The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

What about Biega?

No way Goldy gets cut IMO. That 900K is a solid contract and he would surely get picked up. 

Coach loves Motte. So I don't see that happening.

Leivo had a good showing last year and plays a well rounded enough game to play a bottom 6 role. So he stays.

Schaller is 100% going down. 

Gaudette is 100% going down if we can't move Sutter.

Loui looks to have earned himself a spot in the opening lineup. 

So it's between Biega and Fantenberg as the last cut IMO. If one of them gets plucked off waivers, no biggie. Utica has a little more depth on D this year, so we should be fine. 

More likely to 'sneak' Goldy through waivers now than in a month'ish when Roussel's back IMO. Whereas it will be easy for Eriksson to still clear then (assuming no further trades/injuries).

And if Goldy hasn't done enough this preseason to actually earn a top 9 spot, I'm ok with the 50/50 shot of him clearing to Utica.

That said, if Benning has a trade or two percolating in the background, that would allow Goldy to at least be 13th when Roussel is ready, I'm fine with that too.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Disagree on loui. If they can bury Gagner in the minors they can bury Eriksson. I'd rather have gags than loui any day all day.

I know it's only a savings of 1 mill, not 6 but it's better than nothing.

I'd be surprised to see it though.

That's the key. Plus he's currently tied for the team lead in scoring this preseason. If he bags another goal or couple more assists, I think he's earned his spot. We know he can play the PK, what else would he need to show to earn a spot? Trust me, I'm no Loui fan!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Ferland Pete Boes

Pearson Bo Miller 

beartschi Sutter Virtanen

beagle Gaudette Leivo

motte, Goldy 

edler Tanev

hughes Myers

Benn Stech

Brisebois

I would switch the bolded around and get rid of Goldobin.

Edited by playboi19

57 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

LE hasn’t done F all 

cut him 

his spot should go to someone with grit like Leivo

move sutter to wing if cannot trade have him mentor Gaudette who is clearly nhl ready 

As much as I would have liked to see Eriksson moved, it’s probably not happening.

Theres nothing we can do about his cap hit now, so at least we should have something to show for it.

Eriksson is at least good on the pk, and can chip in offensively here and there. I see him as a better option on the third line than Virtanen or Goldobin based on preseason so far.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

I feel bad for Reid Boucher. He is a good player and for some reason never gets a chance based on stereotype. 

Bro- he’s looked like trash. Never moves and waits to use his above average shot without wanting to do any real dirty work. He’s been invisible from the games I’ve seen so far. 

Edited by Wayne Jetski
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

That's the key. Plus he's currently tied for the team lead in scoring this preseason. If he bags another goal or couple more assists, I think he's earned his spot. We know he can play the PK, what else would he need to show to earn a spot? Trust me, I'm no Loui fan!

Well hopefully other teams have noticed and we find a trade partner..at this point I dont care how good hes played, hes taking a roster spot from a good young player.  Moving him will be addition by subtraction.

Its doubtful though, in the words of another Lou, his contract sucks.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am really torn on some of the scenario's, but I think it turns out this way. (Start of Season)

Ferland     Pettersson      Boeser                               Edler       Myers                             Markstrom

Baertschi      Horvat         Miller                                 Hughes   Tanev                              Demko

Pearson        Sutter         Eriksson                             Benn      Stecher  

Leivo            Beagle        Virtanen                                Fantenberg

Motte          Goldobin

Waived for Utica: Schaller and Biega

Here is the Line Up once Roussel is game ready (Nov. 15th without Injuries)

Ferland     Pettersson      Boeser                               Edler       Myers                             Markstrom

Baertschi      Horvat         Miller                                 Hughes   Tanev                              Demko

Roussel        Sutter         Eriksson                             Benn      Stecher  

Pearson       Beagle        Virtanen                                Fantenberg

Motte          Leivo

Goldobin

Here is the line Up after the TDL

Ferland     Pettersson      Boeser                               Edler         Myers                            Markstrom

Pearson      Horvat          Miller                                  Hughes     Benn                              Demko

Roussel      Gaudette       Eriksson                            Tryamkin    Stecher  

Leivo          Beagle          * Virtanen                                   Brisebois

Motte          Goldobin

Possible Players Moved (Traded)

Tanev...………..Tanev will become expendable if either Tryamkin signs or one of Brisebois/Juolevi play lights out. Benn plays well on the RHD. 

Sutter...………..No doubt Sutter is a stronger player than Gaudette, but short of Eriksson being traded, Benning has to clear cap

Baertschi...……Baertschi needs to win his spot in the next 3 pre-season games. Pearson/Horvat/Miller is a heavy line and designed for the Playoffs

*Virtanen...……"IF" Virtanen does not pick it up, and "IF" Benning feels there is someone to take his spot (Sutter?McEwen?)

Jake is gone while he still has value. Jake is playing himself off the team, as it gets better. His give a $&!# factor is in question! We shall see!

But, who in our system is better than Jake, long term? (3rd line..no one, 4th line...maybe McEwen?)

Fantenberg…...Too much LHD talent to stick long term....great injury filler for someone.....I think Brisebois really surprised

Players NHL Ready

Gaudette...……Gaudette was an offensive star in College and he will be kept down to give him the minutes, but he is showing well. He could be kept as a RW

But, IMO he has shown his whole career he can play Center. Time will tell if that is true. But he is NHL ready, that is for sure! Long term, it would

be nice if he could improve his FO's and defensive play a little, as I see him as our 3rd line center of the future. Gotta be better in the FO circle!

