The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The reply from someone in that convo is brutality :shock:

you can always find trash on twitter if you want to. Let just remember the player as who he was, and direct our hate at Bettman. 

• Like 2

I’m kinda torn on this. I want to be mad that he’s retiring rather than going on LTIR (to the benefit of Florida and the detriment of Vancouver) but I just respect him too much. He’s earned the right to do what he wants. And given the way he was pushed out in Vancouver, I can’t say I blame him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It’s actually less because we were paying 800k of his salary. Just jettison some baggage and we’re good. Better he did it now than later as you say. 

Have to respect the guy’s integrity. Choosing not to use the IR loophole and take a lot of money. Most including myself wouldn’t do that.

thank you Lou, for all you did for us , the excitement and congrats on a great career and a HHOF induction down the road

The Canucks no longer have 800K on their books because there's no salary to pay.

The recapture penalty is 3.033M for the next 3 years.  It takes into account that the Canucks have retained 15% of his salary when he was still playing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He says it right in his letter, he's having health issues, problems with his hip. He needed to stop playing, I think the Canucks can appeal the recapture based on a number of things, including that.

We were paying 800,000 per year already in salary retention.  The cap penalty will be 3 million.  That's a difference is actual dollars of 2.2 million.  We aren't bringing back Hutton.  We will sign a guy to take Hutton's place for 1 million.  Boom!  That balances with the Luongo expense.  No worries.  It's all good.  Be Happy!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

The Canucks no longer have 800K on their books because there's no salary to pay.

The recapture penalty is 3.033M for the next 3 years.  It takes into account that the Canucks have retained 15% of his salary when he was still playing.

Yes but we're no longer paying the $800 so it's only an increase of $2.2M from what we were already paying.

Edited by aGENT

12 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Congrats to Lou on an outstanding Career!

Lots of ups and downs but taking us to the cup final  was the icing..

The recapture rule looks like 

3033.206 for 3 years less the 800K retained = 2233.206 for each 3 years

is this correct or do we still get nailed with 800K as well?

It's 3.033M for the next 3 years - the 800K are not deducted from that amount and have already been included in the calculation. The Canucks no longer have the 800K on the books because there's no salary to be paid anymore.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Starting to slowly feel like and of an era. Not many core guys left playing from 2011

Just Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, and Schneider now. Kesler technically, but I think his career is done.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yes but we're no longer paying the $880 so it's only an increase of $2.2M from what we were already paying.

That's correct.  It's not 2M on the books but 3.3M and nothing else.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Yes, and folks are saying it nets out to around $2.2 million because we were already on the hook for $800k and you are arguing about it.

Is that tough math to figure out?

Edited by Provost

Right until the very end Lu is a team player. He saw all the rumors about Myers signing here for an albatross and took matters into his own hands. Once our Captain, forever our Captain. Thank you for everything Lu!!!!!

Edited by Specz
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1