The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I don’t think we played that bad. I was at the game and thought we generated quite a few quality chances. Difference in the game was the goalies and there snipers being better than ours. If the other teams star players are scoring and ours are not it’s pretty much impossible to win.. Overall good effort, on to the next one!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Got too caught up in the run and gun style with the Leafs.  That isn't our style.  We need to be tight defensively in order to play an aggressive style of game, and felt we strayed away from that trying to match the Leafs' skill and speed which isn't our strength.

I thought we didn't get nearly enough traffic in front of the net and nor did we use our strength of grit and physicality to pressure the Leafs.  15 hits and 3 of them coming from Ferland in the 4 mins he played in the first period showed that the team sat back on the forecheck and didn't really use their physicality to make the opposition uncomfortable.

I'd argue they dominated that run and gun style and were beat by Andersen, not by the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I see the usual blame the coach when we lose and no credit to the coach when we win is still in full effect. Kudos for the consistency CDC.

Three breakaways and the goal scored was a banged in garbage goal = too much perimeter play. I guess our systems told Boeser and Horvat to shoot the puck rather than deke on a breakaway. We played a fine game, had our chances and ran into a hot goalie. Our goaltending didn't give us the key saves on bad coverage when we needed them and theirs did. Not faulting this loss on Marky, but it's just the way it goes sometimes.

What I saw was that Marky had to make a lot more tough saves than Andersen did, and it's because Andersen almost always had negligible traffic in front of him. Quite a bit of the Canucks' goals so far this season have been off tips or banks off other people or rebounds. Very little of those opportunities last night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did the Leafs defense keep the Canucks, who are the larger team, to the perimeter?

I wasn't referring specifically to last night when I said that. It was more about having that third option when teams do and our perimeter game isn't working. I wish we went more to the net in the second and adapted our game.

When we did score, though, the Leafs D was playing a wider zone, which gave us the opportunity slip in and crowd the net. 

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Did they really dominate it? Best case for me, it was even, and even that is very arguable.  You're basing this "dominated" assessment on what - number of shots? 

Well, that is a pretty common metric used to measure the balance of a game, yes.  They also had three breakaways, a cpl crossbars and extended periods of sustained attack.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

Well, that is a pretty common metric used to measure the balance of a game, yes.  They also had three breakaways, a cpl crossbars and extended periods of sustained attack.

I was looking at quality shots. For sustained attack, I don't necessarily look for puck possession time; I again try to look for quality shots. The breakaways are breaks in the game often caused by stupid play on the other side rather than dominance by one team so I don't really give as much credence to those as others. But hey, I took a break a few times during the game so maybe I just missed those.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So did the Canucks get beat by a hotter goalie or better shooters?

17 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

What I saw was that Marky had to make a lot more tough saves than Andersen did, and it's because Andersen almost always had negligible traffic in front of him. Quite a bit of the Canucks' goals so far this season have been off tips or banks off other people or rebounds. Very little of those opportunities last night.

That could also be attributed to poor defensive coverage allowing them more open chances rather than us not getting to the dirty areas enough. For example what is Hughes doing covering the same guy that Myers is covering on the right side leaving a wide open nobody player like John Tavares.

Andersen stopped 3 breakaways, one against our captain and two against one of our more prolific scorers. I get traffic makes it harder, but those aren't easy saves to make.

8 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I was looking at quality shots. For sustained attack, I don't necessarily look for puck possession time; I again try to look for quality shots. The breakaways are breaks in the game often caused by stupid play on the other side rather than dominance by one team so I don't really give as much credence to those as others. But hey, I took a break a few times during the game so maybe I just missed those.

I say potatoe, you say potawto.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

When our goalie plays better than the opponent's goalie we will win.  Last night Anderson was better than Marky, and (as a result) we lost.  That's hockey, and why the goalie is very much a key piece to a winning team, especially in the cap era, when teams are so even.  

Andersen had an easier task.

We needed these hands... 

:bigblush:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green talks about playing hard and physical, but when the team is being held to the perimeter, that doesn't ring so true.

You don’t expect the leafs to go into the corners do you ? They might get hit there. They stay in the middle where it’s safe .

::D

• Haha 1

To those that continue to harp on creativity vs systems. If the team is so buried in their systems, then their empty net goal wouldn't have happened (at least not in the way that it did. Miller could've played the puck up or passed to a guy around the boards, but chose to try and chip it over the forechecker to get around. He chose to be creative there and it didn't work. That's not to say we shouldn't be creative, but it goes to show that the players are given the freedom to be creative and make decisions on plays rather than solely sticking to the systems. The systems are in place, but are not 100% adhered to. Sometimes the players simply have an off night or face a tough opponent. There are no easy games and that's why we play them. The expectation to go full out forecheck and crash and bang every night for 82 games is unsustainable and surely will lead to injury. Leave that for the playoffs.

Toronto is a good regular season team because not every team is playing them like playoff hockey every night. We have seen how they fared in the playoffs and Andersen cannot save them every night.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I wasn't referring specifically to last night when I said that. It was more about having that third option when teams do and our perimeter game isn't working. I wish we went more to the net in the second and adapted our game.

Ok. I was referring specifically to last night's game, and why the team didn't do more to force it's way in front of Andersen. I fail to see why Green didn't make that happen. It would have been far more effective.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

When we did score, though, the Leafs D was playing a wider zone, which gave us the opportunity slip in and crowd the net. 

And should have, again, given Green pause to consider changing up the methodology.