The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Nils Hoglander

8 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Hey Markstrom, your countryman is coming for your job :lol:

"What an NHL debut by this youngsters!  Both starter Markstrom and the backup Demko injured.... and little Hoglander, in his first ever NHL game, posts a 52-save shutout in game 1...."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

"What an NHL debut by this youngsters!  Both starter Markstrom and the backup Demko injured.... and little Hoglander, in his first ever NHL game, posts a 52-save shutout in game 1...."

After scoring a hat trick in the first 10 min in the game (including a lacross goal), the goalies both went down and he went in net and shut the door for a team shut out. He is your first, second and third star of the game!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting whether he chooses to come to play in Utica or chooses to stay in Sweden til he is NHL ready.

Hope he comes over to adjust to the NA style of game.  I feel his overall flash and skill along with an abrasive style will allow him to flourish despite his short stature.

I think he needs a little time in Utica, I think Canucks will get him here and start getting him acclimatized to North American play.

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“When I was younger, I always tried crazy things with the stick and the puck. Try to take that to the ice, but I'm not sure what I was thinking. It just comes up in my head and it works, I scored.” - Hoglander on his lacrosse goal

“I don't know with my size, I know I can play against bigger men and I trust myself with my body. That wasn't a problem, with my size. I'm happy to be taken by Vancouver [in the 2nd round], that was good for me.” - Hoglander on his size

“When I protect the puck, that's my strength, not just stick-handling. I work out a lot, I'm pretty strong. But don't be scared to go there [tough areas]. I think I'll win the puck, and nothing else.” - Hoglander on his best attributes 

My goal is to win, and I always love to win the puck, the battle. Don't be scared to go into the battle to win the puck. I'm not the biggest guy, so I need to go in with my body and win the puck against bigger men.” - Hoglander on playing with an edge

This is what I think will make him successful at the NHL level.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Happy to see this kid signed. 

Now I'll have to be a realist for a moment and hope he develops into a contributing regular at some point, all while understanding that he's an average sized (some might say undersized for NHL) 19yo, and never played in a NA pro-style system before and there may be a huge learning curve combined with ups and downs along the way.

Let's hope for the best, but be realistic.   

Edited by Fanuck
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's not getting more than an ELC. There's not a whole lot to negotiate. Our intention was to always sign him this offseason and get a longer look for him here in training camp (whereas he would be obligated to head back to Sweden for his camp there if not signed with us). We could still loan him back to Sweden if he prefers to not play in Utica (although I hope he sticks around).

This is my preference also.

In my humble opinion, he needs to start getting used to the North American game asap. 

The smaller ice surface, the higher level of intensity, and the higher skill level of the opposition are all things he'll have to adjust to.

This is a guy who's minor league career could be very short. 

He'll need to adjust fast.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting whether he chooses to come to play in Utica or chooses to stay in Sweden til he is NHL ready.

Hope he comes over to adjust to the NA style of game.  I feel his overall flash and skill along with an abrasive style will allow him to flourish despite his short stature.

Canucks are going to have a seriously great problem to have; a logjam of skilled forwards.

MILLER - PETTERSSON - TOFFOLI

PEARSON - HORVAT - BOESER

HÖGLANDER - GAUDETTE - PODKOLZIN

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Horvat - Toffoli*
Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - MacEwen

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

Motte for Leivo and love that lineup! Just style of play and PK ability. Agree with Rooster and Sutter gone! Also, hopefully Ferland gets back healthy!

• Cheers 2