The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

5 hours ago, rekker said:

That sucks. Motte is the straw that stirs the drink a lot of nights. Kids a gamer. 

Definitely. One of my favorites.

24.8% ozone starts is 27th on the team = the lowest.

2.1 on ice goals against 5 on 5 is 20th on the team - a stat where you want to be near the 'bottom' - (only forward giving up less is Sutter at 1.7).

79 hits is 2nd on the team - 3 hits behind Miller - MIller has played 51 games to Motte's 24.

11 takeaways +6 turnover differntial

Motte may 'only' be on a pace to score 10 goals / per 82 games, and 17 pts - very close to in line with what he did last year - but imo that kind of production, in the context in which he plays (dramatically tilted ice), while giving up as little as he does - is outstanding.  That kind of '4th' line (imo they are the '3rd' line but it doesn't matter/semantics) - is critical imo - it's an area where a team can gain clear separation from an opponent. 

If the stats mean nothing to people, the eye-test should confirm it regardless - that line is very difficult to play against, and not just in their zone, when they have the opportunity to forecheck, or end opposition possession up ice, they are outstanding at preventing zone exits, creating neutral zone turnovers, and hemming their opponents in their own end of the ice - whether that translates into 'possession' numbers or not.

That Beagle Motte connection is vital to the team - they are so much better with those two rolling - I really hope the injuries to them are not serious - they are very difficult to replace even when a team has solid depth.  Thankfully they'll still have a (knock on wood) healthy Sutter to lean on.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Definitely. One of my favorites.

24.8% ozone starts is 27th on the team = the lowest.

2.1 on ice goals against 5 on 5 is 20th on the team - a stat where you want to be near the 'bottom' - (only forward giving up less is Sutter at 1.7).

79 hits is 2nd on the team - 3 hits behind Miller - MIller has played 51 games to Motte's 24.

11 takeaways +6 turnover differntial

Motte may 'only' be on a pace to score 10 goals / per 82 games, and 17 pts - very close to in line with what he did last year - but imo that kind of production, in the context in which he plays (dramatically tilted ice), while giving up as little as he does - is outstanding.  That kind of '4th' line (imo they are the '3rd' line but it doesn't matter/semantics) - is critical imo - it's an area where a team can gain clear separation from an opponent. 

If the stats mean nothing to people, the eye-test should confirm it regardless - that line is very difficult to play against, and not just in their zone, when they have the opportunity to forecheck, or end opposition possession up ice, they are outstanding at preventing zone exits, creating neutral zone turnovers, and hemming their opponents in their own end of the ice - whether that translates into 'possession' numbers or not.

That Beagle Motte connection is vital to the team - they are so much better with those two rolling - I really hope the injuries to them are not serious - they are very difficult to replace even when a team has solid depth.  Thankfully they'll still have a (knock on wood) healthy Sutter to lean on.

Imagine a gamer like Motte on the fourth line in 2011 over a slug like Oreskovich. Canucks depth is looking better and better all the time. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Imagine a gamer like Motte on the fourth line on 2011 over a slug like Oreskovich. Canucks depth is looking better and better all the time. 

I didn't mind Oreskovich - and in fairness to him, he was playing because of who wasn't.

Malhotra and Samuelsson iirc were both injured in the playoffs.

That lineup was unreal - when healthy imo

For me the top 12 were

Sedin

Sedin

Kesler

Burrows

Samuelsson

Higgins

Hansen

Raymond

Malhotra

Lapierre

Torres

Glass

Hodgson, Tambellini, Bolduc, Oreskovich - etc, were injury depth, 'callups'

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I didn't mind Oreskovich - and in fairness to him, he was playing because of who wasn't.

Malhotra and Samuelsson iirc were both injured in the playoffs.

That lineup was unreal - when healthy imo

For me the top 12 were

Sedin

Sedin

Kesler

Burrows

Samuelsson

Higgins

Hansen

Raymond

Malhotra

Lapierre

Torres

Glass

Hodgson, Tambellini, Bolduc, Oreskovich - etc, were injury depth, 'callups'

Yes Oreskovich was played because of a depleted lineup. But I cannot respect a player that does nothing when an enormous opportunity is handed to him. Big body, great skater that could of made a difference but chose not to. In fairness he soon fell out of hockey so maybe he was one of those guys that just didn't "love" the game. 

Kind of a sneaky/dirty play on Motte by Karlsson. Wouldn't surprise me if he's out a month two. I heard Ferland will go to Utica on a conditioning stint, i think it was Rick Dhaliwal that tweeted that. Makes sense, he's missed a lot of games. The Canucks have the luxury of great depth in Utica, they'll be fine. Too bad about Motte, he was playing really well but on the other hand, guys like Bailey and MacEwen have earned a call-up. 

On 1/30/2020 at 7:21 AM, DeNiro said:

Have to disagree.

None of our guys consistently play with the speed and intensity that Motte brings. It’s not a coincidence that our team started rolling with him back. He sets the tone with his tenacious forechecking and gives our fourth line an identity.

He will definitely be missed. I’m thinking we see a Bailey call up now. It’s seems like this would be a good time to see what we’ve got with him.

Respect your opinion I just personally don’t see schaller as much worse of a player and if ferland is healthy I’d rather see him in the lineup, and then guys like mackewen and bailey never know what you might pull out of an ahl  call up trying to make an impression. I didn’t mean anything negative towards motte i  love the guy and love the energy he brings just feel like the replacement there is probably one of the easiest replacements on the whole forward corpse 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

I wonder what the injury was to Ferland, they never really did say.

Vertigo maybe? Didn't Cory Crawford have some kind of bout of that in Chicago last year or the season before. He has had a couple concussion or head shots I do believe??

On 1/30/2020 at 2:28 PM, rekker said:

Yes Oreskovich was played because of a depleted lineup. But I cannot respect a player that does nothing when an enormous opportunity is handed to him. Big body, great skater that could of made a difference but chose not to. In fairness he soon fell out of hockey so maybe he was one of those guys that just didn't "love" the game. 

LOL

bro he played NHL games, thats more than 99% of this board will do in their entire life

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is this a health issue, or a personal issue?  New baby at home and such.

I hope it's just management being overly careful with him and making absolute sure there are no lingering symptoms before getting him in a game, even in utica. Baby steps.