The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

Just now, DeNiro said:

They’re built as a regular season team.

Enough points in the lineup to get them to the playoffs but they don’t have the personnel to adapt to tougher grinding games.

The question for the Canucks will be do they have enough points in the lineup to make the playoffs. That remains to be seen. If they make it though I absolutely like the way they’re built for playoffs. Much better suited than the Leafs.

I absolutely believe we have added enough to make the leap into the playoffs. It's not only the high end improvements made, but the depth of this lineup as well. Having Myers, Benn and Hughes if the fray will hopefully insulate Edler and Tanev to the point where they can stay healthier. And even if we do take injuries, the added blueline depth means we won't have to play poor Stetcher 30 minutes a night to compensate. Having Ferland and Miller in the top 6 means we can drop guys like Roussel, Leivo, and Baer down the lineup to provide more of a scoring punch to our bottom two lines. If god forbid Bo or Petey are out for a significant amount of time, we have Miller to slot in as a serviceable top 6 center. All of this depth, coupled with an easier schedule and a far bigger and grittier team tells me that we absolutely have what it takes to make the jump.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

They've lost Zaitsev and Gardiner and gained 1 year of Barrie

They've lost Kadri and gained Kerfoot with Marner still not signed yet.

It doesn't seem that much better. and if Barrie leaves next summer, it seems like their D overall is worse and the Tavares-Matthews-Nylander-Marner quadrafecta is still stupid expensive

Cant get my head around the level of bias for Toronto and this is absolute proof. They would have the reader believe that Toronto completely fleeced the other team in all the transactions. When really all they did was loose some offence for defense. 

So biased its un believable.

Edited by Shirotashi

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’re built as a regular season team.

Enough points in the lineup to get them to the playoffs but they don’t have the personnel to adapt to tougher grinding games.

The question for the Canucks will be do they have enough points in the lineup to make the playoffs. That remains to be seen.

If they make it though I absolutely like the way they’re built for playoffs. Much better suited than the Leafs.

Dubas has not been shy about admitting he believes it's all about skill, and most recently with the loss of grit he seemed to brush it off.  Not sure how he hasn't seen the problem with the three-straight first round exits, but appears he's doubling down anyway.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Dubas has not been shy about admitting he believes it's all about skill, and most recently with the loss of grit he seemed to brush it off.  Not sure how he hasn't seen the problem with the three-straight first round exits, but appears he's doubling down anyway.

He probably thinks he’s building a golden age Red Wings style team with Babcock at the helm. 

He fails to realize that even a so called skilled team like the Red Wings had a ton of grit in their lineup with the likes of Holmstrom, Franzen, Cleary, Draper, McCarty, Maltby, Knuble to name a few.

For a guy that looks like he still gets his lunch money stolen it’s not surprising.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Honestly, I think we are the most improved Canadian team. We have added Ferland, Miller, Myers, and Benn. We've resigned the right guys, and haven't lost much. Now, we just need to resign Boeser. 

Toronto has made some interesting moves to get around the cap, but in doing so may be in even more of a mess long term. Don't see how they can resign Marner, and still be able to resign Barrie once the year is up. They gave up a 1st rounder just to get rid of Marleau's contract.

That team was at it's best when they had JVR, Bozak and Komarov and no Tavares. That signing cost them an entire line, one of which was a 30 goal scorer for them. This offseason, at best, they stayed the same as last year but you'd have to have some really rosey glasses. Barrie is better Gardiner, maybe significantly better. Kadri is better than Kerfoot, Ceci is better than Zaitsev. Brown and Marleau are much better than Spezza. All in all they got worse on paper. Unless Nylander re-finds his game which hopefully he does. I get a lot of people are not a fan of him but I don't wanna see him fail. 

Call me a homer but I'd argue we have a better team overall.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Rogers owns SN, rogers own the leafs. It’s unfortunate but hey, that’s smart business. Plus they are the most popular team in Canada other than maybe MTL. They’re playing to their audience. That’s good for ratings. 

Edited by NucksCelts
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

You kind of missed a key caveat in the article:

"This is not an order of strength heading into 2019-20"

Of coure it isn't an 'order of strength', derp - it's a ranking of offseason management performance and pretense to order who has improved their team the most.

Everyone here clearly understands that.

You'd be the only exception.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:28 PM, NucksCelts said:

Rogers owns SN, rogers own the leafs. It’s unfortunate but hey, that’s smart business. Plus their the most popular team in Canada other than maybe MTL. They’re playing to their audience. That’s good for ratings. 

It's an insult to the intelligence of their engaged fan base.

I have some friends who are diehard Leafs fans - not one of them believes their team has 'improved' this summer regardless of one Barrie trade.

That is such a hard oversell of reality, that that kind of thing can come back to bite.

They just lost in the 1st round for the 3rd straight time.

They were sold that they were "Stanley Cup favorites"

Eveyone watching has seen a steady exodus of assets the past few weeks - one trade did not 'fix' the Leafs - and ironically, that trade, like the Ceci one is for an expiring asset.

If the big Leaf window is prior to the Barrie expiration, they have a bunch of work to do to be as good as they were last year - which was a first round exit team.

If their intent is to sell pablum to casual fans, well done.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

Rogers owns SN, rogers own the leafs. It’s unfortunate but hey, that’s smart business. Plus their the most popular team in Canada other than maybe MTL. They’re playing to their audience. That’s good for ratings. 

getout.jpg.0acd2a59134615f4de5f2756e987406f.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shift-4 said:
im·prove
/imˈpro͞ov/
verb

1. make or become better.

San Jose at #5 :huh:

Have they added anything of interest?  No, they have only resigned players they already had and LOST their captain. I don't think this writer understands the definition of improve.

That's the point where I questioned the intelligence of the writer, didn't bother going further.

• Upvote 3

All depends on how they fit Marner in. If he leaves, dreadful off-season. If he signs and they shift players then we'll have to judge based on that.

Reilly and Barrie are two of the best PMD in the league on the same team though but their defensive depth takes a bit of a hit. On the whole I think they basically break even so far, everything rests on Marner.

Meanwhile the Canucks get younger, tougher, more offense and stronger D...

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They're trying to help Torontonians get over their Kawhi grief through pity fake news articles.   

Seems legit.

Who is this "Luke Fox" and what has she done with the truth?

I think you nailed it Deb. TOR sports fans are feeling blue - and green with envy ;) ... so SN to the rescue to make them feel better!  Whatever helps you sleep at night Leafs fans. Can't wait until our new and improved Canucks destroy your lacking Leafs on December 10th, but even moreso on Hockey Night in Canada on February 29th, so everyone can witness the beating :)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He probably thinks he’s building a golden age Red Wings style team with Babcock at the helm. 

He fails to realize that even a so called skilled team like the Red Wings had a ton of grit in their lineup with the likes of Holmstrom, Franzen, Cleary, Draper, McCarty, Maltby, Knuble to name a few.

For a guy that looks like he still gets his lunch money stolen it’s not surprising.

I haven’t seen the doc Russian Five talked about around these parts, but it’s amazing.

If you haven’t seen it, it deals specifically  with that eras 5-man Russian unit that was part of that team, but McCarty shanny, and others all feature in it.

Great movie about a great team.

As they say, the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see how much better TOR is once the season is underway.

I look at the Leafs roster and they do have some highly skilled guys, but they don't really have the gritty support players, the ones who actually go to war in the playoffs.

Matthews and Kapanen apprently have been feuding for a while, and no longer want to play on the same line. Marner still needs to be signed a huge contract, maybe another team even offer sheets him, knowing TOR's cap restraints.