The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

The thing about Jake’s goals is that they were made mostly out of his own efforts, unlike Eriksson say, who has to get the puck banked in off him. You can actually put Jake out on a line with Sutter or Beagle and he will still generate scoring opportunities - I’m not putting Beagle or Sutter down with that, that is what they are asked to do. Jake takes nothing away from their D when he adds oddence to their lines. We should stop taking our expectations from where he was drafted - that is hardly his fault, we should just simply take advantage of what he brings. If we ever get to the playoffs again (like this year) he is exactly the kind of player you need in that third line winger slot - either side - he is equally proficient at both - he is the kind of player that breaks through the checking in the late minutes of tight games.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, Dixon Ward said:

I think it stems from the fact that every Canadian boy dreams of having what he has.  Speed, Skill, Size and was drafted 6th overall.  All of us have been willing to give him some leeway because of his youth.  This is now his 6th training camp and he can't even be bothered to show up in shape.  His effort is inconsistent at best and his offseason training has been inconsistent as well.  I think deep down we are all rooting for him but also don't like the fact that he has everything he needs except the effort.  I, and I believe others, find this hard to accept because if we could be in his spot and all we needed to do was give 100% effort all the time we would.  His honeymoon is over.  He needs to work harder and contribute all the time.

Ding ding ding.   @Dixon Ward

We have a winner. Well said ^

Time to step up Jake. He seems to shine when he's expected to be a leader. Maybe Green needs to make Jake feel valued and needed.

He needs to know his role and have faith he can be a difference maker. Effort is everything. He seems engaged just not sure what to do out there. Which leads to frustration to us as fans.

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

We are all waiting for Jake to grow up.  

We hope he does while wearing the nucks Jersey.  

The longer he takes the more likely we see that happen for another club.  

For Jake it may never happen unless he’s traded and that wakes him up.  Sending him to Utica can’t happen anymore (he’d get picked up),  he’s likely got a job even though AG is outplaying him and he can’t replace LE on the PK, and the fact the vets aren’t going anywhere including Bear.   I wouldn’t have thought he’d be one we’d move on from a week ago - but now with the rumours he’s one of the 4-5 players actively being shopped - and he’s probably one of maybe two anyone would even be interested in....I wouldn’t be surprised at least if it happened.  

Yes he scored two goals one game - but since seems like he’s just going through the motions (must be tired ha ha).

Management is probably not happy with him coming to camp out of shape considering he should at least be able to do simple arithmetic and three “Granlunds” won’t fit in once Rousell is back - and two need to go right away.   Leivo, Goldobin, Motte and LE are the obvious choices but now with AG playing like he’s ready to earn a spot, LE almost certainly getting his because we don’t have anyone to replace him on the PK, Motte producing well and playing like a fourth liner ... it might just be a lot simpler to open up a spot and trade the guy that’s easy to trade - it would also send a message to the rest of the young players, and open up a bit of cap space.   JVs clock is definitely ticking.

• Upvote 1

How has Adam out played Jake in the preseason?  Last night Adam was directly responsible for as many goals as he scored.  Jake has 3 points so far and has been responsible defensively.  Adam has worked hard, but he needs to get stronger to handle the defensive responsibilities of a center in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:16 AM, IBatch said:

What’s a Linden pick?  He played for Medicine Hat - went second overall (and there was a possibility he’d go first - Quin was relieved when he didn’t as he was their pick from the start) leader - a lot bigger frame then JV and he used it way more too (so far at least - three times put guys through the glass got to be a Canucks record)  good old Canadian boy for sure but that’s about where the similarities start and finish.  Also stepped in right away and accomplished a lot his first five years (not that it was what your suggesting just wanted to point it out) - and was the obvious choice to be our next Captain right from the start - that’s definitely something these guys don’t have in common.   

A Linden pick would be closer to Horvat then anything - he was a clutch guy on a loaded London team that had some ( not nearly as much though) leadership ability coming into the draft.   Still even then not the same Linden was going to be drafted near the top at the time where as Horvat and JV were not.

A Linden pick as in, when Linden was President of Hockey Operations JV was the player that he wanted and influenced the decision when they drafted him.  I'm not comparing the players, sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

How has Adam out played Jake in the preseason?  Last night Adam was directly responsible for as many goals as he scored.  Jake has 3 points so far and has been responsible defensively.  Adam has worked hard, but he needs to get stronger to handle the defensive responsibilities of a center in the NHL.

Well, because; ignoring draft position for a moment, could be because Guadette is a better player than Jake?  That's probably how.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

On 9/20/2019 at 6:28 AM, Salacious Crumb said:

He hits hard, fast on the forecheck and will score 20 goals a year. What a bust!

You're forgetting a couple qualifiers there, he can hit hard, he can be fast on the forecheck, and he might score 20 goals a year.  Two of those things he has yet to show on a consistent basis and one he has yet to reach.

Again, don't take that as hate, i've just adjusted my expectations for him and no longer hold him accountable to the expectations that come with being a first round pick.

Just now, snipes2539 said:

You're forgetting a couple qualifiers there, he can hit hard, he can be fast on the forecheck, and he might score 20 goals a year.  Two of those things he has yet to show on a consistent basis and one he has yet to reach.

Again, don't take that as hate, i've just adjusted my expectations for him and no longer hold him accountable to the expectations that come with being a first round pick.

You mean a top 10 first round pick like the Hawk’s Jack Skille?  Jake is right now a solid third line player who is on a fantastic cap hit.  Would you rather we waste our cap dollars on over paid soft perimeter players?  

