The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: June 27th, 2019 (Recapture penality/free agency)

Rate this topic

Rush17

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

The rumors that Lou wanted to go onto LTIR and Florida forced a retirement has left a bitter taste in my mouth. There should be recourse here for our team. Instead we're just going to accept this bull$&!#. 

Yeah me too. Its total bs and wouldn't stand in any other industry outside of the clique that the NHL is run by. 

I can't blame Lu, he wants to build the rest of his life there so it would be hard for him to crap the bed there to make a stand over it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah me too. Its total bs and wouldn't stand in any other industry outside of the clique that the NHL is run by. 

Not sports related, however:

Years ago the BC Ferry workers agreed to binding arbitration with Vince Ready, he took away their right to strike as part of his "award".

The union took that clause to the supreme court of B.C. who just a couple of weeks back decided that it was not unreasonable that a decision made by a few union exec to agree to arbitration, and Vince Ready should stand.

Result 2500 people in Canada lost their so called "right" to strike due to bad decisions by less than 10 people.

sometimes the law can be an ass.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not sports related, however:

Years ago the BC Ferry workers agreed to binding arbitration with Vince Ready, he took away their right to strike as part of his "award".

The union took that clause to the supreme court of B.C. who just a couple of weeks back decided that it was not unreasonable that a decision made by a few union exec to agree to arbitration, and Vince Ready should stand.

Result 2500 people in Canada lost their so called "right" to strike due to bad decisions by less than 10 people.

sometimes the law can be an ass.

Not the same situation. The majority of the owners were in favor of the clause, and the NHLPA voted to accept it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Not the same situation. The majority of the owners were in favor of the clause, and the NHLPA voted to accept it. 

I know, just an example of how "fair" has nothing to do with it.

• Cheers 2

He looks a little tired, worn out, frustrated to me, like he's trying to get things done but it ain't easy. He looks like a lot of fans are feeling right now. It might go right down to the wire and he'll pull off a trade with a team that has to clear cap, who knows, but it's going to be a grind.

Edited by aliboy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Will be very interesting to see what happens with Shea Weber, 24+ million cap recapture if he retires in the last season of his contract.  Would the league allow that to be charged to Nashville?  If they change the rules or make an exception that will be very telling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, aliboy said:

He looks a little tired, worn out, frustrated to me, like he's trying to get things done but it ain't easy. He looks like a lot of fans are feeling right now. It might go right down to the wire and he'll pull off a trade with a team that has to clear cap, who knows, but it's going to be a grind.

I agree. Reminds me of at the draft when Benning and Sakic were talking on the draft floor and Benning kind of threw up his hands and walked away clearly disappointed with what Sakic was asking for Barrie. Jimbo is trying but it’s a tough go right now. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I agree. Reminds me of at the draft when Benning and Sakic were talking on the draft floor and Benning kind of threw up his hands and walked away clearly disappointed with what Sakic was asking for Barrie. Jimbo is trying but it’s a tough go right now. 

ack I missed the telecast.  Would like to have seen that!

55 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Will be very interesting to see what happens with Shea Weber, 24+ million cap recapture if he retires in the last season of his contract.  Would the league allow that to be charged to Nashville?  If they change the rules or make an exception that will be very telling.

Nashville matched an offer sheet courtesy of Philadelphia.  They had just lost Suter to free agency and there was no way they would let Weber go.  They also could have paid Weber his 14M and still be well under the cap.  

37 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Literally fighting for his job right now.......    

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

if they let Weber's contract slide we should ask for the same judgement retroactively.