Pearson 128

Edler 127 (in 57 games)

Beagle 102 (in 57 games)

Biega 101 (in 41 games).

(lost Gud's 132.)

we also lost Schenn. Even in his short stint he cracked our top 10 for hits

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

One assist and zero goals in total over  his last 11 Playoff games.......

Not great offensive contributions..... but no doubt Ferland is a tough guy which will be helpful. 

If Ferland produces points at the level he has up to this point ( I think he will produce more, tbh) he breaks into our top 5 : (1) EP40 ppg+, (2) Horvat ppg or close; (3) Boeser ppg- 65 points, 70? (4) Miller 50 plus points? (5) Ferland 40 points, maybe as few as 35.  Possibly Hughes gets 45 points and beats him out.  Add in the scoring of Baertschi (uncertain whether to include him or not) and Pearson -- and maybe Juolevi -- and the team should score at least 40 more goals.  And give up not that many more, if any more.  

Ferland isn't the skater than Virtanen is, but he seems to know how to get into scoring positions and stay there.  We haven't had a player like this in... not sure if we ever had.  Bertuzzi was a physical player, but not like this. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

One assist and zero goals in total over  his last 11 Playoff games.......

Not great offensive contributions..... but no doubt Ferland is a tough guy which will be helpful. 

You’d like to see more offensive contributions during the playoffs, but Ferland is the type of player who can still be very effective without putting up points during the postseason. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gameburn said:

If Ferland produces points at the level he has up to this point ( I think he will produce more, tbh) he breaks into our top 5 : (1) EP40 ppg+, (2) Horvat ppg or close; (3) Boeser ppg- 65 points, 70? (4) Miller 50 plus points? (5) Ferland 40 points, maybe as few as 35.  Possibly Hughes gets 45 points and beats him out.  Add in the scoring of Baertschi (uncertain whether to include him or not) and Pearson -- and maybe Juolevi -- and the team should score at least 40 more goals.  And give up not that many more, if any more.  

Ferland isn't the skater than Virtanen is, but he seems to know how to get into scoring positions and stay there.  We haven't had a player like this in... not sure if we ever had.  Bertuzzi was a physical player, but not like this. 

If we score 40 more goals, and have 20 less against, that’s a plus 60 for us.  We not only make the playoffs, but get in the top three for our division.  I think it’s very reasonable to see that happen.  

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I've never been more excited about the Canucks.  Worst that can happen is that the team takes longer than expected to come together and they miss the playoffs.  They certainly won't finish with fewer points.  Look at the tangible additions: Ferland, Miller, Myers, Hughes and Benn.  Look at the growth: Pettersson is a year older and now more physically prepared, Boeser is starting the year without missing summer training, and Virtanen now knows he is a legit NHLer who will get ice time.   

And look at the intangibles: Sutter to start the season!!  Tanev and Edler not injured!  And Horvat in possession of 2 legit top 9 players to play with that he didn't have last year.

It will be an absolute joy to watch these games.

I think San Jose is vulnerable, Anaheim is not rebuilt, Calgary knows they can't win in the playoffs (something is wrong with the type of team they built), Edmonton is surprisingly much like last year's team (really is a surprise) -- all of which means we really can challenge for a playoff spot, not just a wildcard.  I can see us finishing 3rd in the division and being the kind of team that no one wants to play. 

Both Alberta teams confuse me - Calgary has really done nothing at all - losing Smith for Talbot makes no sense. I thought at least they's re-tool their defence - letting Fantenberg walk has me shaking my head. As for Edmonton they signed a couple of Euro players for cheap - looks like Holland is hoping they can play top 6? And I think he wants to give Tippet a chance to see what he can do with this team that hitchcock couldn't.

I see us definitely fighting for a wild card spot this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Beautifully summarized.  

Benning is more positive about Eriksson in conversations at least.  But I doubt he plays one more game with the team.  It's the Gagner treatment for this guy I imagine. I think it's the minors and then hope he opts for getting out of his contract.  It is worth noting that Benning managed to trade Gagner for Spooner.   Which seemed like a hockey trade, until the Canucks bought out Spooner.  Which also seemed odd at the time -- why trade for a guy and ten minutes later you buy him out?  I think Spooner's contract was shorter than Gagner's which meant the buyout was practical, unlike the one that would have been needed for Gagner.  So... assuming this is correct, it may be that the Canucks will trade Eriksson to another team for a player with an equally bad contract, but shorter, so more workable for a buyout?

