The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Boeser is really asking for 7 per year, this deal should be done already.  7 years times 8 years.  That’s a friggin’ ton of money for Brock, and a really good deal for us. 

He'd want more for an 8 year contract.  Canucks do that deal in a heartbeat.  Bridge deal makes sense for both parties as the Canucks' window is opening.  Just gotta avoid any issues with qualifying offers.  I'd rather pay a higher AAV to avoid the backloaded deal. 

Simple issue to work out in the next CBA where QO is based off of AAV instead of the last year's payout.

13 hours ago, mll said:

At roughly the -6:30 mark.  Kuzma speculates that it could be a similar structure to Meier's where the deal is backloaded with 1 year left to go to free agency.  

hasn't earned a $7m payday yet.  If he jolds out, ala Nylander, I hope JB moves him for a mint rather than cave like Dumbass did

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Provost said:

$7 million on a back loaded short term contract is too much.

If he wants to hit the $7 million mark, he needs to sign for 7-8 years.

Short term deal and he has to rely solely on past performance and he is a 55 point player, so that earns him $4-6 million per.  Long term contracts and he gets to argue future potential and buying free agent years to bump up the amount.

Vrana just got under $3.5 million per on a 2 year bridge deal as a winger in a similar situation, he had 24 goals and 47 points last season.  Boeser’s 26 goals and 56 points doesn’t earn him more than double the salary.

The thing is he isn’t a 55 point player. He is when injuries cut a portion of his season, sure. But he was on pace for 38 goals as a rookie, 31 last year. That counts in negotiations. 

34 minutes ago, mll said:

Boston has a similar situation with MacAvoy who is also a RFA with no arbitration rights.  Cam Neely is arguing that his injuries weaken his case for a big payday.

“You look at a player that’s had some health issues two years in a row at a young age,” said Neely to NBC Sports Boston, referencing McAvoy. “You look at that and say ‘Okay, is that going to stay the same or is it just bad luck?’ We all can see what Charlie is capable of doing. You’d like to see a bigger sample size, obviously. Since the cap has come into effect we’ve all seen deals that have been signed where three years down the road you say it’s not as good as you anticipated it would be.

“Charlie has had three playoff years and two full seasons where he hasn’t been healthy. A lot of times obviously that’s not his fault, but it’s nice to have a better sample size of where a player is going to go. You see the skill set that [McAvoy] has. We want both Charlie and Brandon to be Bruins for their whole career, but we also have to do what’s right for the organization.”

McAvoy, just like Boeser, will get payed. I'm not too worried about either of those players. 

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

The thing is, he is literally a 55 point producer.  His entire sample size in the NHL show that is consistently his production level.

If he is looking for a short term deal, that is on the basis of what he has earned so far.  It would then be up to him to show that he can break the 30 goal or 60 point mark and earn a bigger payday.

You don’t get to pretend injuries don’t count.  That is the entire reason that Tanev couldn’t return us a 1st round and blue chip prospect in trade.

His entire 2 year sample-siza was cut short because of a freak injury and a lingering injury. It is unreasonable to expect Boeser to get boarded into an open bench door back first every season. He's a 55 point producer on injury-shortened seasons sure. 

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

His entire 2 year sample-siza was cut short because of a freak injury and a lingering injury. It is unreasonable to expect Boeser to get boarded into an open bench door back first every season. He's a 55 point producer on injury-shortened seasons sure. 

That wrist tho? 

9 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The thing is he isn’t a 55 point player. He is when injuries cut a portion of his season, sure. But he was on pace for 38 goals as a rookie, 31 last year. That counts in negotiations. 

If it does, it's not a big factor

The  bad contract expert spender Jim has given out so many bad deals he’s hand cuffed himself. (Shocking nobody saw this coming.lol.) 

What he’s asking for isn’t unreasonable could have let an all to often injured OLD edler leave.maybe sign boeser before bottom pair Ben and depth fantonberg. 

