The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He goes on the same rant every year about how nobody buys poppies and this year he decided to point out how immigrants aren't buying poppies. If you watched HNIC you know how hypocritical his rambling was. You can tell he is annoyed at two things one nobody is buying poppies and two immigrants. He should have been cut off by Maclean but I think Maclean knew if he did Don would have gone on an even more racist rant. So he just tried to sweep it under the rug.

Why can't he put the same pressure on immigrants? Are they untouchable, sacred entities?

Edited by Tystick
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

They don't own the media or dominate entire news cycles, or have representatives who push their ideals into law, either.

Far left insanity has become a real problem, and it is 1,000,000x more prevalent than anything from the right.

PC authoritarianism has become ubiquitous with culture.

This x 1000 - its very obvious to a thinking human unless you believe everything that the TV tells you. Effing fascists dressed up like our friends. I don't get how they hate on boomers also. The majority of boomers are life long blind liberals (like my parents lol).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I would think on a topic this divisive that this is how he feels. Not sure why anyone would try and stir the pot on this. This is showing a lot of peoples true colours.

My true colors are that I hate Don Cherry, but for him to lose his job over something so inane, based on professional outrage aficionados, makes my red blood boil.

If you don't like what he has to say, don't watch it, and let the free market run him off the air.

This all happened in the Soviet Union. All of it. The term political correctness is a direct literal translation.

And the gullible and the youth have swallowed cultural Marxism hook, line, and sinker.

Edited by xereau
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Provide an example.

Sorry, but they've proven to be hypocrites, over and over.

That's why I'm no longer liberal.

Trump building a wall, when Regan went to Berlin and challenged Gorbechev to tear the wall down.

Religous folks praising Trump, when he's had numerous affairs, and shady business deals. 

Eisenhower warning of the Military Industrial Complex, something now engrained in the US. 

Conservatives being progressive, now regressive. 

Conservatives closing Veterans affairs offices.

Conservatives wanting to buy the F-35 without at least seeing if there was other options?

Conservatives killing the Avro Arrow. 

All politicians are hypocrites. That's why they are politicians. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Divisive remarks because they're somewhat true. But it extends beyond minorities which is an even bigger shame.

Exactly.  It’s us the city dwellers Don is pointing out.  He mentioned small town people as being grateful, and wearing poppies.  Then he mentions us - the city people.  We live on “milk and honey” provided to us because of what the soldiers sacrificed.  Why must so many believe they have divine powers to determine what others are thinking?  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He goes on the same rant every year about how nobody buys poppies and this year he decided to point out how immigrants aren't buying poppies. If you watched HNIC you know how hypocritical his rambling was. You can tell he is annoyed at two things one nobody is buying poppies and two immigrants. He should have been cut off by Maclean but I think Maclean knew if he did Don would have gone on an even more racist rant. So he just tried to sweep it under the rug.

I've posted this link before:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6123962/quebec-legion-poppy-campaign/

And these are members of the Legion.  Unfortunately, for too many people, things like WWI/WWII are too distant a memory.  

Don, a non-veteran, took to pulpit and made the issue (paying your respects to the vets) essentially about himself with his rant.  That is the tragedy.  The irony of him getting discharged on November 11.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

This x 1000 - its very obvious to a thinking human unless you believe everything that the TV tells you. Effing fascists dressed up like our friends. I don't get how they hate on boomers also. The majority of boomers are life long blind liberals (like my parents lol).

Classic Liberalism is the best Liberalism

Just now, rEpLaY said:

People are coming at don for saying this. But voted a PM that wore blackface many times. What Backwards country we live in

Don isn't wrong. Many people in this country don't buy a poppy, don't wear one, don't give a $&!#. This extends beyond "you people." There's a war on truth and reality in this country, in western liberalism, especially when it's an inconvenient truth. Don Cherry is simply another casualty. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Wow thanks Alf for informing me about that, I get it now.  :sadno:

Your point about women in men's dressing rooms? No men in women's... Reverse discrimination your point.

Does have merit.  But? Men abuse women, and circumstance, far more often without getting into any words that sensationalize the difference. I do believe it is the correct thing that men should not be in a women's dressing room as a result. It is actually a different argument.   

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  It’s us the city dwellers Don is pointing out.  He mentioned small town people as being grateful, and wearing poppies.  Then he mentions us - the city people.  We live on “milk and honey” provided to us because of what the soldiers sacrificed.  Why must so many believe they have divine powers to determine what others are thinking?  

It's weird how you've decided Don meant city dwellers when he didn't say that at all, but no one else is allowed to infer what he meant by "you people come here".

Maybe none of us know what he meant then. 

It is a shame that cancel culture and SJWs are the reason he was forced out... undercuts the fact that he should have been out a long time ago for very different reasons. 

• Cheers 1

Well, it was going to happen sooner or later. I suppose people will be insulated from hearing his opinions now. I would give most immigrants a bit more credit; I figure they are not that weak that they would be broken down by the ramblings of an old man. At least Don ain't hurting for money and can probably enjoy a nice relaxed retirement. I doubt they would have let him off the hook if he had apologized. Folks would be waiting in the weeds for him to slip up again. I can't escape the feeling that this had more to do with getting rid of someone that is disliked than the controversy of his statements. I respect Don a lot more for standing by his words, not backing down and apologizing. Saying immigrants should show respect for a nation's veterans on a day of remembrance should not be a controversial opinion. I guess it was the tone though, and perhaps he should have done a study first, and got concrete information on the relation between citizenship and poppy-wearing, avoiding the anecdotes. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“Now you go to the small cities, and you know, the rows and rows ... you people love ... they come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price.”

Alf, look at the context. Cherry is either talking about immigrants or he's so far gone mentally that he inadvertently strung together a xenophobic rant. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He was singling out city people.  All of us who live comfortably in our condos.  It’s not about race; it’s about where we live.  He even mentioned the good people, who are grateful, that live in smaller towns.  He didn’t say “white” people.  He said Canadians.  Too many SJWs and the hypocritical types, who live in the big cities, believe they have some divine power to interpret what others are thinking.  

And out come the local SJWs with their grumpyfaced emojis.  Sure, you can divine what Don Cherry was thinking, but your divine powers don’t extend to what’s written?  

Someone prove what Don Cherry said was intended as racist.  Don’t use your divine powers, but use actual proof.  Non of you can, because Don Cherry didn’t say anything racist.  He was talking to all of us who live a “milk and honey” existence in the big cities.  

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Trump building a wall, when Regan went to Berlin and challenged Gorbechev to tear the wall down.

Religous folks praising Trump, when he's had numerous affairs, and shady business deals. 

Eisenhower warning of the Military Industrial Complex, something now engrained in the US. 

Conservatives being progressive, now regressive. 

Conservatives closing Veterans affairs offices.

Conservatives wanting to buy the F-35 without at least seeing if there was other options?

Conservatives killing the Avro Arrow. 

All politicians are hypocrites. That's why they are politicians. 

I meant in the social sense, and the right isn't making up rules.

For context, I've been on both sides and have become a centrist.

• Upvote 1