The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Not really, my gripe is with Green giving Beagle 18 mins, more than Horvat and Petey.

I think that's because he got his line hemmed in their own zone for a couple of minutes. I think the extra minutes were by accident. ::D

Beagle has not been playing well lately. He has not been able to maintain possession in the O Zone and keeps getting hemmed in. This has been the case for awhile now. Bo's and Petey's lines do a way better job keeping the play in the O zone and they rarely get hemmed in our own zone.

I agree with Duodenum, Bo and Petey's lines should be playing the majority of the minutes near the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think that's because he got his line hemmed in their own zone for a couple of minutes. I think the extra minutes were by accident. ::D

Beagle has not been playing well lately. He has not been able to maintain possession in the O Zone and keeps getting hemmed in. This has been the case for awhile now. Bo's and Petey's lines do a way better job keeping the play in the O zone and they rarely get hemmed in our own zone.

I agree with Duodenum, Bo and Petey's lines should be playing the majority of the minutes near the end of the game.

Gotta be careful with that. We are already seeing Huggybear probably being overused too much. You don't want to burn out Bo and Petey either. Maybe give Sutter more minutes, because he's sure effective when healthy. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gotta be careful with that. We are already seeing Huggybear probably being overused too much. You don't want to burn out Bo and Petey either. Maybe give Sutter more minutes, because he's sure effective when healthy. 

Hearing on TSN 1040 the Canucks could trade Bess for Dumbo.  That would help out Huggy Bear, wouldn’t it?  

I think the Wild would have to add though, and so does the NHL executive the TSN guys are quoting.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Indeed.

Beagle's consistently been a 13-15 minute hustle guy for his career. When he's in that sweet spot, he's really effective.

Outside of it, he's... not. He struggled even in Washington when he was given a heavier load. He really is a 4th line guy, and as he gets a bit older that time should probably come down a bit into that 11-13 range when he can still cook it.

I don't have an issue with him being out there to close out a game instead of the scorers - that's what that bottom line is supposed to be good at. I just think he needs to have some left in the tank when that time comes up - last night when they got hemmed in twice in 3 shifts, that was basically 5 minutes of full NHL ice time - over a third of his typical game - in those two shifts. And it happened a lot when he was carrying Schaller around on that line like a PK.

31 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You have like 13 posts on here with nothing good to say and with no substance to back your claims. Troll

I'm a master debater, what can i say. i also know that putting boeser on the second line is a mistake, that second line is a beastof a shutdown line. BB is nowhere close to being a shutdown player. If boeser cant figure it out on the third line,that's too bad.BB will be a third liner until jake starts declining or BB starts playing well,  

oh and ps why would i need evidence to support my opinion,i don't care about you fool.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland certainly might be able to help. Jake gave that 3rd line a good motor - maybe even trying Motte on the 3rd line would help? Rotating Roussel for Sutter or Motte wouldn't hurt to try, particularly on the road. 

The upshot of the stats I posted are they show how much Jake has matured as a player. He's been great on the 3rd line, not just eye test either, and he's not out of place at all on the top line. Just have to sort out the 3rd line now and not take away a great weapon in Boeser while you do it. 

Boeser was getting points, but wasn't all that effective on peteys line, imo.  They play too much on the perimeter........Jake adds much more than just points.

It's great that LE is playing well, as I knew he could if given the mins.  However, I think, at some point Boes has to slide into that spot 

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 2

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I agree. If this team has a weakness it's the 4th line above anything else.

Yeah, every team have their limitations and weakness....it may not be a bad thing, but it is a limitation.

13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I'm a master debater, what can i say. i also know that putting boeser on the second line is a mistake, that second line is a beastof a shutdown line. BB is nowhere close to being a shutdown player. If boeser cant figure it out on the third line,that's too bad.BB will be a third liner until jake starts declining or BB starts playing well,  

oh and ps why would i need evidence to support my opinion,i don't care about you fool.

Finally some substance. Well done!

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You realize they were not playing Detroit do you?

