The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 07, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

so Green demotes Boeser to the 3rd line , when all the players including Jake had a bad game?  I am not liking Boeser on the 2nd PP.  come on , why Boeser, at least he got a point and helped Petey score last night. Miller did nothing along with the rest of the crew.

4th or 5th goal against was a weak defensive play by Boeser.  I don't mind the message, we need BB6 back not a poor man's Phil Kessel.  BB needs to work on that shot we saw the last two seasons.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I honestly believe Brock's shot is gone because he's changed the speed/type of release. He used to do primarily snap shots and catch the goalie on their heels, but now he's consistently doing these wrist shots with long drags and his shot has become easy to telegraph. You know when he's shooting 90% of the time as where before it'd be on his stick and off it in a hurry. 

That's why I'm happy Brock signed kinda show me contract or if he signed for 7x7 cause most top six wingers make around that type of money. 

I think Brock will be moved before his next deal, cause his not worth more then 7 in my books. 

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

As much as I would love to put all the blame ...

its not all their fault, Jim brought in abunch of pests and not a enforcer like reeves or Anderson...

I know the other guys were free but that's what this team is missing and it's going to cost to fix the problem

Still, those pests Benning signed should have the wherewithal and guts to take on the Lightning. I mean, this isn't the 2011 Bruins here.

A player like Johnson shouldn't be able to get away with anything.

The team needs a pack mentality.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

When was the last time you’ve seen Boeser score on one of those wicked one-timers of his on the PP? Petey gets setup most of the times and Boeser’s shot is wasted. He needs an equal opportunity to let it rip, hence a spot on PP2 may help. It’s not a demotion, just an opportunity to get his goal-scoring going.

I think part of the reason why this is the case is because have a left handed defenseman on the PP. Hughes has a much better angle (being a left hand shot) to dish the puck to Pettersson, especially in the umbrella formation that the Canucks like to use. Otherwise Hughes would have to turn his body towards Boeser (making it easier for the defending team to see that he will pass it to Boeser) or Hughes has to dish the puck on the backhand (not ideal).

Having a right shot D man (like Myers or Stecher) would making easier to setup Boes for a one timer especially if they use the umbrella formation. I think we'll see more one timers from Brock on PP2 with Myers manning the point. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Woah! Your going to get some attention from the herd for that comment lol

pretty much most posters know I'm not a Brock fan....

heck I bring up trading him at almost every chance I get but I've seen the hustle from Brock for acouple games. 

I don't think it's his hockey IQ cause he knows where to go but I've said this before that he lacks foot speed , his rookie season he played on a team with the Sedins so we didn't notice his foot speed compared to those two and even Bo( his skating has come a long way but I think petey is faster and that's one of the reasons we are seeing holes in Brock's game)

I do agree a lot posters have rose coloured glasses when it comes to Brock but also Brock is the first top six winger we have had in a long time , I think the last forward we drafted that made a impact like Brock was bure, that just shows how starved Canucks fan have been....

Also I don't know if he still has that shot due to the surgeries his had......

but I can live with Brock on his deal right now it's the next one worries me....

I agree. You see flashes of him working hard and skating, but it's never consistent, which leads me to believe he CAN but is just a lazy player/doesn't want to commit to it.

Bridging him was definitely the right move. If this is the player he is, we should look to move him while he still has perceived value. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure anyone else noticed before the game. Markstrom was stretching out before puck drop, and he looked like he was in some discomfort. I'm not sure it would've mattered if Demko started, because he was bad as well. I also noticed when the puck did drop, the Canucks came out super slow, calculated, almost waiting for Tampa to pick up the pace, so they could keep pace with them. Maybe saving their energy for later in the game? (like that helped) Why didn't they come out guns a blazing and take it to the Lightning? Did they give Cooper's team a little too much respect here?

Marky did some great saves and did what he use to do. So I'm not sure there were some discomfort. The goal one on one he had to stay mobile. If he had dropped the pads it's easy to go round him. So itvs more about the other player. Petey did a similar goal and they didn't change goalie... 

8 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

I agree. You see flashes of him working hard and skating, but it's never consistent, which leads me to believe he CAN but is just a lazy player/doesn't want to commit to it.

Bridging him was definitely the right move. If this is the player he is, we should look to move him while he still has perceived value. 

you see that in a lot of our players

46 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's one of the reasons a coaching vet would help green out a lot but I got roasted for that idea.......

Yep, some kind of fresh ideas are going to be needed to take this team to the next level.

There was this cycle last night, most everyone here that watched the game will remember it by my description.

