The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade for Cernak

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I really like trade idea for Cernak, 23,  6'3 young and stud on defence.coming off entry level contract RFA--- 

So weird that NHL Capfriendly have no new deal on Cernak and there very up to date with any deals?? He will demand 4.5 X 4 yrs.

Deal must not be complete,  go to capFriendly ?

This is the type of D man Vancouver and group have to chase...

Sergachev  22, 6'3, is there other stud D man both guys if they resign will put them over cap.. 4.5 X 3 yrs 

Tampa Bay only have 5 million cap so they have to really wheel and deal before Oct 7th lots of good players to sign....

I would think a Ottawa or Detroit even Colorado will be trying to trade for either one of these young D men and they have high picks..

I know Yzerman in Detroit will be after these young D man he drafted both guys...

Cernak would come at a heavy cost to us.  TB needs to shed salary, but many teams would have significant interest. The Lightning can't take on much in the way of salary, so it would likely be for straight futures.  I'd look at something like DiPietro, Rafferty and a 2021 2nd, and then deal Stecher to replace one of those assets.  

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Cernak would come at a heavy cost to us.  TB needs to shed salary, but many teams would have significant interest. The Lightning can't take on much in the way of salary, so it would likely be for straight futures.  I'd look at something like DiPietro, Rafferty and a 2021 2nd, and then deal Stecher to replace one of those assets.  

I dont really see this as a heavy host tbh

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont really see this as a heavy host tbh

Rafferty is worthy of a look - AHL all-star isn’t something to look away from.  That said the fact we haven’t  tried him out yet is concerning.   Shultz was one of those guys and it did translate.   Don’t think we need to give up the farm for Cernak but wouldn’t be sad if we did either.   Rafferty is also 6’2” - but basically Hamhuis size - since so many people are so enthralled with weight and height (BTW Chelios played at 190lbs and 5’11).   It’s not the size but the fight in the dog and all that.    Don’t care about size or weight - how does the player actually play?  Is he a bruiser?  Can’t say - have barely watched him.   That said wow 18 extra lbs on Rafferty must be so very much.   Worth it for sure.    Since we are talking about a heavy “host” cost and all. 

TB obviously needs to shed salary.  I wouldn't want any of their older, well/over paid players.  The only ones I would want are Point, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak.  They will not let Point go and we don't have the cap space for him or Sergachev.  Cirelli would be a great pickup but other teams could probably offer much more than the Canucks.  Cernak would be interesting, but again I think other teams with multiple picks and lots of capspace this year will be able to outbid us.  I don't think it is a battle we can win, but I hope Benning is trying every angle to improve the team.

I really like Cernak

But in saying that, it is his size, speed and stats that entice me

So, I will trust CDC, and the scouts for their assessments 

So, I will take the big leap of faith and accept that Cernak has the ceiling of a top RHD

or a the very least a top 3

In any case, with his age, size and stated abilities, I would be willing to do this..............

Woo

2021 2nd

Gaudette

DiPietro

This is a futures offer to Tampa obviously, but if all the noise about Cernak are true, he will be a core piece for years to come

In the Canuck sphere, I see the following as core pieces, in which to build around...................with age and ability being the only criteria

Hoglander       Pettersson       Boeser                              Hughes             Cernak                             Demko

XXXXXX          Horvat           Podkolzin                           Juolevi              XXXXX                             XXXXXX

XXXXXX          XXXXXX        Virtanen                             Rathbone         XXXXX

XXXXXX        MacEwen       Lind

This list does not include Miller, Toffoli, Myers, Pearson, .................all who would obviously be on the team now, but will not in 4 to 5 years

I also see it as having a lot of speculation in projecting Hoglander, PodkolzinJuolevi and Rathbone into the spots they have been placed

So sliding back to my proposal for a second. I think that is what it will take to get Cernak, "IF" he is as good as advertised, otherwise, why would Tampa not keep him, and move others..............

Is he as good as advertised? Is he worth giving up that much asset?

14 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Everyone knows it. TBL are in cap trouble. Cap hell. Worse than cap hell!

I'm gonna assume that NONE of their NTC and NMC players will accept a trade to another team. Why would they? They earned the clause in their contract and they will want to stay with a contending team, even more so if they win the CUP.

The only players that can be traded are:

Point

Killorn (m-NTC)

Coleman

Paquette

Goodrow

I can't see them trading Point - he's too good. Coleman, Paquette, Goodrow are on very friendly contracts and probably can't be replaced for better value, so they won't be traded either.

Killorn is definitely getting traded. This leaves them with $9.78m in cap space to sign at least 8 players to fill their roster.

All 3 of their big name RFA's (Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak) are going to cost them at least $4m each. They really cannot afford to pay any one of them that much, since it won't leave enough space to fill the rest of their roster.