Brisebois...…...Brisebois, just looks so calm. He is a keeper, that is for sure. He is making me forget about getting Juolevi up asap, as quite frankly, he is better

at this time. IMO, Brisebois, shows why the AHL is a great place to develop.

McEwen...…….McEwen, has not made a big statemen, I was hoping for in pre-season, but then again, why would you expect a 4th liner to do that? He is a big

body, with some solid skills, and puts in a strong effort every game. Jake should watch out for this guy

Juolevi...……...Olli needs a break! And a whole season of success. IMO, he needs to stay down the season and be the "everything" player, he has the ability to

be. IMO, Olli has the skills to be up, but not the reps. With Brisebois and Fanenberg already ahead of him, not to mention the possibility of 

Tryamkin's return. What is the rush?

Tryamkin...…...Well? So, as much as I trumpet his return, it is far from being a sure thing. "IF" he comes back, he will make the Canuck defense, ominous, and

certainly playoff ready. Sadly, I wonder how the Canucks will be able to keep him, if he does come back, as I am not sure he is Expansion Draft

safe. But man, you have to admit, Edler, Myers, Benn, and Tryamkin, would scare the hell out of most forwards. 

Prospects to watch this year

DiPietro...…….He is young, but I do not think he will be a NHL goalie (Sorry!) but he has the talent, just not the size. In saying that, players like him have had to 

fight their whole life to prove themselves.....DiPietro has done that. Here is to hoping I am wrong.

Rathbone...…..Well, he played with Fox last year, and showed very well. Let's see what he has when he is the top dog. I have a nagging question with Rathbone

Which is, being that Fox did not sign with his draft club and with the apparent depth at LHD that the Canucks have, will he even sign with us? I am 

hoping for big things with him this year, but I see him as a trading chip if he does. (Call me crazy!) Things change, let's see what happens.

Madden...…….Great motor, smart, with great instincts. He will be interesting to watch. I hope he puts on some weight. He had a great first year, in the NCAA

I hope he keeps on building on it, he could be our 3rd line center, if Gaudette moves to wing.....nice to have choices!

Lind...…………Second year pro, that finished off last season mush better. I think he looked great in our camps and pre-season. If he can continue his development

and get a center to play with, I think he is a player you might see in 2 years. I have more faith in him than most. But I also know, that as long as this

year has more improvement, that he has a chance. There is nothing wrong with a player taking 3/4 years to develop in the AHL.

Woo...…...…….I am hoping he keeps on developing his offense. Last year, he just was not that far behind Montreal's Josh Brooks, who played on the U-20 National

Team. I am hoping to see Jet, keep on developing. I thought he had a great development camp. A lot of hopes are pinned on him.

Podkolzon and Hoglander………...both high end, skilled players...…...there is a lot to be excited about with these 2. Both will create a lot of discussion this year.

Keppen and Focht……….I think Benning picked another couple of gems...….will be fun to see if they develop as they progress...…...consider then Bonus's

What in the world justifies keeping Eriksson?   his pk stats or defensive play?  Is that it?

There are Prospects or players who could develop or offer more than Eriksson if given that spot..

Eriksson to me is becoming a “privileged” player..  He is not worthy of even a 4th line role with less than 10 hits a season.

The games speed and skill has passed this player.. he “trails” the game and is lucky to get seagull opportunities.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

I have a feeling Eriksson makes the team and they waive Goldobin.  Just a gut feeling but considering Loui's contract he will have to stink the joint out in order for Francesco to agree to pay him $6 million to play in the minors.  Believe me Francesco will be involved in that decision.  A team cannot just send a $6 million hockey player down to their farm team without the owner's blessing.  Unless Goldobin actually shows something real soon I'm afraid he's the one that is going to go.  Benning may try to make a deal for him so they don't lose him for nothing.

• Upvote 3

Gaudette is a very good prospect but in this moment in time, he is not as good as Sutter.  

Gaudette should go down to the AHL and be THE GUY... develop ... and perhaps force The Canucks to trade Sutter around January. 

No point of keeping him on the team as the 13th forwards or switching him to wing for a bottom 6 role.  

He needs to develop more.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have a feeling Eriksson makes the team and they waive Goldobin.  Just a gut feeling but considering Loui's contract he will have to stink the joint out in order for Francesco to agree to pay him $6 million to play in the minors.  Believe me Francesco will be involved in that decision.  A team cannot just send a $6 million hockey player down to their farm team without the owner's blessing.  Unless Goldobin actually shows something real soon I'm afraid he's the one that is going to go.  Benning may try to make a deal for him so they don't lose him for nothing.

Aquilini already paid Loui 4 million for this season in advance.  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Aquilini already paid Loui 4 million for this season in advance.  

That is true.  So imagine cutting a cheque to player for $4 million and then 2 months later he is on your 3rd line in Utica?  That's the problem.  I thought it would be an easy call to send him down, but now I'm thinking if he's even playing half decent he will stay with the big club.  Goldobin not doing anything is making the decision a lot easier.

37 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

Gaudette is a very good prospect but in this moment in time, he is not as good as Sutter.  

Gaudette should go down to the AHL and be THE GUY... develop ... and perhaps force The Canucks to trade Sutter around January. 

No point of keeping him on the team as the 13th forwards or switching him to wing for a bottom 6 role.  

He needs to develop more.  

Except he will be right back up when injuries hit. He’s not staying in Utica Guaranteed