The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“I thought we played a really good hockey game. One might say it was our best of the trip really... we gotta regroup and come back home and play a really good game again.“ - Green

I actually don't disagree with Greener tonight.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, LateNightBus said:

Why do Winnipeg always have our number? why can't the Canucks beat them?

I think the Jets have been a better team the last few years. The weirder one is the Devils, we've lost 11 straight games to them and they've been a bad team for most of those games (I guess we haven't been great either). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

On occasion.  Not consistently enough IMHO.  The hard part is watching and knowing it's there and then it goes away for periods of time.

Honestly i think that's more coaching then Jake cause jake loves to hit and even said so himself and seeing him not back down from reeves kinda showed me a player that is a pest and how much he has grown this season......now the coach on the other hand.....he doesn't give the guys freedom to make hits...

And when guy like rooster isn't hitting or stirring the pot what is he doing? Green should be encouraging this, if he wants to run a style like torts then grow a set.....

Coach green knew it was going to be a long and grindy one and he still plays marky. Astounding 

at how winning a few games in a row hides the fact that he is a terrible coach. Awful. He has presented

me with zero evidence his coaching style is changing this team for good or bad. Were going up

against this team we barely win against and he has no strategy other than just keep rolling what

he has been rolling. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Coach green knew it was going to be a long and grindy one and he still plays marky. Astounding 

at how winning a few games in a row hides the fact that he is a terrible coach. Awful. He has presented

me with zero evidence his coaching style is changing this team for good or bad. Were going up

against this team we barely win against and he has no strategy other than just keep rolling what

he has been rolling

To fair so would I ha

it must be some good stuff to mellow out the whole team.....:bigblush:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shirotashi said:

he has been rolling. 

Well I think we should all take solace in the fact that Willie D isn’t behind the bench cause that was mostly changing the team for the bad.

Thus team isn’t playing to it’s strength, skill and speed. 

instead the strategy has been to grind it out. Yes it’ll get you some wins but then you go through stretches where the team looks apathetic. 

10 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Well I think we should all take solace in the fact that Willie D isn’t behind the bench cause that was mostly changing the team for the bad.

Thus team isn’t playing to it’s strength, skill and speed. 

instead the strategy has been to grind it out. Yes it’ll get you some wins but then you go through stretches where the team looks apathetic. 

I don't know about that, their both making similar mistakes at the NHL level.....

edit* this team was bound to get better with the talent Jim has brought in each season.

Edited by RowdyCanuck

17 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Agreed, the whole team is soft, including the captain.  I wonder if it is the players, or the coach.  I tend to think it is the coach, a hard tough coach would not allow his players to be soft in tough situations....

They tried Torts... it didn't work out.

Team toughness goes beyond just the coaches and players, it's the organization as a whole.  Players need to feel that everyone has their back.  Up from management, to the coaching staff, to the players, etc. 

While the 2011 squad was considered soft, the pre-2011 teams weren't so.  Burrows, Kesler, O'Brien, Hordichuk, Rypien, and Glass were always more than willing to drop the glove or face wash the opposition.... with others like Bernier, Bieksa, Alberts not afraid of mucking it up if need be.  

The current Canucks team.... who is willing to fight if a teammate gets a cheap shot?  Who is more than willing to crash the net to make a point?  JT Miller and probably Anton Roussel.  Motte and Stecher are battlers and will step in when needed... but they're not players that will tip the scale.  JV is a friendly giant most of the time, along with Edler and Myers.  Schaller and Beagle knows what to do... but they are role players.  Ferland is injured and one bad hit from La La Land.  

Unlikely battlers need to step it up when needed.... if Boeser wants players to "protect him", he need to be more than willing to jump into a pile.  Same with Pettersson and especially with Horvat.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

They tried Torts... it didn't work out.

Team toughness goes beyond just the coaches and players, it's the organization as a whole.  Players need to feel that everyone has their back.  Up from management, to the coaching staff, to the players, etc. 

While the 2011 squad was considered soft, the pre-2011 teams weren't so.  Burrows, Kesler, O'Brien, Hordichuk, Rypien, and Glass were always more than willing to drop the glove or face wash the opposition.... with others like Bernier, Bieksa, Alberts not afraid of mucking it up if need be.  