I believe that TBL will look to trade these big name RFAs in return for some very good NHL players on retained salaries, so that they can fill their roster with talent at very low cost.

It has me wondering whether VAN has some assets that TBL could desire. What TBL need most are Dmen and bottom 6 players. They will also be looking for picks and prospects.

Would this trade appeal?...

To TBL: 

Beagle (50% retained) - $1.5m

Rafferty (50% retained) - $350k

Woo

2021 2nd round pick

To VAN:

Cernak (already signed to $4m x 4 years by TBL before trading)

For TBL they get some serious PK and FO firepower in Beagle for their bottom 6, plus Rafferty in their defense mix (all for only $1.85m). Woo stays in the minors and is ready in 1-2 years. Plus a 2nd rounder.

For VAN we get a cost controlled young Dman with mobility and size. Perfect complement to Hughes. Replacement for Tanev.

Will be interested to hear if you think we're paying too much, or whether you think TBL laughs and hangs up the phone...

I love the idea of bringing in Cernak, but that package is very unrealistic in my opinion.

If the situation was reversed, would you give up a good young promising stay at home defender for two cap dumps at 50% retention, a very questionable prospect that isn’t a lock for the NHL, and a 2nd?  Probably not.

The asking price for Cernak would be Virtanen+ in my opinion.   I think Rathbone and Lind might get it done as well, but I’m not sure.

Cernak is already a better player than Chris Tanev and so I would absolutely be interested in trading for him and letting Tanev walk.  Cernak would be an excellent ying to the yang for Hughes (like a Muzzin to Hughes’ Doughty if you will). 

Edited by DarkIndianRises

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I love the idea of bringing in Cernak, but that package is very unrealistic in my opinion.

If the situation was reversed, would you give up a good young promising stay at home defender for two cap dumps at 50% retention, a very questionable prospect that isn’t a lock for the NHL, and a 2nd?  Probably not.

The asking price for Cernak would be Virtanen+ in my opinion.   I think Rathbone and Lind might get it done as well, but I’m not sure.

Cernak is already a better player than Chris Tanev and so I would absolutely be interested in trading for him and letting Tanev walk.  Cernak would be an excellent ying to the yang for Hughes (like a Muzzin to Hughes’ Doughty if you will). 

Yeah that's why I threw out to CDC for opinions.

The reality for TBL is that, if they can't move any of their NTC/NMC guys, they can't keep Cernak. So they will have to move him for the best deal they can get.

Is this the best deal they can get? Dunno...probably not.

They won't want Virtanen because they can't afford him.

39 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah that's why I threw out to CDC for opinions.

The reality for TBL is that, if they can't move any of their NTC/NMC guys, they can't keep Cernak. So they will have to move him for the best deal they can get.

Is this the best deal they can get? Dunno...probably not.

They won't want Virtanen because they can't afford him.

I'd probably offer something as high as Rathbone, Lind, and a lower pick.  

Probably an overpayment but he'd be an awesome Tanev replacement and be a great fit for Hughes.  

Funny to think about trading Rafferty, Juolevi, or Rathbone to the Tampa Bay Lightning...

You'd have to think each of those guys would be in a great position to maximize their potential there.

Watch Rafferty go the other way and score 40 points next year for TBL.

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I really like Cernak

But in saying that, it is his size, speed and stats that entice me

So, I will trust CDC, and the scouts for their assessments 

So, I will take the big leap of faith and accept that Cernak has the ceiling of a top RHD

or a the very least a top 3

In any case, with his age, size and stated abilities, I would be willing to do this..............

Woo

2021 2nd

Gaudette

DiPietro

This is a futures offer to Tampa obviously, but if all the noise about Cernak are true, he will be a core piece for years to come

In the Canuck sphere, I see the following as core pieces, in which to build around...................with age and ability being the only criteria

Hoglander       Pettersson       Boeser                              Hughes             Cernak                             Demko

XXXXXX          Horvat           Podkolzin                           Juolevi              XXXXX                             XXXXXX

XXXXXX          XXXXXX        Virtanen                             Rathbone         XXXXX

XXXXXX        MacEwen       Lind

This list does not include Miller, Toffoli, Myers, Pearson, .................all who would obviously be on the team now, but will not in 4 to 5 years

I also see it as having a lot of speculation in projecting Hoglander, PodkolzinJuolevi and Rathbone into the spots they have been placed

So sliding back to my proposal for a second. I think that is what it will take to get Cernak, "IF" he is as good as advertised, otherwise, why would Tampa not keep him, and move others..............

Is he as good as advertised? Is he worth giving up that much asset?

That top line looks a little bit "thin". The talent level is probably fine, but who does the heavy lifting, all 5' 9" of Hoglander? 

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

That top line looks a little bit "thin". The talent level is probably fine, but who does the heavy lifting, all 5' 9" of Hoglander? 

regards,  G.

I think so too, "G"