The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks buy out Ryan Spooner

Lee will get more then 6 mil/year unless he takes an NYI discount. 

You guys are forgetting that Marky will be our leader for years to come (our MVP last season), and we will have to give him a raise next summer. 

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

He was actually dominating at the AHL level.   Gaudette is an NHL player now.  Although he is still developing into the player he will become.  He can develop on the wing in the NHL while Sutter holds his future 3rd line centre role.  I’m pretty sure he’s not going back to Utica.

I think Gaudette will start in Utica regardless. They want him at center and his offence to develop and he needs time on the first line and PP. in the interim you go with Sutter, get him off to a good start and trade him by mid season then call AG up to replace him. Win win 

I would like to see Schaller, Sutter moved next but that might not be easy?

I feel there will be several trades to free up cap room starting with Toronto..Toronto need to trade Nikita Zaitsev 4.5 millions 4 yrs remaining so they

can sign Marner to his big contract, 10.5 x 4yrs ?

Will be interesting if there are ant offer sheets on some very good RFA players?

Going to heat up tomorrow...

I predict we sign Meyers 6.7 x 6 yrs --- Jordie Benn  3million x 3 yrs home town deal 3yrs...

Maybe work out deal with Hutton in last hours ? Hutton 2.8 x 3 yrs..? 

Hope we don't sign Nyquist to a ridiculous deal? I don't think he is upgrade to the wingers we have now..

Miller, Boser, Pearson, Beartchi , we also have Virtanen and Leivo that can fill top 6 ..

Just now, wildcam said:

I would like to see Schaller, Sutter moved next but that might not be easy?

I feel there will be several trades to free up cap room starting with Toronto..Toronto need to trade Nikita Zaitsev 4.5 millions 4 yrs remaining so they

can sign Marner to his big contract, 10.5 x 4yrs ?

Will be interesting if there are ant offer sheets on some very good RFA players?

Going to heat up tomorrow...

I predict we sign Meyers 6.7 x 6 yrs --- Jordie Benn  3million x 3 yrs home town deal 3yrs...

Maybe work out deal with Hutton in last hours ? Hutton 2.8 x 3 yrs..? 

Hope we don't sign Nyquist to a ridiculous deal? I don't think he is upgrade to the wingers we have now..

Miller, Boser, Pearson, Beartchi , we also have Virtanen and Leivo that can fill top 6 ..

If we’re signing Nyquist I think it’s likely that Baertschi is being shipped out for D help.

I just don’t see a scenario where we’d have both on our roster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we’re signing Nyquist I think it’s likely that Baertschi is being shipped out for D help.

He is on a good contract. Will someone want to take the gamble with his health issues tho?

I can see Sven in Buffalo. Maybe part of a risto deal?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

He is on a good contract. Will someone want to take the gamble with his health issues tho?

I can see Sven in Buffalo. Maybe part of a risto deal?

I think there would be teams that would take a chance. When healthy he’s a 40 point player.

We most likely won’t get great value, but if it frees up cap space to upgrade the top 6 it’s worth it.

Buffalos a possibility but he’d probably be a throw in in a deal for Ristolainen. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

More like, Hello Mr. Nyquist.  Was figuring they'd send him to Utica as he's been a near PPG player in the AHL.  But perhaps they really need that capspace now instead of riding him out and having him help the Comets, as he can also play C.  Evidently there was no market for him, same as Hutton.  Oh well, just the way it goes, gotta move on.

Essentially we have two years in which to play, then we may need to clear things out with Petey and Hughes up.  That being said, we could potentially bridge them but best to maintain flexibility.  As of now, we have quite a bit coming off after those two years:

Edler ($6.0)

Sutter ($4.35)

Pearson ($3.7)

Baertschi ($3.37)

This is not including those that are off after this season -- Tanev, Stecher, Schaller, Jake, Marky.

Boeser should put us at about $10mil in capspace, add Myers for about $6 leaves us $4.  Should be close for Nyquist, but likely need another move or two.  Of course, if Loui is moved July 1st then there's no problem at all.  Hopefully this isn't a sign that they don't have a deal for him pending.

that would be lovely. As @oldnews elaborated on, we're in an OK cap position.

I'm really wondering if there's a deal in the works for tomorrow. Giving Ottawa Baer for taking Loui would be a great deal for all imo. 

