The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

Yeah, I’m actually feeling bad for Winnipeg at this point.  

Was a huge fan of the team they were putting together and now it’s all fiddle faddle foo. 

Still a lot of nice pieces but hard not to think how much better it could be if Laine wasn’t being a baby and Buff wasn’t contemplating retirement. Maybe if Buff told them earlier they re-up with Myers or hang on to Trouba.  They’re also in tough to “win” a trade involving Laine... he decides to dial it in and you aren’t replacing a 6’5 40 goal scorer.  

Silliness.  Makes me happy for the (at least so far) solid crew JB is putting together. 

Then again, watch them have a huge bounce back year despite the circus.  That’s sports.  

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I’m actually feeling bad for Winnipeg at this point.  

Was a huge fan of the team they were putting together and now it’s all fiddle faddle foo. 

Still a lot of nice pieces but hard not to think how much better it could be if Laine wasn’t being a baby and Buff wasn’t contemplating retirement. Maybe if Buff told them earlier they re-up with Myers or hang on to Trouba.  They’re also in tough to “win” a trade involving Laine... he decides to dial it in and you aren’t replacing a 6’5 40 goal scorer.  

Silliness.  Makes me happy for the (at least so far) solid crew JB is putting together. 

Then again, watch them have a huge bounce back year despite the circus.  That’s sports.  

Thats sports for sure!! As soon as i read the first line i thought about the Jets in the playoffs again and the Nucks missing them :(

• Cheers 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:33 PM, Bitter Melon said:

Shades of Michael Grabner.

I think it's too early to say. Since he is so young still at 21? 

He will become a perennial 40 goal scorer, but if he can't round out his overall game, then he's probably just gonna be an average player all around, with elite goal scoring ability. Pretty one dimensional player to me. But guys like that get paid in the NHL, even if they are one dimensional :mellow:

Does Laine remain a Jet? That's what I'm curious to see. Stalmate where neither Jets management budge, or Laine's camp budges? 

Who would you guys rather have? Boeser or Laine? I don't necessarily see Boeser as a perennial 40 goal scorer, but I think he can reach 40 goals a few times throughout his career. I see him more of a 30-35 goal scorer, and of course with these things, I'd love to be wrong. 

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He will become a perennial 40 goal scorer, but if he can't round out his overall game, then he's probably just gonna be an average player all around, with elite goal scoring ability. Pretty one dimensional player to me. But guys like that get paid in the NHL, even if they are one dimensional :mellow:

Does Laine remain a Jet? That's what I'm curious to see. Stalmate where neither Jets management budge, or Laine's camp budges? 

Who would you guys rather have? Boeser or Laine? I don't necessarily see Boeser as a perennial 40 goal scorer, but I think he can reach 40 goals a few times throughout his career. I see him more of a 30-35 goal scorer, and of course with these things, I'd love to be wrong. 

Character and attitude alone makes Boeser the winner for me. 

There's not even evidence that Laine will be a perennial 40 goal scorer... especially with his work ethic on the ice. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-teams-reaching-out-to-winnipeg-jets-f-patrik-laine-s-camp-1.1370745

This might be the best news ever for Jets management.  Someone comes along and offers Laine a big time contract which gives Jets management an 'out' as they can simply say they can't match due to cap issues.  Compensation is likely multiple 1st round picks.  A day or two later, lock up Connor, and move on from this prima donna.

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

There is no proof that will happen.  He hit that number once and then went down to 30 goals the following year.  He could be a one year wonder.  Did the NHL figure him out?  Is he so one dimensional that the 44 goals is now an aberration and he really is only a 30 goal guy?  Brock hasn't played a full 82 games yet, but his goals per game is higher than Laine's.  Brock could end up the better goal scorer in his career, plus he at least has some other aspects to his game other than a one timer like Laine.  At this point I wouldn't trade Boeser for Laine straight up.  Winnipeg would have to add.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no proof that will happen.  He hit that number once and then went down to 30 goals the following year.  He could be a one year wonder.  Did the NHL figure him out?  Is he so one dimensional that the 44 goals is now an aberration and he really is only a 30 goal guy?  Brock hasn't played a full 82 games yet, but his goals per game is higher than Laine's.  Brock could end up the better goal scorer in his career, plus he at least has some other aspects to his game other than a one timer like Laine.  At this point I wouldn't trade Boeser for Laine straight up.  Winnipeg would have to add.

You're right. There is no "consistent" proof. but there is evidence that he can do it. It does take more than just one player being able to score goals. Laine needs to be given powerplay time, good line mates etc etc. He scored 44 goals in his second season. I think he can be a consistent 40 goal scorer, maybe not every year, but I think most years, he can hit low to mid 40's. He's done it as a 19 year old. He scored 36 in his first season, 44 in his second, 30 in his third. He's not declining for sure. Just starting his career. I think he'll figure things out. He's one of the NHL's young stars. But your right as well in that he is a one dimensional player. if he doesn't improve on that, then maybe he does not become a perennial 40 goal scorer. 

I also think Brock has the ability to be a better long term goal scorer than Laine. Reason is I think Boeser's a more complete player than Laine and he's got a better centreman in Pettersson. Who does Laine have? Little? IF he played with Schiefle then maybe. But EP over any of Winnipeg's centres any day :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You're right. There is no "consistent" proof. but there is evidence that he can do it. It does take more than just one player being able to score goals. Laine needs to be given powerplay time, good line mates etc etc. He scored 44 goals in his second season. I think he can be a consistent 40 goal scorer, maybe not every year, but I think most years, he can hit low to mid 40's. He's done it as a 19 year old. He scored 36 in his first season, 44 in his second, 30 in his third. He's not declining for sure. Just starting his career. I think he'll figure things out. He's one of the NHL's young stars. But your right as well in that he is a one dimensional player. if he doesn't improve on that, then maybe he does not become a perennial 40 goal scorer. 

I also think Brock has the ability to be a better long term goal scorer than Laine. Reason is I think Boeser's a more complete player than Laine and he's got a better centreman in Pettersson. Who does Laine have? Little? IF he played with Schiefle then maybe. But EP over any of Winnipeg's centres any day :)

Let’s not forget he scored something like 17 in one month last year too ... and then who knows what happened.  Aside from the PP time he’s managed what he has playing on the second line too as you mentioned.   If their ever was a time for a bridge deal this is it. 

• Upvote 1