Yes, but this was clearly the worst they’ve played the Blues out of their 3 matchups this season.  It does suck that St Louis does play that annoying hair losing sort of hockey.  Like all the turnovers in the defensive zone tonight are inexcusable.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Brock is getting some Jake treatment from Green.  In absolute fairness, he is our most one dimensional offensive player.   He wasn't groomed in the minors, he went straight to the NHL 1st line from College. 

Agreed.  Other than EP (for obvious reasons), Brock is the only Canuck prospect that went straight to the top 6, without the usual 'process' on the bottom 6.   He was also utilized as the sniper throughout his college years.  

The Canucks value players that are the complete package more that anything.  Brock is a character guy that wants to perform at his best. He knows what he needs to do.  After all, he is just 22yrs old and is still in his developing years.

I do think he should skate with Bo and Pearson.  Or even drop Pearson down with Gaudette for a spell.  Until we lose Eriksson, getting more of a setup guy would be hard.  I do think if he was with Bo and Loui, they would be looking to use his shoot while easily being able to cover off any huge defensive lapses. 

I don't think Green wants to touch the Pearson - Bo - Loui line, as they have great chemistry and are performing well.  They still play the heavy defensive minutes, but are also putting up points.  This is not the type of situation for Brock to develop his defensive skills.

Although playing on the 3rd line isn't ideal, it is sheltered enough to afford Brock a less intense and forgiving situation.  Unfortunately, Brock is a sniper, who requires a passing/playmaker to be effective offensively, but that is not Gaud's game at the moment.  I was hoping that Roussel would fill that role, but that is yet to be seen.  As someone else suggested, Leivo would probably be a better fit (or hopefully Ferland).

I like what he said about working together with Gaud to improve their game.  Such a great attitude and I suspect both players will benefit from there time as linemates.

It's tough to see The Flow struggling, but he's a smart player and I have no doubt that 'the new and improved Brock' will return to the top 6 as a much more dynamic player. 

Plus, at this point, Loui may never score again, but he can dish the puck and maybe that's all he should be doing.  

Loui's strong defensive and passing abilities are what Brock needs to become proficient at.  All in due time, folks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I am not talking a whole game I am talking about the end of the third when you really don't want the play in our own zone. Also. I am not complaining about Beagle as a player, because I think he is crucial to our success, I am just saying he hasn't been playing like himself lately. Maybe a nagging injury i don't know.

Lastly, I think Bo has big enough shoulders to handle a heavier load, he has had a little practice in that regard. ::D

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Although playing on the 3rd line isn't ideal, it is sheltered enough to afford Brock a less intense and forgiving situation.  Unfortunately, Brock is a sniper, who requires a passing/playmaker to be effective offensively, but that is not Gaud's game at the moment.  I was hoping that Roussel would fill that role, but that is yet to be seen.  As someone else suggested, Leivo would probably be a better fit (or hopefully Ferland).

Is he really though? Brock has looked less and less like a sniper with each passing year. He is definitely a more complete player now than he was and has improved his passing and offensive awareness but I am starting to let go of Boeser being a sniper. I haven't seen Brock pick a corner this year and maybe only a handful last year. His rookie year he was flat out beating goalies with his shot. This year his goals have been a lot of tip ins, rebounds and set ups from EP/JT around the net. I don't mean that as a negative either, it takes skill to get those goals. However,  I do think that if Benning had ended up inking Brock to the 7x7 that was rumoured, there would be more angst about Boeser's long term out put. Overall I think he is earning his current contract which is all you ask. It will be interesting to see what he develops into.

I agree with most of what you said, I trimmed the post for space.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Just read through it and it’s definitely heavy on the salt. Rigged officiating (didn’t STL have more PP’s?), fluke goaltending performance by Demko, the weird skinny alien kid is overrated and Binnington should’ve got the Calder, etc. 

They’re also claiming the Schwartz high stick on petey (which saw Schenn go to the box) was on his elbow or shoulder, saying Petey should be fined for embellishment. Anyone got a replay of that?

Right? Geez guys, even if it DIDN'T hit him in the face, his reaction was completely understandable.