The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens re-sign Jeff Petry

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

It’s ok deal cause he’s a solid player for them right now but that cap hit will be trouble in 3 years

never been a fan of signing a player a year away from UFA/RFA. A lot can change in a year and there’s no rush to get something done right away 

In most cases I agree, but I would be thrilled if the Canucks can ink both Pettersson and Hughes right now.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, billabong said:

It’s ok deal cause he’s a solid player for them right now but that cap hit will be trouble in 3 years

never been a fan of signing a player a year away from UFA/RFA. A lot can change in a year and there’s no rush to get something done right away 

That was my first thought.  Why not wait until next season plays out before doing this.

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

He and Weber are the foundation of their D.  Finding a big, responsible RHD that puts up 40+ points is damn near impossible. I like the signing.  He’s been pretty durable to date. Hopefully that carries through the term of the contract 

in spite of any of that, he will probably find himself on virtually every smarmy list of 'unmoveable' / mistake veteran contracts regardless of how well he sustains his performance.

He'll get the corsi pass,  but brace yourself for the one-metric types that will probably descend in here with the plus/minus 'analytics', pointing out that he's -116, minus 8 of the last 9 years, -30 in 17/18....etc.

I wouldn't call it a 'bad' signing - it pushes the comfort zone of term for a 33 yr old for sure - but that's the market - and a perenial 23+ player that they probably can't afford and don't want to move on from. 

One question I would have here - is whether his expiring next summer nevertheless exempts him from the e.d. - or whether re-upping beforehand makes him technically exposed?

One thing about Petry that I think might make him somewhat less of a decline risk - in spite of his size, he's somewhat slight at 197lbs - which might account somewhat in decline-projections - might bode well for his continued mobility.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He and Weber are the foundation of their D.  Finding a big, responsible RHD that puts up 40+ points is damn near impossible. I like the signing.  He’s been pretty durable to date. Hopefully that carries through the term of the contract 

certainly makes sense from that pov. Its still 13+ mil tied up in pretty old guys but they're also very good players so I can see the thinking here. 

It should tone down the Tanev at 5-6 mil thing thats been blowing around in the media. I love Tanev but he's not close to this kind of deal whatsoever. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

in spite of any of that, he will probably find himself on virtually every smarmy list of 'unmoveable' / mistake veteran contracts regardless of how well he sustains his performance.

He'll get the corsi pass,  but brace yourself for the one-metric types that will probably descend in here with the plus/minus 'analytics', pointing out that he's -116, minus 8 of the last 9 years, -30 in 17/18....etc.

I wouldn't call it a 'bad' signing - it pushes the comfort zone of term for a 33 yr old for sure - but that's the market - and a perenial 23+ player that they probably can't afford and don't want to move on from. 

One question I would have here - is whether his expiring next summer nevertheless exempts him from the e.d. - or whether re-upping beforehand makes him technically exposed?

One thing about Petry that I think might make him somewhat less of a decline risk - in spite of his size, he's somewhat slight at 197lbs - which might account somewhat in decline-projections - might bode well for his continued mobility.

With Weber, Edmundson, and Chiarot, the Canadiens have a solid and big defense. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

With Weber, Edmundson, and Chiarot, the Canadiens have a solid and big defense. 

With Weber, Petry, Edmundons and Chiarot - they could/should also be able to provide good conditions/foundation for young players - like the smaller, but mobile, aggressive, puck-carrying/moving Mete - who is still only 22 and whose production could probably uptick, particularly as the Habs become firmer in the remainder of their 'foundation' = more able to tailor his minutes.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Good deal for now, but I bet this is a buyout candidate during the last two years of it.

I wouldn't bet on any of these things at this point.

Who would have bet on the Subban contract being a buyout candidate / 'unmoverable' etc before the allegedly old, 'bad' contract known as Shea Weber's?

This might be Bergevin (flashy guy by nature) splashing the cash to announce to the rest of the league that Montreal's got the money.  Doesn't affect their bottom line at all for the upcoming season.  

Might come back to bite them in the behind in a couple of years if the rest of the slightly-above-average d-men start getting 4 mil/year in the new NHL, especially given the fact that this contract covers years 33 to 37.