The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Hell for Canucks!!! (GREAT NEWS from Daly re: CAP for next year!!)

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Did you take into account the bonus overages? I'm not sure Baertschi's cap simply disappears, we may have to retain or buy him out or pay an asset to move him.

I'm not that worried about the cap either, but can't ignore those things.

No, I didn't take the bonuses into account, but I also think there's wiggle room on Marky, Motte, Gaudette, and Stecher.  We may end up just saying goodbye to Stecher if we're too tight against the cap, but the majority of the roster will remain intact.

Marky @ 5M

Motte @ 1.25M

Gaudette @ 2.25M

Stecher @ 2M

All of a sudden, we saved an extra $1.5M right there.

6 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Stetcher will be gone cap issue or not....

I sure hope not, he brings so much for a 5th or 6th defenceman.  RHD, good puck mover, plays at 110% every shift, can move into the Top 4 for periods of time if need be.  He's perfect for the role.

• Cheers 3

Next year will be very rough cap wise. Likely lose Tanev or Stetcher, Petey and Hughes bonuses from this year carry over (max bonuses), and will be hard to move Baertchi's contract and not retain. Lots of dead money. Hopefully Eriksson is moved or retires!

2022-2023 Canucks will be free from all dead cap weight and can hopefully make a great cup run. (last year of Bo's and Miller's contracts)

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, no matter what the media tries to portray, there really isn't major cap hell for the Canucks.  GMJB reiterated that as well. 

Here's what I see for the coming year.  Running the numbers, we'd have $1M+ in cap space left.  If the cap doesn't go up, will likely mean goodbye to Stecher.

Honestly, it's the year after (2021-22) that looks more dicey.  With EP40 and QH both getting huge raises, something will have to give. 

- Schaller, Leivo, Graovac won't be re-signed.

- Benn, and Baertschi moved.

- Upper Limit of Cap going up by $1M.

- Markstrom @ 5.5M

- Tanev @ 5M

- Virtanen @ 3.5M

- Gaudette @ 2.5M ("show me" contract)

- Motte @ 1.5M

- Stecher @ 2.5M

- Rookie Defenceman (Rafferty) @ ELC

image.png.8015f679ca72fc420049f61928dcb266.png 

ok darn

so the sky is not falling

so i cannot make those references to your post/thread

alrighty then

you can hardly imagine my disappointment

:frantic:

and you seem to understand salary cap matters

that is a bit rare on here these days

not that many on here do not understand them

the one's that do not seem to be doing the posting though

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

They will be having cap problems, just watch.  That Myers contract :picard:, better hope Seattle takes him.  Here comes more confused emojis! 

Your post ain’t confusing.  I understand completely, but totally disagree.  The Myers contract is fair.  LE will retire after his July 2020 bonus.  He’s already made a gentleman’s agreement with JB to do that.  LE is saving face now that he’s contributing.  He will retire in July, and go out with a better reputation 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

ok darn

so the sky is not falling

so i cannot make those references to your post/thread

alrighty then

you can hardly imagine my disappointment

:frantic:

and you seem to understand salary cap matters

that is a bit rare on here these days

not that many on here do not understand them

the one's that do not seem to be doing the posting though

Add in 3.7 million in performance bonuses and dont remove Baertchi's and its not all roses as that pciture paints. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, no matter what the media tries to portray, there really isn't major cap hell for the Canucks.  GMJB reiterated that as well. 

Here's what I see for the coming year.  Running the numbers, we'd have $1M+ in cap space left.  If the cap doesn't go up, will likely mean goodbye to Stecher.

Honestly, it's the year after (2021-22) that looks more dicey.  With EP40 and QH both getting huge raises, something will have to give. 

- Schaller, Leivo, Graovac won't be re-signed.

- Benn, and Baertschi moved.

- Upper Limit of Cap going up by $1M.

- Markstrom @ 5.5M

- Tanev @ 5M

- Virtanen @ 3.5M

- Gaudette @ 2.5M ("show me" contract)

- Motte @ 1.5M

- Stecher @ 2.5M

- Rookie Defenceman (Rafferty) @ ELC

image.png.8015f679ca72fc420049f61928dcb266.png 

IMO doubt we're moving Benn, almost certainly moving Stecher but I think you're a bit high on Tanev (if he even comes back) and Gaudette as well.

Given Tanev's injury history, age etc I think he'd have to agree to closer to $4m if he wants to stay.

Gaudette likely sees a similar bridge to what Virtanen is currently on (say $1.5m with inflation/slightly better performance) 

Plus we'll likely have Tryamkin coming back. And I think Marky might land a few hundred K higher, especially if we want to keep the term down to 4-5 years.

Either way, I'm not worried, JB and Co have this. We'll likely need to retain on Sutter/Baer but both become far more movable with only one year left and 50% retention (potentially saving +/- $3.5m of cap right there). 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO doubt we're moving Benn, almost certainly moving Stecher but I think you're a bit high on Tanev (if he even comes back) and Gaudette as well.

Given Tanev's injury history, age etc I think he'd have to agree to closer to $4m if he wants to stay.

Gaudette likely sees a similar bridge to what Virtanen is currently on (say $1.5m with inflation/slightly better performance) 

Plus we'll likely have Tryamkin coming back. And I think Marky might land a few hundred K higher, especially if we want to keep the term down to 4-5 years.

Either way, I'm not worried, JB and Co have this. We'll likely need to retain on Sutter/Baer but both become far more movable with only one year left and 50% retention (potentially saving +/- $3.5m of cap right there). 

I could see Tanev walking in FA he likely gets 5.5 on a 3 or 4 year deal on the open market. His brother got 3.5 x 6 years and is much $&!#tier.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel