The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, Megalodon said:

I am curious, what happens now in the timeline for the new Seattle franchise?

I'm curious to see if Trump wants to wage war on his own people in Seattle.......? 

Ooops, wrong thread.....^_^

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I'm curious to see if Trump wants to wage war on his own people in Seattle.......? 

Ooops, wrong thread.....^_^

He is too dangerous. Anything conceivable is possible. They thought Obama was the antichrist, maybe...

• 4 weeks later...

With the loss of gate revenue, now and for the foreseeable future.  I wonder if it would be smarter to relocate Ari there. Or any other failing market team.  If covid continues to cut gate revenue how can the monied teams continue to support the have nots?

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With the loss of gate revenue, now and for the foreseeable future.  I wonder if it would be smarter to relocate Ari there. Or any other failing market team.  If covid continues to cut gate revenue how can the monied teams continue to support the have nots?

I’m guessing with the money that’s already been paid to get the team, etc...... a relocation to Seattle isn’t an option. 
New owners bought a new team.

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Expansion money plus relocation money would offset a billion dollar loss. Quebec could take on a team and get the league 150 to 500 million or so.

Seattle was always going to be a very good team out of the box but now they could be a juggernaut getting more top picks than Vegas did.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Why?  The Coyotes and Panthers have been playing to empty barns for a long time.  Didn't you know coronavirus is just a later stage in Bettman's league parity plan?  B)

• Haha 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes thanks, I was just postulating about Vancouver's league transfer payments.  How we have pay to prop up weaker market teams. 

TV money is going to become more important I guess.

For sure.  I wouldn't want to be the one to try to balance it all out, but ideally there should be more money earned by broadcasters, which should increase league revenue.  But, considering how these contracts are worded (and I have no idea what the contracts are or when they expire), I struggle to see a lot of sharing of the new revenue by the broadcasters.  If player escrow isn't enough to cover the losses, I guess that might lead to a lockout at some point.

FWIW, I haven't been paying attention to a lot of discussion on this lately, so apologies if I am repeating the words of others, especially if any real reports have countered any of my guesses.