The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, reyezone said:

Are you saying 2011 Kesler was better than our current version of Bo and it's not even close? 

All you gotta do is look at goals. Kesler put up 41 that year. Bo's best so far is the 27 he put up last year. I suppose you could say that Kesler's previous best was 26, but he'd actually put up more points the year prior than he did in 2010-11. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bo put up around that much this year (75), but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Call him out all you want, the point is if he was getting paid 1-2 nobody would he talking about this, and most would be happy to have him in the lineup killing penalties and playing against the best competition in his own zone.   Both Leivo and Godlobin were gifted PP time and juicy assignments last season - but couldn’t produce more then LE in the same role, not that he’s been given much of the same - but Pearson seemed to like him on his line  ...  As an aside Messier produced close to a PPG as a 36 year old on some bad teams (after exodus)  - but it might have been the biggest mistake this franchise ever made.  That and hiring Keenan.   If he accepted a second line role and an A and fell in line behind Linden that team could have won some cups (especially if Bure was re-signed and not treated the way he was by management cheating out with their offer).   

Go ahead and spread the hate all you want - maybe make something on a cardboard sign and get on TV too.   Just don’t find it very classy - it’s no like he’s in the top six, mostly only the fourth line last year.  Yet somehow he’s supposed to get fifty points right?

Perhaps you need your own" I love loui " sign and get on tv with clown paint on   ,  The point is it has been 3 years  of waiting  for him to bump his slump., He wasn't mostly on the 4th line either  he was on ,every single line. , If he was playing for 1-2  million after what he said  his ass would of been on first bus to Utica  , Yep last year was see what you got   , Leivo was acquired so ya you need to see what you have .  Goldy was in and out of the line up all year  , he certainly didn't take Loui ice  time , remember Loui played 81 games  and was scratched once  ,  did I say how many point he should get ?  no I didn't ,  I said it is his effort and drive  , in 81 games 3 hits   11 goals  18a  -11   that is not effort or drive.   Goldy played 63 games 7 g 20 a -10 ,   Roussell 65 games  9g 22 a +5 ,    Jake 70 games  15 10a -4,    Leivo 49 g  10g 8a +4    there is 4 players  who played less than Loui yet almost got as many points,  so  again  they produced  with less games .   Again it is about effort  , that why Loui got scratched because of his effort level    

Pfft Messier the full 2 mins of pp  , top line mins with Bure and Molginy    He wasn't a point a game player either and was always a minus , he still a bum and will always will be   

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, reyezone said:

Are you saying 2011 Kesler was better than our current version of Bo and it's not even close? 

As of now it's not terribly close. Kesler scored 41 matching up against the other team's best players. He was physical and nasty to play against, and then there's that Nashville series. I think Bo can hit Kesler type numbers one day maybe not too far off, but Kesler was on another level defensively and Bo doesn't hit or get nasty. 

Just because people turned on him when he left doesn't mean he wasn't called Beast Mode for a reason.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

Whoa Guys  pump the breaks please.

I'm excited as heck about this season ... and I think we have a great team ... I think we have a solid shot at the playoffs and heck even a chance at the cup... I mean if St Louis can do it right?

But please dont kid yourselves. 

In 2010-11 Daniel had 104 points

Henrik had 94 points.

In 18-19 Pettersson had 66 points 

Boeser        had 56 points

I mean I dont even care full the sedins...but they guys were skilled as heck. Daniel won the scoring title that year... I mean that's a whopping 76 point diffrence between the 2 sets of stars .... that diffrence is more than Ep40 got last year.

I mean then if you touch on the goalies. Stat wise Lou is one of the best goaltenders to play the game. Him and Schneider had a save % that season of .929 and .928%. Marky is playing great.... but hes not Lou. Him and Demko were at .912 and .913... in goalie stats that's worłds apart. 

I'm not even going to dive into bo and Kessler. .

Long and short of it is we got a good team guys.... but put things into perspective...... 

Cheers

sedins didnt show promise in their careers until 5 yrs in petey got almost a point a game his first yr  in 4-5 yrs hes gonna own the art ross multiple times

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Does anyone know if tomrrow's game is on TV? I'm not seeing it on the Telus guide. I don't care if it's the preseason. I just sat through a 100 loss season for Jays. I need this!

I dont think it is, they playing LA in Saltlake City I believe the schedule says, will probably just be a stream up

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Eriksson

Motte

I could see Baer and Pearson swapping spots depending on the opponent / who’s hot.  Surprisingly  deep team considering some of the AHL squads we’ve iced in recent memory.  

Canucks in 2 Years

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Podkolzin

Ferland Gaudette Lind

Jasek Madden Virtanen 

Quinn Woo

Juolevi Myers

Edler Stecher 

Rafferty 

Demko

DePietro 

• Haha 2

Neither Goldobin nor Virtanen have shown any glimpses of progressing their overall game this preseason thus far, it's a bit disappointing but I'll reserve final judgement for the regalar season. Both still need to find a way to be putting in effort and getting themselves engaged without the puck.

