The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

47 minutes ago, rychicken said:

or try something different - every time he doesn't move his feet or is slow to get back into the defensive zone, coach Green uses a shotgun and snipes at Jake's feet...

Need a licence in Canada for that.

Jakes defensive numbers have always been better than a lot of players on the team.

I would love to see him moved for Poolparty. He is a great match with McD, McD is almost as fast as him.

Poolparty is a big man and needs 17+ minutes a game, he should also be playing center but JP is a Thorton type player.

You can read it here now if that deal did happen and Jake scored 40+ goals with McD, "anyone would score playing with McD" now scratch out McD out and put in Pettersson and then wonder why that never happened here even by accident..

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Wat 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A 2nd is debatable, but if someone offers you a 1st for Virtanen, you take it and run. 

The fact that there are people who “confused” reacted to this comment shows how much homers are on CDC.

At this point, people have to treat Jake like he’s another player, and not look at him as a sixth overall pick. If Jake was an undrafted free agent and has been playing the way he’s been playing for the past few years, people would think of him much more lowly compared to what people on CDC believe. I’d wager that people would see him as someone who reached his peak already, rather than someone who hasn’t gotten his game together yet. The fact that he’s a high first rounder is why so many on here have trouble letting go of the fact that he perhaps won’t be that good.

Also, there are many, many flaws in OPs logic, one of the biggest being the comparison to the 2014 draft year. If we’re trading for a pick it won’t be a pick in the 2014 draft. It would be a pick in a future draft. A sample size of 30 in 2014 could give you wildly inaccurate results. Another flaw is that Jake is a forward, and they’re supposed to get more points than defensemen. Another flaw is the fact high picks like Jake get much more of an opportunity than other guys. Another one is that OP conveniently only picked goals rather than other stats to make Jake look better.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Need a licence in Canada for that.

Jakes defensive numbers have always been better than a lot of players on the team.

I would love to see him moved for Poolparty. He is a great match with McD, McD is almost as fast as him.

Poolparty is a big man and needs 17+ minutes a game, he should also be playing center but JP is a Thorton type player.

You can read it here now if that deal did happen and Jake scored 40+ goals with McD, "anyone would score playing with McD" now scratch out McD out and put in Pettersson and then wonder why that never happened here even by accident..

Why should JP be playing center?  

18 hours ago, Grape said:

The fact that there are people who “confused” reacted to this comment shows how much homers are on CDC.

At this point, people have to treat Jake like he’s another player, and not look at him as a sixth overall pick. If Jake was an undrafted free agent and has been playing the way he’s been playing for the past few years, people would think of him much more lowly compared to what people on CDC believe. I’d wager that people would see him as someone who reached his peak already, rather than someone who hasn’t gotten his game together yet. The fact that he’s a high first rounder is why so many on here have trouble letting go of the fact that he perhaps won’t be that good.

Also, there are many, many flaws in OPs logic, one of the biggest being the comparison to the 2014 draft year. If we’re trading for a pick it won’t be a pick in the 2014 draft. It would be a pick in a future draft. A sample size of 30 in 2014 could give you wildly inaccurate results. Another flaw is that Jake is a forward, and they’re supposed to get more points than defensemen. Another flaw is the fact high picks like Jake get much more of an opportunity than other guys. Another one is that OP conveniently only picked goals rather than other stats to make Jake look better.

Actually I think it’s the exact opposite.

he has been playing a good/great 3rd line game. One of the best forecheckers on our team, draws penalties better then most, and can through the occasional hit. Basically an quicker version of the honey badger we all loved.

i think that his pedigree of being a 6th overall causes people to call him a bust because he isn’t potting 30 goals a year. Had he been drafted in the 3rd round he would look a lot better.

my 2 cents anyway...

Edited by NorthWestNuck

On 9/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, kingofsurrey said:

No way Canucks trade shotgun Jake.

He has the rare skills set of . size and speed and shot.

No way we trade him. 

