The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators fire Peter Laviolette, name John Hynes as new head coach

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I know one guy who is happy...

47022156801_d23f59561a_b.jpg

Was thinking the same thing. Should receive, at the very least, a short window where his ice time will get bumped to boost his trade value.

But, are NHL GMs really that stupid to take on a guy who would only receive a bump in points over a small sample size? Wait, didn’t Dubas just hand out a $2M x 3 salary to Justin Holl? 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Looks like we may miss out out on DeBoer 

maybe the Preds will pick up Babs instead but my guess is they didn’t want to miss out on DeBoer 

great hire if they snap him up 

Babs would be the correct choice.  Too bad Babs will get snapped up before we can get him. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Babs would be the correct choice.  Too bad Babs will get snapped up before we can get him. 

What about this post is confusing?  Or are those confused faces understanding my post and just using the confused face as a minus? You minus posters can shave Alf’s fur, and polish his behind, and kiss his ... You understand.  :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Rene is like 40 years old, they need a goalie.

Marky for first, fabbro?

Lol.

Talking about selling high.  As much as I like Marky, I'd probably pull the trigger on that deal.  And pray Demko can handle the rest of the season.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about this post is confusing?  Or are those confused faces understanding my post and just using the confused face as a minus? You minus posters can shave Alf’s fur, and polish his behind, and kiss his ... You understand.  :lol:

I think the confused face gets used as a minus a lot. Which is...confusing. I don’t understand what’s so bad about having a minus button. Shouldn’t we be able to not like each other’s post with a little clarity. Just goes to show how all this political correctness is actually making everybody more...confused. 

PS I also didn’t like your post. Hard no on Babs as I’ve repeated again and again ;-)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I think the confused face gets used as a minus a lot. Which is...confusing. I don’t understand what’s so bad about having a minus button. Shouldn’t we be able to not like each other’s post with a little clarity. Just goes to show how all this political correctness is actually making everybody more...confused. 

PS I also didn’t like your post. Hard no on Babs as I’ve repeated again and again ;-)

I don’t think the minus is necessary. Don’t like someone’s post? Fine, just ignore it. Or politely explain why you disagree with their post. Minus just feels childish and cowardly. As does the confused reaction, but gotta be passive aggressive somehow if not through the minus. 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hope Kevin McCarthy lands on his feet.  He doesn't get talked about much, but he's one of the best D-men we ever had.

Hockey gods really have it in for us.  True, we still would've lost against that team stacked with hall of famers but losing your best D (not to mention team Captain) before the start of the post-season in 1982, is like going into battle with one arm tied behind your back.  It was a fluke injury as well that took him out (I *think* it was an accidental collusion with another teammate in practice).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I could see the Green haters come out in force when they catch wind of this :ph34r: If they were willing to accept that crack pot Babcock they'll take Lavatory Laviolette.

Hah. My over under for the first suggestion that Green be replaced by Laviolette was 3 pages in. Don’t stir the pot! The 15%ers will start pounding their keyboards soon enough. :P

55 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

It's our society's fault, everybody gets a medal! Don't want to make anyone feel bad about themselves...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Laviolette took over from a truly great coach, 

Trots.  He was doomed from the start.  Plus, trading away Jones for RJ and signing Duchene was just stupid.  Duchene is a cancer.  He’s a loser everywhere.  

They were stuck in no man's land under Trotz.  They never really did much in the playoffs and had also missed the post-season two years in a row.   When he didn't renew Trotz, Poile said he still thought he was a good coach but that it was time to try a more aggressive style.  He was explaining that to play an offensive system you need an offensive coach.

Poile talked of wanting them to play more of a possession game.  It entails more risks - have the puck more turn the puck over more.   In NYI Trotz is favouring dump & chase over taking risks - if there is no safe way to carry the puck in they dump it in.  In Nashville they want to find a way to carry the puck in and use dump & chase as the last alternative.  

Poile adjusted the roster accordingly.  He moved out the dump&chase grinders and added skilled players who can hold on to the puck and make plays.  He always says that his role as GM is to build a roster that fits how his coach wants to play, and jokes that it helps that he only had 5 coaches his whole career.  

Edited by mll

-

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Replace Baumer with McCarthy :ph34r:

McCarthy has been alongside Laviolette ever since Carolina - to Philadelphia and then to Nashville.   

McCarthy was responsible for their league worse PP last season.  The PP was so bad that they had to make a coaching switch and moved him to the PK towards the end of last season.   Their PK is 3rd worse in the league this season vs top-6 last season.  Part might also be goaltending. 

I don't think McCarthy coached the Ds.  Phil Housley was the one coaching the Ds and help set their system.  When he left he got replaced by Dan Muse.  It's Housley that the Canucks should have pursued.  There was a recent article up with comments by Arizona Ds like OEL talking of the impact Housley is having on their game this season.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1