If we were able to ship them for picks at this point they wouldn't be sorely missed. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think Ferland matches Burrows, and Henrik managed to put up 93 points. If Petey manages to put up 90+ points he'll likely be a contender for the Hart. While it's possible, I don't think it's likely. The Point is that nearly all of our top forwards from 2011 have a pretty significant edge over the top forwards now. I see it looking something like this...

Petey- 80 points vs Henrik- 93 points

Boeser - 70 points vs Daniel- 104 points

Horvat- 70 points vs Kesler- 73 points

Ferland-40 points vs Burrows 48 points

Miller- 50 points vs Samuelson- 50 points

= 310 points vs 368 points

That's already a significant edge towards the cup run team, and that's assuming Petey, Boeser and Horvat all have career years, and our top forwards all stay relatively healthy, which, let's face it, they likely won't. One also has to keep in mind that our defense was much more mobile then it is now, helping to bolster the forwards numbers. While our blueline should be much more mobile than it was last season, it's still not comparable to what our cup run D could provide. We ended that season with the highest GF average of any team in the league. To expect this roster to come anywhere close to that is imho setting one's expectations way too high.

Its a neat comparison.

You would be hard pressed to call Ferland as effective as a Burrows in his prime. He killed penalties, fore checked and hawked passing lanes like a demon. Came over the boards flying. Back to the bench with a blood nose after a board battle he would not give up on. Pure effort really, as he was not superhuman fast. Then could trade pucks in a cycle almost matching Sedinery magic. A jack of all trades!

But there is a way to deploy Ferland that many coaches would still grab his stick out of the pile. A harder match up for opposing teams. And he plays as hard!

One that makes me happy to watch the Canucks this season.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, the grinder said:

Perhaps you need your own" I love loui " sign and get on tv with clown paint on   ,  The point is it has been 3 years  of waiting  for him to bump his slump., He wasn't mostly on the 4th line either  he was on ,every single line. , If he was playing for 1-2  million after what he said  his ass would of been on first bus to Utica  , Yep last year was see what you got   , Leivo was acquired so ya you need to see what you have .  Goldy was in and out of the line up all year  , he certainly didn't take Loui ice  time , remember Loui played 81 games  and was scratched once  ,  did I say how many point he should get ?  no I didn't ,  I said it is his effort and drive  , in 81 games 3 hits   11 goals  18a  -11   that is not effort or drive.   Goldy played 63 games 7 g 20 a -10 ,   Roussell 65 games  9g 22 a +5 ,    Jake 70 games  15 10a -4,    Leivo 49 g  10g 8a +4    there is 4 players  who played less than Loui yet almost got as many points,  so  again  they produced  with less games .   Again it is about effort  , that why Loui got scratched because of his effort level    

Pfft Messier the full 2 mins of pp  , top line mins with Bure and Molginy    He wasn't a point a game player either and was always a minus , he still a bum and will always will be   

Ok we can meet each other down by the boards with our signs and then arm wrestle to see who leaves first ha ha.   Again it’s all about assignments - Leivo got his special teams on the PP - LE the PK, who played against who and ozone starts, minutes etc - and yes JV and Rousell played better and definitely are above him in the depth chart.   If LE played 63 games mostly next to EP or in the top six maybe he’d have ten more points - same with Leivo’s PP minutes.  

Messier - I said close to a PPG, and Bure held out and left while he was here, and Mogilny played three seasons of around 50 each, and yes he’s a bum - watching him skate really really fast circles from blue line to blue line cherry picking was hard to watch.  He deserved his hate but not so much for his production ...  LE we have him for up to three more years - that’s like  Messiers time - maybe he will break his leg too so at least one year we won’t see much of him - or maybe he will get pushed out - but not until someone’s taken his job and I’m not convinced that’s happened yet.    BTW 30 points playing mostly on the fourth  and third line, time and a handful of games in the top six and PK time is decent production. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

sedins didnt show promise in their careers until 5 yrs in petey got almost a point a game his first yr  in 4-5 yrs hes gonna own the art ross multiple times

I'm defneitly not downplaying Pettersson. I think hes amazing.... with more skill than the sedins. All I'm saying is hes not there yet. He will be

But not yet. No 104 point season for him this year. But in 3 seasons sure... definite possibility. Actually in 3 years our team really should start to resemble 2010-12 canucks

Just not yet is all I'm sayin

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

so much for training camp info, just went into a bicker fest about this roster vs 2011...yay! 

You got a good point!

Ok I'm done with the  comparisons

Back to training camp.. and a exciting season

Let's destroy LA tonight.... poor Ben Hutton in for a rough night lol

Cheers