The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

It should be secretive.  Because this prevents other team’s players targeting the injured player where they were previously injured in order to take them out of the game.

Don’t you think the players know though?  

4 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree that ownership and management has been bad in Canada, especially when you look at Edmonton and Ottawa, but other teams have made mistake too.

I think often Canadian owners want to be more "hands on".

I believe there are two rule books but it is not strickly separated by the Canada/USA border. If so I think Toronto is south and Columbus is north, ( see Torts' latest rant).

One needs to look no further than the Mason Raymond and Nathan Horton injuries to see the effect of the 2 rule books.

But I do not believe that the Candian fans hold much blame. I had nothing to do with making BobLu Captain, nor did I offer him that contract. I did not want Loui signed to that contract either. I was not on board with the "retool on the fly" concept or the "bringing in of NHL ready prospects".

I think Canuck fans did play a small role in the rushing of Virtanen and McCann but that was after many years of management's poor drafting and developement, and in reality  it was a rookie mistake from an inexperienced management group. It has been since the current ownership group took over that all Canuck management and most of the coaches have been rookies also.

It was interesting that Toronto looked to be headed in the right direction before Lou Lamorillo left, now they are struggling with rookie management, and the Islanders are moving in the right direction. I do not believe the fans forced Lou out. Likewise Edmonton now, (finally) appears to have stable management and coaching. I am pretty sure Edmonton fans will not be firing Holland and Tippett, but ownership might.   

If you look back to the fans wanting AV fired but management holding steady (2009) or even last week when Green was all but gone, (in many fans mind), you see that the fans have less say than the management does. It is only when management feels the heat from above that they react to the heat from below.

Do you really think the Canadian fans are worse than the NYR or Bruin fans?

canadian fans are more fanatic

they are more invested

they can more easily speak with their wallets

even you admit the pressure that can be put on

in respect of coaches, cdc wanted green gone mostly

i'm sure management noticed

but they resisted

best read of nuck fans

is to read these boards

and this board is tame compared to other ones

so yeah.. canadian hockey fans have to be more of a pain for management

but when the team does well

the rewards are huge

around 2011, the ticket sales revenue was massive

and coupled with other revenue streams

put the franchise value over 800 million

it has slipped since then and not yet recovered that same valuation

so yeah, fans have a big influence up here

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why are the Canucks so secretive about some of the players’ injuries?  Is this for insurance reasons?  

I’m guessing it’s a situation where he may be able to play but they don’t want to rush him especially when they don’t have a spot for him.

They could also be working on a trade and are simply trying to avoid media prodding every day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’m guessing it’s a situation where he may be able to play but they don’t want to rush him especially when they don’t have a spot for him.

They could also be working on a trade and are simply trying to avoid media prodding every day.

A trade would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

canadian fans are more fanatic

they are more invested

they can more easily speak with their wallets

even you admit the pressure that can be put on

in respect of coaches, cdc wanted green gone mostly

i'm sure management noticed

but they resisted

best read of nuck fans

is to read these boards

and this board is tame compared to other ones

so yeah.. canadian hockey fans have to be more of a pain for management

but when the team does well

the rewards are huge

around 2011, the ticket sales revenue was massive

and coupled with other revenue streams

put the franchise value over 800 million

it has slipped since then and not yet recovered that same valuation

so yeah, fans have a big influence up here

name one move that pat Quinn, Burkie, Lou Lam, or Slats ever made because of fan pressure.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

name one move that pat Quinn, Burkie, Lou Lam, or Slats ever made because of fan pressure.

they have not managed all the canadian teams without interruption for the past 40 years

so i do not understand what your point is?

so there were good gms that managed canadian teams for collectively 25 or so years over the past 200+ available years?

not sure how that addresses my point

21 hours ago, lmm said:

I beleive Burke moved Bertuzzi because of a lot of hate towards TB for that incident in Vancouver. 
I get that a change of scenery for TB was probably needed..  but personally I would have rather seen him stay.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I beleive Burke moved Bertuzzi because of a lot of hate towards TB for that incident in Vancouver. 
I get that a change of scenery for TB was probably needed..  but personally I would have rather seen him stay.

Do you think that not having TB for the playoffs cost us a BIG chance at winning the cup that year? We lost to the team that lost to TB (ironic?). I feel deep down that we would have won our first Cup if Bert was on the playoff roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Do you think that not having TB for the playoffs cost us a BIG chance at winning the cup that year? We lost to the team that lost to TB (ironic?). I feel deep down that we would have won our first Cup if Bert was on the playoff roster.

Yes SC, that was a powerful Canucks Team, built for every type of game from the rear up.

I do think the Bert incident set us back in so many ways.

Basically we had a young Hank and Danny after that year,. And Naslund was not himself.

Perhaps I should rephrase,.  I do beleive that Moore, and Tony Granato had more influence in creating the moment that set us back.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Everything you say is true, except Burkie did not trade Todd Bertuzzi, Dave Nonis did.