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, snipes2539 said:

A Linden pick as in, when Linden was President of Hockey Operations JV was the player that he wanted and influenced the decision when they drafted him.  I'm not comparing the players, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks that was confusing but now I get it.   

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

But imagine if Jake busted his a** like Gaudette (or Burrows, like someone mentioned earlier). That's the point some of us are trying to make here.

I'm also of the belief that young men mature at different rates, and I can attest to that speaking from personal experience. Virtanen is no different. He's only 23, which is still very young. What fans are hoping to see is that he puts all his elite tools together, and gives it his best every night. If that ever ends up being the case, Virt will end up being a hell of a player. Let's just hope it's this year, since our goal is to make the playoffs.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You mean a top 10 first round pick like the Hawk’s Jack Skille?  Jake is right now a solid third line player who is on a fantastic cap hit.  Would you rather we waste our cap dollars on over paid soft perimeter players?  

What about Debricant.  Drafted 39th overall, coming off a 40 plus goal season and getting paid less then 800k.  Now that’s a good cap hit.  Compared to that whats Jakes 15 goals cost us?   We could have kept Richardson and done just fine for a third liner ... expect 15 goals and hope for 20 or more.   Our team was terrible offensively last year compared to most teams in the league I don’t recall so much support for a less then 20 goal scorer ever.  Yeah I hope he will breaks out - but yet another summer has passed and yet again he hasn’t shown up in pro shape.   Pearson or LE can take his spot and he can get traded and I wouldn’t shed a tear. 

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lol so you're going to nit pick one other player to compare him against?  I think Jake would even be pissed if you were to compare him to someone like Skille because I doubt he'd want to be compared to that.

Jake is fighting to be a third line player, he is NOT a solid 3rd line player yet, there's still hope that he can become more, there's fear that he'll never even achieve that, but he is still very much trying to sort things out and will he overcome the challenges put in front of him.  Who knows, I'm hoping he can, but I no longer expect him to.  What part of my stance are you not getting?  All the way back from my original post, I said it's not hate, it's time to adjust expectations of Jake, if he can be a solid 3rd line player great, but he's not there yet.

Edited by snipes2539
  • Upvote 1

Just now, snipes2539 said:

Lol so you're going to nit pick one other player to compare him against?  I think Jake would even be pissed if you were to compare him to someone like Skille because I doubt he'd want to be compared to that.

Jake is fighting to be a third line player, he is NOT a solid 3rd line player yet, there's still hope that he can become more, there's fear that he'll never even achieve that, but he is still very much trying to sort things out and will he overcome the challenges put in front of him?  Who knows, I'm hoping he can, but I no longer expect him to.  What part of my stance are you not getting?  All the way back from my original post, I said it's not hate, it's time to adjust expectations of Jake, if he can be a solid 3rd line player great, but he's not there yet.

I’m saying that during the rebuilding phase the Hawks drafted Skille at 8 and Barker at 3.  They got Toews, Kane, and Keith around then too.  That core three led the to three Cups.  It’s okay to miss during a rebuild, and the team, when the rebuild is done, can still be great.  Jake is okay as a third line player.  If he is only that, I believe we still have a great team, and will win three 

Cups this coming decade.  

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

But imagine if Jake busted his a** like Gaudette (or Burrows, like someone mentioned earlier). That's the point some of us are trying to make here.

I'm also of the belief that young men mature at different rates, and I can attest to that speaking from personal experience. Virtanen is no different. He's only 23, which is still very young. What fans are hoping to see is that he puts all his elite tools together, and gives it his best every night. If that ever ends up being the case, Virt will end up being a hell of a player. Let's just hope it's this year, since our goal is to make the playoffs.

That's exactly the point, there's a certain maturity here that Jake hasn't displayed yet, and his off-season training and conditioning is part of that, also the drive to fight for and keep a spot on a daily basis is another.

The problem with Jake is that he looks complacent more often than he does tenacious, and he needs to fix that, if he wasn't scoring goals, but was forechecking like a fiend and finishing every one of his checks (legally) and every shift that'd be amazing.  If he could play like Torres or Dorsette or Rouselle, i'd be so happy with that.  Play like that and he'll have everyone in Vancouver on his side.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m saying that during the rebuilding phase the Hawks drafted Skille at 8 and Barker at 3.  They got Toews, Kane, and Keith around then too.  That core three led the to three Cups.  It’s okay to miss during a rebuild, and the team, when the rebuild is done, can still be great.  Jake is okay as a third line player.  If he is only that, I believe we still have a great team, and will win three 

Cups this coming decade.  

Ok, you and I are saying the same thing.  If Jake can become a solid 3rd line player, i'll be satisfied with that totally agree.  I and also believe that the team will be fine; great even, if he fills that role, because then that makes someone like Rouselle expendable.  I love that you believe we'll win 3 cups in this decade, how about we just start with 1 and then go from there hahaha:towel::towel::towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, snipes2539 said:

Ok, you and I are saying the same thing.  If Jake can become a solid 3rd line player, i'll be satisfied with that totally agree.  I and also believe that the team will be fine; great even, if he fills that role, because then that makes someone like Rouselle expendable.  I love that you believe we'll win 3 cups in this decade, how about we just start with 1 and then go from there hahaha:towel::towel::towel:

This year? Man I’m getting a little impatient after this long.  I was sure we’d win the next year after 94 and again after 2011...now I’m just hoping we make the playoffs...because anything can happen these days if you do 

Edited by IBatch

On 9/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, kingofsurrey said:

No way Canucks trade shotgun Jake.

He has the rare skills set of . size and speed and shot.

No way we trade him. 

The only issue is he doesn't know when to use any of them lol. Has a great set of skills, doesn't have the IQ to use them effectively.