• Cheers 1

I honestly don't see the point to this besides gearing up to make a (probably bad) splash in Free Agency. He was the type of player we need in Utica (playmaking center) and his cap was manageable for this year. 

Regarding Sutter/Gaudette, we're going to need to see Gaudette show that he belongs as a future member of the team pretty soon. He's the same age as McCann and only a year younger than Horvat. If he doesn't show that he could be a future player for us by the end of the year then it's unlikely he can grow into that role long term. With that said, we need to give him a chance to prove himself and moving the now redundant Sutter for literally anything is probably the best and most likely route. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

If they sign Myers, Lee, and one lower-cost but solid UFA dman with size, this WILL be a playoff team.  Even Nyquist will mean we will be in the hunt till the end, as we will have added two 20-goal guys plus Pearson since last year.  Combine that increase in scoring with hopefully better D, and we'll be right in there.  Kindof doubt it's Lee as well, but it's very exciting as Jimbo is looking to take this team to the next level.

This would definitely make the Canucks a bit scary. JB would need to get Boeser locked in for $7Mx6 and Myers for $6Mx6 to be able to afford a Benn or Nemeth at $2M. If Tanev is traded, we can sign Schenn to a cheaper contract to shore up the right side. A baertschi or Sutter trade, combined with the savings on Tanev, could get us a Nyquist type potentially. The concern is our overflow at the forward position. We still have Leivo, Motte, and Goldy with raises incoming (5% minimum) unless one of them is a sign and trade. Personally, I can see Leivo signed to $2Mx2 for depth. Motte and Goldy at $975k and $925k respectively. 

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Do you know if Roussell can start the season on LTIR considering he was injured during last season? That would give us another 3 million wiggle room.

Yes but you can't really utilize that cap because you need it free for when he returns to the lineup.

But regardless, they have all the room they need.

The only thing this might preclude is 'weaponizing' what might otherwise remain to eat a bad contract and get a future in the process.

Ie they may not be able to swap a retained Schaller for Reaves and take a Vegas future/rhd prospect in the process - then again, I think the estimates on Myers, Boeser could prove overestimated, in which case they may have the cap to both sign/acquire a pretty good 3LHD placeholder and take on cap like Reaves if there's enough incentive.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Not to say he won't clear or that his tiny salary would matter but sautner is actually waiver eligible (has 4 pro seasons under his belt). 

thanks.  maybe another reason Hutton wasn't qualified - keeping Sautner at the NHL level as 4LHD may be the intent.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be lovely. As @oldnews elaborated on, we're in an OK cap position.

I'm really wondering if there's a deal in the works for tomorrow. Giving Ottawa Baer for taking Loui would be a great deal for all imo. 

Goldobin could also be part compensation - and younger/cheaper with good production (if not deflated last year - Goldobin had to be the goalpost green jacket winner).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

which team will trade for him? what have you found out? 

I would say check with the playoff teams with the worst PK. I recall seeing a few teams getting in trouble on the PK this past playoffs.

Sutter could help those teams.

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes but you can't really utilize that cap because you need it free for when he returns to the lineup.

But regardless, they have all the room they need.

The only thing this might preclude is 'weaponizing' what might otherwise remain to eat a bad contract and get a future in the process.

Ie they may not be able to swap a retained Schaller for Reaves and take a Vegas future/rhd prospect in the process - then again, I think the estimates on Myers, Boeser could prove overestimated, in which case they may have the cap to both sign/acquire a pretty good 3LHD placeholder and take on cap like Reaves if there's enough incentive.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm thinking that if we use it, we can keep an extra guy with the intent of trading sometime into the season to a team who has a player who is injured or doesn't work out. We  could send down Gaudette in the meantime. We also usually incur injuries so there might be another LTIR to offset Roussel's salary once he is healthy.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Love Baer.  He’s s great guy.  I really don’t think he has any trade value though.  Baer and Goldy are with us or down in Utica.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Baer.  He’s s great guy.  I really don’t think he has any trade value though.  Baer and Goldy are with us or down in Utica.  

I don't think he has much value either, however I believe there will be teams looking for cheaper scoring depth after striking out in free agency.

Baertschi is a 40 point player on a decent contract when healthy. For a 4th round pick or bottom airing D it's worth a gamble.

• Upvote 2