The Lightning passed it around the perimeter for like a minute against the 3rd line. They got a few chances, and got the puck back several times. It was kind of harsh to watch, because you could see our guys playing the system, not chasing the puck, just going in circles defending the middle of the ice. And Tampa was toying with it. Anyways, Jake was on the far wall, and after like I said, a minute, he broke formation, and he crushed a guy. And the Canucks got the puck back in about 0.4s after the hit. My point, is that the Canucks could have taken the man any of 10 times in that entire possession sequence, but they didn't and they just played the 5 man star to get in the way of passes and shots. Its freaking lame to watch as a fan of the game, I am sorry to say. Its not hockey, its a blanket of analytics that creates an artificial gap between the game on the ice and the numbers they want to force out on their screens.

The coaches and the analytics team behind the scenes have completely bitten onto this idea of playing the collapse because of the numbers, over the whole season.

It's sustainable, over the course of a season, and it might even get the team into the playoffs.

But what happens when they meet a TBL in the playoffs? Win 4 games by playing 45mins in your own end every game and getting out shot 2:1?

This system will be absolutely dismantled by any team with perimeter speed and passing, as we saw last night, should they make it to the playoffs.

The kind of analytics I want to see, is slow motion replays of guys as Jake thunders down on them and steals not only their pucks, but their hockey karma.

Its a long season to always play hard, but this collapse system is ridiculously lame.

Watch for when good stick handlers break into the Canuck's zone. In the time that they set up formation to defend, the other team's are setting up these insanely OP tick tack toe passing plays, because getting into the star formation comes at the cost of basically handing the other team a temporary but forward moving odd man play. Over and over it's happening, and it's good thing Marky had that .940 stretch.  Now that more shots are going in, game's are getting out of hand, and the system that allows all those shots gets badly exposed.

Take the man once in a while, mix it up!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

you see that in a lot of our players

True. But Boeser should be held at a different and higher standard than most of our players. He is part of that core group of 4. We want him to be great and not take nights off like he does a lot of the time. EP, Hughes, Horvat all work hard and are give an honest effort every shift. Boeser appears to be happy doing the bare minimum and collecting a few apples and the odd goal here and there.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if Benning will try to pluck another Top 6 forward from TB, seeing as they'll have some cap issues next season. I believe they have to re-sign a few expensive guys. Watching Sergachev made me a bit jealous. The guiy's a beast and doesn't back down from anyone. He got in Horvat's face in front of the net after the whistle, and cross-checked Bo hard, Bo retaliated and then skated away to hide behind the ref lol

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

True. But Boeser should be held at a different and higher standard than most of our players. He is part of that core group of 4. We want him to be great and not take nights off like he does a lot of the time. EP, Hughes, Horvat all work hard and are give an honest effort every shift. Boeser appears to be happy doing the bare minimum and collecting a few apples and the odd goal here and there.

Horvat has just started to get going this year, he was not very good before the last say 5 games,  Pettersson has taken nights off , sorry all I see is a hard working Boeser who has 40 points, last night like many nights it has been Boeser who makes the great passes to Petey so he can score.   I have never seen Boeser lazy !!! 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Don't think so. The PGT was thankfully not inundated with that and had a s-load of gifs instead.

I would of done this but with Bo instead of Brock. 2RH shots on #1 will give teams trouble. Put Brock in slot/bumper position for one timer from Miller and Peter and Gaud left of Hughes. 

Time to park this one and get the Florida GDT going. Sounds crazy but i think that loss will galvanize the canucks. TB might be the only team in the league that could spank them like that. They were almost 20 points ahead of the 2nd place team for the prez trophy last year. That's a very good team. The panthers will be the perfect remedy. The Canucks can take out some frustration on Matheson, who will just turtle anyway. Horvat challenged him to settle the situation last year and he declined. They should play him hard but clean along the boards all game long.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Boeser has a good engine, shown he can be very determined, is on a pace for what, around 70 points. I have noticed his play has dropped off a bit, two things, one his family situation with his Dad is likely a factor, two, he's not really in the playbook on the pp, everything is between EP and QH, they really need to get BB more into the design. I would consider moving him to the other point and then go three ways between BB - QH - EP and tell him to feel free to shoot and/or consider moving him to the second pp.

Edited by aliboy

10 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Time to park this one and get the Florida GDT going. Sounds crazy but i think that loss will galvanize the canucks. TB might be the only team in the league that could spank them like that. They were almost 20 points ahead of the 2nd place team for the prez trophy last year. That's a very good team. The panthers will be the perfect remedy. The Canucks can take out some frustration on Matheson, who will just turtle anyway. Horvat challenged him to settle the situation last year and he declined. They should play him hard but clean along the boards all game long.  

Somehow I don't see the Canucks going after Matheson. They seem, much like with most aspects of their play, woefully inconsistent when in comes to being a physical team that stands up for each other. The team needs it's more physically imposing players (Myers, Edler, Benn, Roussel, Virtanen) to play with an edge and not back down should a Panther take exception. Horvat needs to start showing more gumption in scrums as well.