Get rid of past mistakes plugs eriksdone and Brandon throw my team mates under the bus Softer. To name a few of the many.

maybe don’t worry about being a fingers crossed wild card team and actually try to assemble a group that has the chance to win a cup.

The same path since Jim got here the path to cap problems and mediocrity followed by failure. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

9 hours ago, mll said:

Boston has a similar situation with MacAvoy who is also a RFA with no arbitration rights.  Cam Neely is arguing that his injuries weaken his case for a big payday.

“You look at a player that’s had some health issues two years in a row at a young age,” said Neely to NBC Sports Boston, referencing McAvoy. “You look at that and say ‘Okay, is that going to stay the same or is it just bad luck?’ We all can see what Charlie is capable of doing. You’d like to see a bigger sample size, obviously. Since the cap has come into effect we’ve all seen deals that have been signed where three years down the road you say it’s not as good as you anticipated it would be.

“Charlie has had three playoff years and two full seasons where he hasn’t been healthy. A lot of times obviously that’s not his fault, but it’s nice to have a better sample size of where a player is going to go. You see the skill set that [McAvoy] has. We want both Charlie and Brandon to be Bruins for their whole career, but we also have to do what’s right for the organization.”

Well said SeaBass

• Upvote 2

Im fine with 7mil for Boeser. Its fair and he can atleast put the puck in the net. Lock him up for 4 years and then buy his UFA years in his next contract, by then we will have a much more clear picture of the teams capability along with our cap situation. Or we move him for a boatload at the end of his next contract to make room for Pete and Hughes big paydays and Podkolzin. 

For those of you who still think that the salary cap is an issue, I'll do the math for you.

Cap Friendly shows $5.058M cap space counting 24 contracts signed with 2 left to sign.  3 of those contracts won't be on the roster when the season starts.  Take your pick but I think it's Eriksson $6.0 (cap savings 1.075), Schaller $1.9 (1.075) and Biega ($825).  That gives  $8.033M to play with as the roster sits now.  

If Boeser signs for $7M aav and Goldy $925 they're good.

There are still trade possibilities like Schaller or Leivo in September as teams are looking to round out their roster depth

27 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So he wants 7M

Canucks probably offering 6M

I say this will end at 6.5M

I like that figure too.

6milx4 would be perfect, but 6.5x4 is acceptable too.

It's seems strange debating .5-1mil but it sets a precendent, and I think he needs to prove he's worth a long term 8mil deal.

28 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So he wants 7M

Canucks probably offering 6M

I say this will end at 6.5M

I think the term is a bigger factor.

$6.5x6 is a good contract... $6.5x3 is a bad contract.  Any contract at a 4-5 year term is a bad contract as it dramatically reduces club control.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I like that figure too.

6milx4 would be perfect, but 6.5x4 is acceptable too.

It's seems strange debating .5-1mil but it sets a precendent, and I think he needs to prove he's worth a long term 8mil deal.

In 4 years he'll be 26 with 1 year to free agency and will have all the leverage.  Do you then give him 8 years that brings him up to age 34.  

The Sharks are in a win now mode and who knows where they will be in 4 years when some of their already 30ish core players start to slow down.  This is Meier's reasoning of why his camp wanted 4 years and that structure.  He says they 1st agreed on the length before starting to talk money.  Via google translate as the original quote is in German:

We had a clear idea of what we wanted. We are very satisfied with what we have now. When it runs out, I'm 26 years old and ready for the big ticket.
Q: The big ticket?
To negotiate freely with other teams, I would have to be 27 years old when the contract expires. My fourth year contract with San Jose brings in $ 10 million. The club then has the right to extend my contract for another year, provided that they pay those ten million.
Then in the next five years, I would get an average wage of $ 6.8 million.
If San Jose does not pay the ten million for a fifth year, I can bargain with other franchises.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boeser was not boarded, he was skating backwards and moved forward to hit Cal Clutterbuck(bad idea BB) and he took the worse of the hit and went into the open bench door.