The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian kick Cernak in the Chest - Now with Poll

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Let's see what people think for punishment  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Well Chara just got a $5000 fine for cross checking Gallagher in the throat so anything is possible. Oh wait, Kassian doesn't play for Boston. 

Still can't believe the crooked refs called a penalty on Gallagher too.  Chara is one of the biggest pieces of garbage in the game though, so Kass shouldn't get a suspension based on that.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Didn't he just come off a suspension.

Seems Kassian is just a big goon and that kick to the chest of an opposing player is a very good reason to get the point across to this big goof and dish out player safety type suspensions.

3-5 games for a very dangerous and uncalled for play in the NHL.Then the beer league goon antics might disappear in our wonderful game.

Considering his past suspensions and questionable plays and hitting:

- Was suspended for 20 games in Junior for a hit to the head

- After the Memorial Cup, he was arrested and charged with assault from an incident in a bar

- Junior conference finals, was suspended for 3 games for Intent to Injure

- Suspended for 8 games for breaking Gagner's jaw with careless swinging of stick

- Was suspended by Montreal for crashing his truck while under the influence

- Was suspended for 2 games in International play for hit to the head

- Was just recently suspended for 2 games for the fight Tkachuk (didn't think he actually deserved this one)

I'm sure I've missed at least one or two. Some guys just don't learn, and kicking with a skate takes things to a whole new level.

I'd give him 10+ 

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

Man, that's one thing in hockey you just don't do. A lot of things that should have resulted in suspensions have been ignored and the NHL's pretty pathetic when it comes to discipline, but even they can't ignore something like this. 

You don't kick with skates on. 

14 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Unfortunately Kassian isn't the type who learns lessons naturally he has to be force fed the information over time. Some say he plays the game on the borderline, others simply say he's dumb, both fit.

Makes you think, maybe hit in the head too many times.

Watching him play in Vancouver was incredibly frustrating. Sometimes, I'd watch him and think "Wow, he really has the skill set to become the player that Bertuzzi was for us." Other times, I'd be watching him float aimlessly without back checking, just hanging out at center ice and I'd be thinking, "wow, he really has the habits to become the player that Bertuzzi became for us...."

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don't know, I think I'd need to see another angle on it. Honestly, it's hard to tell whether Kassian's foot / skate was actually moving towards Cernak, or just clearing over the Oiler who is beneath Kassian in that pile-up. It could have very well been a harmless move that just looks a certain way from the camera angle. 

That said, Kassian doesn't have a great record with these kinds of things, like his suspension for a careless stick follow-through on that Oiler back in the day, but I think a better angle would tell a more complete picture on this one.

I agree, could be innocent.. and add to that the fact that nobody seems fazed at all.. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of that, you'd at least appeal to the ref with a glance, maybe give him a wtf gesture..

but yah, it looks bad from that angle

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

That should be 10 games. A kick with a skate, you're talking something that could be construed (easily) as assault with a weapon. Just because Cernak wasn't injured, Kass is looking right at him, its nothing accidental, its a deliberate kick.

I mean, he got an 8 game suspension for a unintentional high stick when he was with us so he should get at least that for sure. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

I agree, could be innocent.. and add to that the fact that nobody seems fazed at all.. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of that, you'd at least appeal to the ref with a glance, maybe give him a wtf gesture..

but yah, it looks bad from that angle

The one thing I've seen with Kassian over the years, he's very seldom, "Innocent" ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

Yeah, this line says it all:

“He kicked me right in the chest, so luckily that wasn’t higher,” Cernak told reporters after the game, a 3-1 Tampa victory over the Oilers. “I knew right away when he was on the ice he kicked me. I think he was a little bit mad and I asked him what was wrong with him, because that’s not a right play to do on the ice, and he didn’t say nothing.”

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I don't know, I think I'd need to see another angle on it. Honestly, it's hard to tell whether Kassian's foot / skate was actually moving towards Cernak, or just clearing over the Oiler who is beneath Kassian in that pile-up. It could have very well been a harmless move that just looks a certain way from the camera angle. 

That said, Kassian doesn't have a great record with these kinds of things, like his suspension for a careless stick follow-through on that Oiler back in the day, but I think a better angle would tell a more complete picture on this one.

Doesn't help that Kass acknowledged kicking him post-game. 

56 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Chris Simon got 30 games for intentionally stepping on Ruutu's foot so I am guessing just intent should be worth 10-15 games.

30 games: Chris Simon, New York Islanders, Dec. 19, 2007, for stepping on the foot of Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jarkko Ruutu. 

I feel like someone did this to Kes, too. 

Ah, right:

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1