting his name with those others lol

If you don't make him play over his head as a 1st pairing D he is ok.  No different than us playing hutton and stecher over their heads and them struggling.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

If you don't make him play over his head as a 1st pairing D he is ok.  No different than us playing hutton and stecher over their heads and them struggling.

Maybe, but we already have Stetcher and we can resign Hutton for a lot less than what Zaitsev is making, and without losing an asset. 

Whoever we pull the trigger on has to be better than Zaitsev.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The only reason to potentially take Zaitsev is for what Toronto is throwing in with him. Given they haven't moved him yet, clearly they're not throwing in enough yet.

• Like 1

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Myers 

Looks like a pretty decent top 4 D

Not the best but pretty nice..  I like it...

Myers will compliment Hughes very nicely. 

And their combined height will average 6 ft.. jk, kinda. Lol

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The potential Myers signing all comes down to term. I'd expect him to be a solid top 4D for atleast 3 years upon signing. So 4 years would be ideal, & 5 would be manageable. Beyond that its basically a guaranteed anchor.

I like Tyler Myers, I like the prospects of bringing him in. I'm not sure him alone makes us a playoff team, but its better than what we've had.

Getting Tyson Barrie next year in free agency would be the dream. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Im just hoping theres no nmc, thats all im allowing myself to hope for

I highly doubt Myers would sign a deal without a NMC for at least the first 3 years. He is the "biggest" fish of the UFA defencemen class and won't want to be shuffled out after 2 seasons in the expansion draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

6 would be okay in terms of years, 5 would be ideal.  He’d only be 35 at the end of the contract.  I get concerned if we sign players until they are 39/40.

Myers is 29, why on earth would anyone be concerned the Canucks give him a 10 year contract?

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning should trade for Brendan Dillon now and the defence is a lot tougher. 

Benning should offer sheet McAvoy and screw the bruins over... 8.4 for 7 years and force them into a really tight cap situation leaving them with only 3.6 left to still sign Carlo, heinen and acciari. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Myers is 29, why on earth would anyone be concerned the Canucks give him a 10 year contract?

I meant in general not with Myers.  I just don’t want to see us make a Seabrook like contract.  Signing Myers until 34/35 is still fairly safe.  There will be a drop off but he will still be useful in the last two years.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Myers 

As much as Stecher isn't a 1st pair D, I think I'd prefer him with Edler. And (if we're not moving Tanev - at least until the TDL), slide him to 3rd pair, less minutes with say Benn or a similar UFA, to play closer to 16-18 minutes and hopefully stay healthier.

Edler, Stecher

Hughes, Myers

Benn, Tanev

Then sign Barrie next summer.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning should trade for Brendan Dillon now and the defence is a lot tougher. 

He’s a UFA after this season, from New West, but a LD. Like him but if we trade for him we can’t give up much. SJ needs cap space for little Joe, and we are stacked on the left side. 

I just dont don’t see where he fits, we need to be making room for Juolevi at some point 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He’s a UFA after this season, from New West, but a LD. Like him but if we trade for him we can’t give up much. SJ needs cap space for little Joe, and we are stacked on the left side. 

I just dont don’t see where he fits, we need to be making room for Juolevi at some point 

Some hold the view that Hughes should be slotted in at the 2nd D-pairing. Personally I would like to see Hughes - mainly for development reasons in his 1st rull rookie season- on the 3rd pairing.

1st pairing:  Edler + Stech

2nd pairing: Myers + Dillon

3rd pairing : Hughes + Tanev.

Jim made it clear that he aims to improve the D-Corps. The emphasis should clearly be on improve. Dillon would indeed be an upgrad on Hutton, a far more impactful D than Hutton ever was.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The potential Myers signing all comes down to term. I'd expect him to be a solid top 4D for atleast 3 years upon signing. So 4 years would be ideal, & 5 would be manageable. Beyond that its basically a guaranteed anchor.

I like Tyler Myers, I like the prospects of bringing him in. I'm not sure him alone makes us a playoff team, but its better than what we've had.

Getting Tyson Barrie next year in free agency would be the dream. 

I can only dream this is the plan... maybe need to wait another year.  This is very possible.  I am very okay with this.

Edler - Barrie/Colin Miller

Hughes - Myers (5x$6MM)

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo/Raferty

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I can only dream this is the plan... maybe need to wait another year.  This is very possible.  I am very okay with this.

Edler - Barrie/Colin Miller

Hughes - Myers (5x$6MM)

Tryamkin - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo/Raferty

Sadly, I think if we are to sign Barrie after signing Myers this season and especially if Tryamkin comes back...Stecher's probably traded for other assets :unsure:

In 2nd year:

Edler, Barrie

Hughes, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Rathbone, Woo, Rafferty etc

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't a fan of signing Myers, but I think I'll be happy with any upgrades they make. I love the idea of signing Dillon, because he's an a-hole and the Canucks need more of that grit and physicality. Then if Tryamkin comes back in a year? The D just got a lot bigger and nastier.

Edler - Myers

Dillon - Stecher

Tryamkin - Hughes

Juolevi  

Strangely, I don't see Hutton on anyone's proposed D core.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As much as Stecher isn't a 1st pair D, I think I'd prefer him with Edler. And (if we're not moving Tanev - at least until the TDL), slide him to 3rd pair, less minutes with say Benn or a similar UFA, to play closer to 16-18 minutes and hopefully stay healthier.

Edler, Stecher

Hughes, Myers

Benn, Tanev

Then sign Barrie next summer.

For next year that would give us:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Tryamkin

Stecher

Plus assets for Tanev, Benn and maybe Stecher.

That would definitely work for me!

• Cheers 1