The current Canucks team.... who is willing to fight if a teammate gets a cheap shot?  Who is more than willing to crash the net to make a point?  JT Miller and probably Anton Roussel.  Motte and Stecher are battlers and will step in when needed... but they're not players that will tip the scale.  JV is a friendly giant most of the time, along with Edler and Myers.  Schaller and Beagle knows what to do... but they are role players.  Ferland is injured and one bad hit from La La Land.  

Unlikely battlers need to step it up when needed.... if Boeser wants players to "protect him", he need to be more than willing to jump into a pile.  Same with Pettersson and especially with Horvat.  

Torts and the Sedins were never going to work....

Torts with this team and that would be a different story cause he would have star players that play both ways and Petey has showed push back already.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Can we just leave him on ltir and forget him , which would be easy cause I can barely remember what he looks like in a Canucks jersey......:bigblush:

I agree, getting tired of him taking an extended holiday with pay.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I don't know about that, their both making similar mistakes at the NHL level.....

edit* this team was bound to get better with the talent Jim has brought in each season.

Fair point. But I think we could agree that neither are great coaches. Could willie who was making the same mistakes that green is with a better team, do any better if he was our coach? Logic says no.

regardless of their age, they’re both rookie coaches.. 2years of NHL experience doesn’t mean jack shi; 

even worse green surrounded himself with more rookies, Nolan Baumgartner. 

im all for stability in the franchise but when management  chooses to ignore an obvious weakness in our team structure (ie coaching) the expectations should be lowered by a lot. 

a team like that ( I mean it in a positive sense) should not be so hot and cold. Complete antithesis of itself. Sure growing pains but these extreme swings either way can’t simply be explained away. 

• Upvote 1

Well I don't know why I came here tonight?

I got the feelin that something ain't right!

I'm so scared, in case I fall off my chair?

And I'm wondering how I get down the stairs...

Clowns to the left of me?

Jokers to the right!

Canucks!

Here I am stuck in the middle with you!

Watched 2 mins..down 2-0

F*** this! Went cycling in the mtns.

Just returned, turn on pc, saw score & Markstrom's quote, "If I save these 3 shots, we go to a SO."

Does he need to say this? It appears the Hellish-Buck simply outplayed him tonite. The 2nd goal was pretty ghastly anywho. Haven't seen anything else, but not gonna bother.

He's been dynamite for a yr, so he's earned some mulligans. If we get the next two W's before break, we're lookin good.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Watched 2 mins..down 2-0

F*** this! Went cycling in the mtns.

Just returned, turn on pc, saw score & Markstrom's quote, "If I save these 3 shots, we go to a SO."

Does he need to say this? It appears the Hellish-Buck simply outplayed him tonite. The 2nd goal was pretty ghastly anywho. Haven't seen anything else, but not gonna bother.

He's been dynamite for a yr, so he's earned some mulligans. If we get the next two W's before break, we're lookin good.

The posts saved his ass, and this team apparently doesn’t like shooting if the net is empty.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Fair point. But I think we could agree that neither are great coaches. Could willie who was making the same mistakes that green is with a better team, do any better if he was our coach? Logic says no.

regardless of their age, they’re both rookie coaches.. 2years of NHL experience doesn’t mean jack shi; 

even worse green surrounded himself with more rookies, Nolan Baumgartner. 

im all for stability in the franchise but when management  chooses to ignore an obvious weakness in our team structure (ie coaching) the expectations should be lowered by a lot. 

a team like that ( I mean it in a positive sense) should not be so hot and cold. Complete antithesis of itself. Sure growing pains but these extreme swings either way can’t simply be explained away. 

See the reason I say it wouldn't matter if it was green or Willie is cause their both loyal to grinders and don't really use match ups/just want to roll four lines.

I can see the guys dragging this team to the playoffs just like the team did with willie. 

I've also posted before in pasted threads that i think hiring a former HC to join Green's staff would go a long way but didn't get that welcoming of a response...

i liked green and thought he had the lockeroom but I'm starting to question why he can't fire up his warriors or pest types on a nightly bases.....