That and it was the best trade ever by a Canuck GM as it brought BobbyLu, and it was 2 years and 3 months after the infamous Bertuzzi/Moore incident, so it brought to a close the worst era ever in Canuck history.

So it does not qualify on any level.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, the grinder said:

quinn fired rick ley  there is one 

Rick Ley was a sub .500 coach who was never a Head coach in the NHL again.

Pat tried unsuccessfully to step away from coaching the Canucks several times, he was always a better coach than his successor.

Pat wanted to step n and take the team on a run, but that did not work out

I do not see fan involvement in the Rick Ley firing either

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Everything you say is true, except Burkie did not trade Todd Bertuzzi, Dave Nonis did.

That and it was the best trade ever by a Canuck GM as it brought BobbyLu, and it was 2 years and 3 months after the infamous Bertuzzi/Moore incident, so it brought to a close the worst era ever in Canuck history.

So it does not qualify on any level.

Thanks lmm,  let’s not forget that Lou has brought us back Markstrom,. apart from that cap penalty, turning out rather nicely..

Oh, and Schneider for a pick that turned out to be Bo I think? 

Sorry, I’m railroading here lol !

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Pat tried unsuccessfully to step away from coaching the Canucks several times, he was always a better coach than his successor.

so fans chanting at game  fire rick ley fire rick ley isnt fan involvement  ,  

12 hours ago, lmm said:

Have a soft spot for Rick Ley. WE had my son's bantam team in Van for Provincial Championships. Two of our coaches went to a lounge during the tourny (not cool today I guess) and got to meet Ley and had a great convo with him. He said bring the team down to practice and you will be let in. We did and were let in to GM Place. The down side was that the boys had to sit on the opposite side of the arena from the players bench and had to keep quiet! Basically they were ignored other than by Tim Hunter, Esa Tikanen and the goal tender who's name escapes me. 

All the same Ley was good on his word and the boys were blown away.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, the grinder said:

so fans chanting at game  fire rick ley fire rick ley isnt fan involvement  ,  

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-correlation-causation-coincidence-and-more

I do not believe we are arguing "fan invovlement"

The statement by Coastal View as I understand it was, "Fans cause rushed and failed rebuilds because they are impatient"

My view is "strong GMs are not affected by fan whims"

I told my girlfriend that the Canucks were winning because I was ironing my shirts while watching

I stopped ironing, they stopped winning, I went back to ironing, they kept losing...

edit, my girlfriend is happy because..."she has standards"

So if fans chant "go Canucks go" and the team wins one game but not the next, are the fans involved?

Edited by lmm

2 hours ago, lmm said:

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-correlation-causation-coincidence-and-more

I do not believe we are arguing "fan invovlement"

The statement by Coastal View as I understand it was, "Fans cause rushed and failed rebuilds because they are impatient"

My view is "strong GMs are not affected by fan whims"

I told my girlfriend that the Canucks were winning because I was ironing my shirts while watching

I stopped ironing, they stopped winning, I went back to ironing, they kept losing...

edit, my girlfriend is happy because..."she has standards"

So if fans chant "go Canucks go" and the team wins one game but not the next, are the fans involved?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:51 PM, lmm said:

I just named one move that pat quinn did under fan pressure   , fans chanting fire rick ley  at  games  , fans voices were heard by management  and a change was made  , same thing with gillis fans were calling for his head  and he got fired  ,so  fans do have influence .. ,If the team is bad , people stop going to games , stop buying merchandise ,  buy fewer season tickets  ,  yep some rebuilds are failed and rushed , you know why   money    no playoff revenue , those are  pure profit for owners  ,because you don't really pay players  in the playoffs ,  no playoffs less profit  .   Why do you think aqua man wanted to try and make a push for the playoffs before declaring a rebuild  

so with fans chanting ,,you don't think players, coaches and management don't   hear that .?   you bet players  hear that  , don't you remember rousell rant about hab fans and how much that pisses him off   or doughty  team like that  , I don't know how you can say fans aren't involved  ,  

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

I just named one move that pat quinn did under fan pressure   , fans chanting fire rick ley  at  games  , fans voices were heard by management  and a change was made  , same thing with gillis fans were calling for his head  and he got fired  ,so  fans do have influence .. ,If the team is bad , people stop going to games , stop buying merchandise ,  buy fewer season tickets  ,  yep some rebuilds are failed and rushed , you know why   money    no playoff revenue , those are  pure profit for owners  ,because you don't really pay players  in the playoffs ,  no playoffs less profit  .   Why do you think aqua man wanted to try and make a push for the playoffs before declaring a rebuild  

so with fans chanting ,,you don't think players, coaches and management don't   hear that .?   you bet players  hear that  , don't you remember rousell rant about hab fans and how much that pisses him off   or doughty  team like that  , I don't know how you can say fans aren't involved  ,  

Christ, learn how to use a space bar.