The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Jan. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Lol you don’t know what it is to steal a game anymore.  Anytime our goalie slightly outplays the other side apparently it’s a stolen two points regardless of how good our team played in front of him?  We dominated the game and our defence was incredible limiting the Wild to 16 shots until 10 minutes left in the third.  Markstrom played well, but you’re really just discrediting how good our team played as a whole especially defensively.

Lol, some posters can't give Green or the defence any credit.  The Wild had inspired effort to get back in the game late and Marky shut the door as the team gutted out a road win on a back to back in the afternoon with 4 games in the last 6 days.  

It is a team game and Marky isn't scoring any goals.  Sure chances are traded that shouldn't be, but it's great to watch and it seems to suit Markstrom.  Some guys like to see a ton if rubber, Luongo wanted to play all the time.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad we picked up the two points, but Minnesota was so disorganized in the first two periods.

Markstrom was so good in the third, what a difficult game for a goalie to concentrate through, he was awesome at the end there. 

It's going to be such a scrap for playoff spots this year. 

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, skategal said:

Well, we hugged it out (virtually LOL) but I missed out on apologizing to you.  I was a little hot when I furiously typed my reply to your post and I'm sorry that I did that in anger.  I should have (as I've been told more than once) backed away from the keyboard before hitting enter.  So, I apologize for my comments to you and I'll do better in the future. 

Hey no worries ha 

also your comments were fine ha 

actually I respect the fact unlike some you didn't resort to name calling. You took the high road. 

I'm impress you kept it together , I've lost my cool on here acouple times. 

Also posters have said a lot worst to me on here ha( kinda happens when your opinion isn't like everyone else's , I expect back lash ha)

So you got nothing to improve on, it was my poor word choice that set that whole course into acting ha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Marky came up big at key points in the game, especially on the PK and late, after Minny pulled their goalie. Being objective, however, he did not have much work early and the Minny goal was not a great play by Marky as he did not control the rebound very well. But, still, a very good game by Marky overall..

2. The Canucks were the better team and for long stretches did not allow Minny much, especially in the 1st period when the Wild had only 3 shots. And for the first half of third the Wild did not get much as the Canucks did what they needed to do with lead on the road in the third period, at least for most of it. The Canucks held Minny to under 25 shots (actually 24) despite quite a few PPs and the late push. Once again, the Canucks were careful with the puck, allowing only one giveaway and generally making the high percentage play. 

3. Horvat had another very good game. The Wild do not really have a dominant line, as Staal and Parise play mostly on different lines, and neither of their top two lines is more than a good second line by scoring metrics. Still, the Horvat line logged the most time against Stall and Parise in aggregate, although the time distribution was more even than it usually is. The Horvat line had the toughest minutes and, despite that, had the best Corsi numbers again, as well as scoring a key goal (and the EN goal). Sorry for repeating this so often, but Horvat, Pearson and Eriksson are doing a great job. 

4. EP and Miller continue to be excellent. EP is so dangerous and makes so many good plays. He had one nice goal today and also had a post and could have been given an assist on another goal. Boeser was also good, although he was partially at fault on the Minny goal for kind of a lazy backcheck. 

5. As for the negatives, obviously the Canuck PP leaves a lot to be desired. It is kind of bipolar. It can be very good for streches and then look sleepy for stretches. Fortunately we did not need more from the PP today and got the win. But in a lot of games if you fail to cash in on so many PP chances it will bite you in the rear end. 

6. A lot of people are saying Hughes had an excellent game. He got a nice assist on the EP goal and made a lot of other good plays. And it is great that he is going to the all-star game. He is a great young player. But he did not have his best game as he struggled a bit in his own end and had a negative Corsi (although he had fairly tough quality of competition). 

7. Sitting out the Florida game may have helped Fantenberg. He has been very solid since coming back in and was solid today. It looks he has earned a spot in the top 6. 

8. Overall, this was an excellent performance under the circumstances -- early game on the second day of back to backs on a tough road trip. The road trip is looking pretty good right now and one more win would make it an excellent road trip. And the schedule is not bad from here. The Canucks once again have the best record in the Division by winning percentage. But the standings are tight and the next two games (Winnipeg and Arizona) are big. 

excellent post as always, enjoyed, thanks

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow.... I just imagined the complaining if we had 3 LOUI'S :frantic:

Cap-wise that’s 3 and a half Louis.

I remember when Minny got Parise and Suter as UFA’s... thinking, wow, they just bought themselves a few years of contention.  I’m sure some of the penny pinchers were tsk-tsking right away and fair enough... but just as bad it seems like they were never really in serious contention despite those tough down the stretch deals. 

• Upvote 1

How many other teams can say they have 4 players on pace for 70+ points? And Tanner Pearson isnt far off pace for 70 points either. We have some serious scoring depth up and down the line up.

We are still looking for another top 6 forward... can you imagine snagging a legit top 6 player at the deadline??!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Another outstanding 3rd period by Marky... although it likely wouldn't matter...

Cause the way Minnesota is playing they were not coming back... they should blow it up at the deadline.

Trade some their older vets like Zuccarello or Zucker and get some draft picks... they are not going anywhere.

Very poorly played game by the Wild... took way too many penalties.... mostly stupid and selfish and two of them killed their own PP.

Canucks didn't play particularly well... PP needs work, but overall looked good next to the Wild.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks didn't play particularly well... PP needs work, but overall looked good next to the Wild.

Your last line is very true. Good enough to beat a poor team, they even dominated at times. But even the lowly wild pinned the five man collapse down, hard, more than a few times, especially in the 3rd there. Buttclenching isn't a system, and I really hope they learn some new tricks before they slink into the playoffs and get walked 4 straight by a team that simply passes it around the outside till they score.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Lol, some posters can't give Green or the defence any credit.  The Wild had inspired effort to get back in the game late and Marky shut the door as the team gutted out a road win on a back to back in the afternoon with 4 games in the last 6 days.  

It is a team game and Marky isn't scoring any goals.  Sure chances are traded that shouldn't be, but it's great to watch and it seems to suit Markstrom.  Some guys like to see a ton if rubber, Luongo wanted to play all the time.  

Totally.

A 4-1 win shouldn’t be classified as stolen by the goalie just because he made some nice saves, especially since we outshot them.  Marky has definitely “stolen” a few points this year but we’re also providing some serious run support.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

excellent post as always, enjoyed, thanks

Awesome summary !  In my opinion,Markie does not need to be perfect - as long as, he makes the right stop at the right time, is all that matters.  At the very least, that will make Markie a winning goalie in the regular season but a playoff performer - we will see ?   This is one of the reason why, I am not really interested how they win in the regular season cause the playoffs will sort out alot of things related to our team: if Green should stay, should JV & Markie be sign to big $ with term and so on.    GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Chalk this one up to another stolen 2 points for Marky. Stopped 8 Grade A chances in the last ten minutes of the game. 

I'll wait around again to argue with the people who still think this is considered average goaltending that most teams in the league get this on a consistent basis. 

Are people saying that? Marky has been the clear MVP of the Canucks season so far in my eyes. He has stolen so many games so far this year. The scoring has been great this year so far. It's really nice to see so many players on pace for career years and the team scoring in bunches. But without Marky stopping a handful for grade A chances, those were lost games.

Going to be very interesting to see how the Markstrom situation unfolds in the coming months.

• Cheers 1