Sutter can actually play. You are right.  He probably deserves a chance to play a year of hockey. He is probably motivated too, and he is a Sutter.  This team is starting to look like a team a Sutter would like to play on.

Tanev is the best trade material (for a hockey trade, not a money move) and I think will be gone by this year's Trade Deadline. Provided that Woo or Juolevi (or even Tryamkin) can become a regular. Which means, imo, the odds are in favor of a Tanev trade, and earlier than the TDL.  

So... if Tanev is traded, then what do we get back?

Assuming the rebuild is over, do they look for a depth forward who is NOT prone to injury?  

Or do they bring back a draft pick or a prospect, because the rebuild is only 90% over?

If they trade Tanev they have to somehow get a top 4 RHD imo.

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They didn't want him back cus his concussion history and his unwillingness to play even when small injury. I think i read it on these boards about him not willing to play thru injuries. I think maybe he just wanted to get out of there before TDL last year. 

I don't get this. He played 71 games last season, despite apparently having an injury riddled year. That doesn't really scream "unwilling to play through injuries" to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shazzam said:

we also lost Schenn. Even in his short stint he cracked our top 10 for hits

yeah - he really stepped up - glad to see him get a contract with Tampa.

I didn't include him because he was a temp placeholder - debated whether Biega (as a 7/8 should be on that list).

19 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

IIRC these comments were directed at Virtanen/McCann and maybe Hutton back in 2015/16.  Burrows made some as well. Comments (leadership) like this is why people supported having some vets around as we cycled in the kids. 

I also don’t remember many more call-outs and Jake and Ben have rounded into quality pros so maybe the veteran thing worked.

Further, being more competitive in games helps players find that drive you were talking about so they often go hand in hand.  Even in losing seasons you can be more competitive than you would have been by adding a few guys.  It’s hard to measure but I’ll have my rookies rubbing shoulders with competitive, effective guys like Ryan Miller and Derek Dorsett any day. 

This.... +1

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

who cares what the Leafs nation is writing about...

Sweet deal for the type of player we need, in his prime, who wants to come to Vancouver. I'm just gonna put up my feet and enjoy this.

yes - who cares.....

but at the same time, when Toronto tries to trash talk you.....it can be fun to oblige them = (I'm not as classy as the Sedins....I throw back).

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Wow, a lot of baseless assumptions 

This reminds of when I took 2 candles, put them in front of a mirror, in a dark room, at midnight, when the moon was full. I said “bloody Mary” 3 times and nothing happened. 

Just because you believe it will happen, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. A lot of these assumptions are pure witchcraft. 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 8:58 PM, falcons said:

Going to be in so cal end of October . Just checked schedule and they play both the kings and ducks . Wife won’t let me see both games. Which game should I choose ?

“Wife won’t let me”...

You have much bigger problems than the embarrassment of choice.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is my favourite line in that tripe article, talk about a blind spot: 

And yet here the Benning Canucks are, inching closer and closer to the $81.5 million ceiling by the day with a roster that screams, at best, “first-round exit”.

Fair enough.

After all he should know, what a first round exit team looks like. 

The garbage these writers come up with is amazing

55 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Both Alberta teams confuse me - Calgary has really done nothing at all - losing Smith for Talbot makes no sense. I thought at least they's re-tool their defence - letting Fantenberg walk has me shaking my head. As for Edmonton they signed a couple of Euro players for cheap - looks like Holland is hoping they can play top 6? And I think he wants to give Tippet a chance to see what he can do with this team that hitchcock couldn't.

I see us definitely fighting for a wild card spot this year.

The Tippett hiring itself confounds me. If there was ever an obvious chasm between a coach's preferred style and the roster of players he has to implement it, that would be Tippett in Edm right now. Connor playing the trap will be both hilarious and tragic.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fair enough.

After all he should know, what a first round exit team looks like. 

The garbage these writers come up with is amazing

Lol first round exit is the next step for the Canucks. And I’d be happy just to see a playoff series next year. It’s a progression. It’s when your team is a first round exit year after year is a problem. What a pile of garbage no doubt. 

• Upvote 2