Omg your blind faith, rose coloured glasses are so out of tune.  When does logic and common sense become a factor?  You’re sheep. Follow, follow, follow.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Everybody needs to take a deep breath, look in the mirror and digest the reality that Lazy Jake is.   Remember, it was Linden who made him "a sympathy draft pick" in an effort to excite the fan base by bringing in a local kid when the team had absolutely nothing going for it to excite the base.  Secondly,  Jake is a seagull player,  I watched Jake play through the years of minor hockey and he was always known as the kid that floated up around the blue line waiting for the "opportunity" pass to land on stick and blow in for a goal.  That was what he was always known for and still is.  He never was a hard north/south - end-to end player and why we routinely see him floating like a cork around the neutral zone.   So how he ever got ranked so high in the draft is beyond me. 

Lazy Jake should have been a mid 2nd to high 3rd round draft player.  If he would have been ranked there and picked up in the second or third, we'd all be singing kum-ba-ya now, but because of the ridiculous ranking he was given and where he was picked, he now appears to be "a lazy, good for nothing immature, under achieving, out of shape, flaky floater".   So, going forward, I say we give him no more than 4 months and if by January he's still out of shape, dis-engaged or as lazy as he's been over the last 2 years - then we trade him.  A second rounder in a trade would be plenty and a first rounder would be a bonus, but both he and the team need to $h!t or get off the pot.  It's bad enough our team is harboring old anchors with bad habits like Erikson and Edler, but keeping a lazy 22 y.o. under achieving first rounder doesn't cut it - if the team is serious about creating a hard-working culture of success.  

Enough said!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

BTW,  My prediction for the record is that he is used as a disposal tool and traded by no later than January (as a sweetener) WITH one of the other deadbeat players, (Erikson, Suter) to an eastern team. I was cautiously optimistic that he might come in this year and try to give his best effort after floating around most of last season and almost being relegated to the minors but after seeing him almost booted out of camp for being overweight, out of shape and lazy, seems to be the writing on the wall for his last few months in Vancouver.  He obviously doesn't care and neither should the Canucks!   What a sad story!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

BTW,  My prediction for the record is that he is used as a disposal tool and traded by no later than January (as a sweetener) WITH one of the other deadbeat players, (Erikson, Suter) to an eastern team. I was cautiously optimistic that he might come in this year and try to give his best effort after floating around most of last season and almost being relegated to the minors but after seeing him almost booted out of camp for being overweight, out of shape and lazy, seems to be the writing on the wall for his last few months in Vancouver.  He obviously doesn't care and neither should the Canucks!   What a sad story!

It is sad. Truly.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, vannuck59 said:

LOL Jake is a bust trade him while he has some value. He has no mind for the game. 

The kid has maturity issues, that's for sure. and probably entitlement issues as well. 

i don't know if i'd call him a bust just yet. this year is a huge year for him. if he breaks out, we aren't calling him a bust. but if he doesn't make much progress from last year's goal, point, and assist totals, then he's basically solidified himself a bottom six forward for the rest of his career. An NHLer to be sure, but he could've been so much more. 

• Cheers 1

I do not want to give up on Jake

But I do think there is a maturity issue

in the hockey sense

But I do not want to give up on him yet

He is only just 23 (August birthday)

He is young...he gets this year and next for me

But time is running out on him

We have Boeser and Podkolzin

as the 2 RWers going forward

That does not give Jake a lot of options

Luckily, the NHL has changed and there is now 

a demand for 3 offensive lines, so that gives him an in

at either LW or RW on the 3rd line.

(unless he shows some vast IQ and Drive improvements asap)

Now with the emergence of Madden/Hoglander/McEwen/Lind/Lockwood?

This starts to become an issue for Jake

So, all though I would not trade Jake at this moment

"IF" the right trade came around, I would sure consider it

But at this moment, it had better be way more than a second round pick

IF the Canucks do not make the Playoffs this year, I see them taking a 

LWer in the 1st round, as we are short Offensive LWers going forward

This again, shortens the leash on Jake, long term

Time is running out!

On 9/27/2019 at 1:29 PM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Since he was drafted he has been pigeon holed as "the big hitter". Okay BUT he has had three shoulder injuries, one requiring surgery at least. Does anyone know of other Canucks that had shoulder operations that were "big hitters"? How about Antoski and Stojanov? Shouder surgeries finished them.

I think shoulder surgery finished Kenins too.

• Upvote 1