The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly a lot to pay, but where was Madden going to play on our team?

EP

Horvat

Gaudette

Madden? I think we'd need a Sutter/Beagle type here, not a 150lb skill player.

Agree completely with this as our top 3C are young and should be here for a long time. Madden is NOT going to be a bottom 6C. Also, there was the potential for him to not sign once his college career is over. That is a lot to risk for someone who may not even decide to stay here. 

Also, I was thinking last night about Boeser and his injury issues combined with murmurs of him going back home to Minny. If TT can replace his scoring and we can do a "hockey trade" ala Johansen for Jones, why would we not do that for Dumba if he is available? Fills a top-2 D need long term with a like cap hit. I love Boes, but his injury issues are starting to concern me. I could see that happening at the draft. Just my thoughts. And I am going to see Boes' family at this weekend's hockey tourney in Minnesota so I do not have it out for him as some may think lol. 

• Cheers 1

There is a lot of risk here.

There are several scenarios where they lose this trade - one of them is no playoffs and Toffoli walks.  The trade looks fair if they make it in and Toffoli ends up signing here.

The question I have is if BB doesnt go down for a significant period of time (as it looks like he will) do they make this trade?  With a healthy top 6 they could have used those assets to shore up the bottom pair on D or to add some much needed toughness.

Edited by Darius

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

There are several scenarios where they lose this trade - one of them is no playoffs and Toffoli walks.  The trade looks fair if they make it in and Toffoli ends up signing here.

The question I have is if BB doesnt go down for a significant period of time (as it looks like he will) do they make this trade?  With a healthy top 6 they could have used those assets to shore up the bottom 6 on D or to add some much needed toughness.

First off there's always risk , ,always. You don't' use premium assets to shore up your bottom 6. Bottom 6 players are relativity cheap if you don't over pay as JB seemingly has for our current bottom 6. So getting away from over paying is probably the best part of this trade. 

Tyler Madden hasn't played a second with the big boys and doubtfully would crack the position he plays.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

First off there's always risk , ,always. You don't' use premium assets to shore up your bottom 6. Bottom 6 players are relativity cheap if you don't over pay as JB seemingly has for our current bottom 6. So getting away from over paying is probably the best part of this trade. 

Tyler Madden hasn't played a second with the big boys and doubtfully would crack the position he plays.  

I meant to write bottom pair on D.  Could any of those assets have been used to improve the D or the toughness ( maybe a versatile tough winger) on the team... I think if BB was healthy they would have filled other holes. 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Darkstar said:

The Canucks could trade Quinn Hughes for Kreider and there would be some posters excited about the deal lol. 

I really hate the Kings. They have an insane prospect pool, and it's going to be scary playing against them in the next couple of years. 

Wait what?

Like...who?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

The question I have is if BB doesnt go down for a significant period of time (as it looks like he will) do they make this trade?  With a healthy top 6 they could have used those assets to shore up the bottom 6 on D or to add some much needed toughness.

What's the risk?

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

All good points, and the nucks just shut Ferland down for the season...  he may never play again.  

Eriksson is going to retire... you don't want to be the guy that derails a franchise on the rise.  

Added to that, he has most of his cash.  I don't see a home for him anywhere in the NHL at that cap hit without the nucks losing one of our top 5 prospects.  He will go thru waivers and then play in the AHL for the next 2 years.  Ala Gagner and Baer.  

Lots of guys can be dealt in the off season on the last year of their deals.  Sutter, Beagle, Benn...  Rousell would be an easy player to deal, if Mikey is ready to be a backup, Demko could be moved, but not likely.   

We have a boon of young promising D men coming into the system.  So depth isn't an issue on defence in the short term.  So I don't see Tanev back.  Stecher could stay and Tryamkin could take a top 4 spot.  If JB can upgrade on Stecher, then so be it.  

If we go on a decent playoff run, anyone of these guys could become an in demand guy if they have a good playoffs.  Looking at the trio if Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson, all.be co winners of the Conn Smythe!!!  Then trade them all!  

I hope you're right about Eriksson but.... common sense tells me that $6M is too much to forgo to keep his price!!!!

Just now, stawns said:

What's the risk?

There are many scenarios where this backfires

examples 

No playoffs, Toffoli walks

First round loss, Toffoli walks

Playoffs, Toffoli stays for inflated price.. Madden turns out to be a cheap top 6 player for his first 3 years

etc etc etc 

Just now, sassbs said:

He’s not as good as he use to be..... he’s better! 

After sleeping (does passing out count as sleeping?) on the idea of this trade, I like the move.  We have a very deep prospect pool, and can afford to use some to help now. Basically we’re rich. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This shows you can add scraps together for a top line player. 2nd round pick, Madden and Schaller are all going to get nowhere, Toffoli is a 1st liner for another 3 years.

Too bad we only have him for  20 games  then.........

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

There are many scenarios where this backfires

examples 

No playoffs, Toffoli walks

First round loss, Toffoli walks

Playoffs, Toffoli stays for inflated price.. Madden turns out to be a cheap top 6 player for his first 3 years

etc etc etc 

Even if they miss the playoffs, the risk is very minimal, imo.  A b prospect who was behind a glut of young cmen and probably 3 years away and a 2nd who will probably never play an NHL game.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Even if they miss the playoffs, the risk is very minimal, imo.  A b prospect who was behind a glut of young cmen and probably 3 years away and a 2nd who will probably never play an NHL game.

We traded from a position of strength.  It’s a good move.  Bess was shut down; we replaced him.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dont get me wrong, i am glad they are doing what they can to take a leap into the playoffs, Im j questioning the use of the assets considering that the return is a UFA.

I get it that Madden may have not worked out here, but he is a highly touted prospect - one of the best players in the NCAA...in my mind im thinking could they have used that prospect (in combo with the pick) to get a young rugged winger under contract or to have bolstered the D (holes on this team that are just as big )

Toffoli is a fantastic player - a real play driver and legit top 6.  I just hope this doesnt come back to bite us in very short order.

Edited by Darius

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Yep there is a ton of risk on the move.  We all know that JB values playoffs hockey for the young cores development and he's willing to bet some futures on hoping to achieve that.  He values this development at the same cost that contending teams value getting that piece to put them over the top for a playoff round.  Whether this is a smart investment or not is another debate.

If things go south and we miss playoffs, it could turn very ugly.  We could essentially be not picking till the 80's at the 2020 draft and have no playoff growth to show for it.  That's not a good look for a team who hasn't made the playoffs since 2015.  If things go well, players like Petey, Hughes, Jake and Bo learn to see what it take to be successful in the playoffs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2