The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Let's be realistic here, if his last name was Kowalski we wouldn't give 2 shicks. Jordan Kowalski would Be another small Dman who can score but,  would be eaten alive in the NHL. Like a Justin Schultz lite. 

whats the point in trading subban for another project useless grinder player like Granlund? How many more of these guys we need? The thing is if Benning knew how to trade, I would be like okay, but knowing Benning he probably ends up trading Subban for Janowski, because Wiesbrod tells him, and then gives us a story of how he is going to become a good player for us. LOL 

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Let's be realistic here, if his last name was Kowalski we wouldn't give 2 shicks. Jordan Kowalski would Be another small Dman who can score but,  would be eaten alive in the NHL. Like a Justin Schultz lite. 

Kowalski?  I wouldn't trade Ballard and a back of pucks for a Polish hockey player.  We're playing hockey, not making perogies.

Now...if Subban was called Kowalskov, that would be a different matter.

6814-15_8-640x427.jpg

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning probably trade Subban for a cheeseburger, the guy hates Subban, seriously has zero patience with players with skill. Bases his judgement off 1 ahl season.

Too much for Subban. He's only worth a short stack....

shortstack_zpsdzqjl2b7.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

whats the point in trading subban for another project useless grinder player like Granlund? How many more of these guys we need? The thing is if Benning knew how to trade, I would be like okay, but knowing Benning he probably ends up trading Subban for Janowski, because Wiesbrod tells him, and then gives us a story of how he is going to become a good player for us. LOL 

fyi Jankowski is a college player who could be UFA mid-August and the Flames are really eager to sign him before that happens because to quote an Eric Francis article on Sportsnet earlier this month: "Once considered a long shot, Jankowski now holds all the cards as he’s evolved into a player every NHL team would be interested in."

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

To Toronto: Burrows, Jordan Subban, 6th

to Vancouver: 7th

Vancouver with (3) 7rnd picks. 

7 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning probably trade Subban for a cheeseburger, the guy hates Subban, seriously has zero patience with players with skill. Bases his judgement off 1 ahl season.

7 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Vancouver fans right there.

Desi instead of spouting nonsense would you like to provide a quote or TANGIBLE proof that Benning "hates" Subban? 

Back up your allegations with facts. Then again if you paid attention to facts you might enjoy hockey more. 

Burrows has struggled to get points, but he still blocks shots, checks, and does a lot of little things that got him into the league in the first place. The only issue is the game seems to have left him lagging behind. 

I hope he goes into coaching. It will be sad the day we have to let him go. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Blockpiler said:

He's a consistent heart and soul type of player. If the organization doesn't want that type of player I'm done with this team.

At some point you have to move out older players so that new players can take over, that’s all part of the transition. It has nothing to do with not wanting Burrows character and everything to do with the direction the team is heading.  Also, it’s not like this team is short of heart and soul players.  

29 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

At some point you have to move out older players so that new players can take over, that’s all part of the transition. It has nothing to do with not wanting Burrows character and everything to do with the direction the team is heading.  Also, it’s not like this team is short of heart and soul players.  

Yeah for sure ....but if it's done whole sale then you end up with the Oilers model. You DO need mentoring if you want to get the best from your youngsters for years to come. Take your pick we settle for youngster bent on themselves and partying or we settle on a smooth transition form one generation to the next ....more like other clubs such as Detroit or the "old" Canadiens....pass the torch

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah for sure ....but if it's done whole sale then you end up with the Oilers model. You DO need mentoring if you want to get the best from your youngsters for years to come. Take your pick we settle for youngster bent on themselves and partying or we settle on a smooth transition form one generation to the next ....more like other clubs such as Detroit or the "old" Canadiens....pass the torch

Sedins, Hansen, Dorsett, Edler, Sutter, and even our President Linden we’ve still got plenty of leadership.   How many veteran leaders does a team really need?  I would say the Sedins are move valuable in leadership than Burrows,  they are likely all we really need.   Burrows isn’t going to make or break it, In fact all he’s doing it taking a up a roster spot so a young player can’t make the team.  Hard to mentor, when the kids are stuck out of the line up.  Also some of them aren’t so young anymore.  Horvat will be in his 3rd NHL season next year, Toews was already captaining his team to a Stanley cup in his 3rd season. 

People need to stop using the comparison of the oilers.  It’s doesn’t work.  Oilers handed over the keys of the team to 18 year olds.  As soon as they were in the NHL, they were giving 1st line minutes and expected to carry the team.  Oilers, at the time, didn’t have any other options,  Smyth was washed up and Hemsky isn’t a role model.  Canucks have the twins, and as long as the twins are here, they will have the keys to the team. As long as the twins are here, we never have to worry about going full oilers. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually I sort of disagree. I think we are short of heart and soul on this club. This makes Burrows very necessary. The issue with Burrows is his contract and what hew can truly deliver on ice. If he was making 2.5M I would have no issue keeping him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Actually I sort of disagree. I think we are short of heart and soul on this club. This makes Burrows very necessary. The issue with Burrows is his contract and what hew can truly deliver on ice. If he was making 2.5M I would have no issue keeping him.

Even a $1.5m salary wouldn't save him now IMO. His problem isn't his salary, it isn't his leadership and it certainly isn't his 'try'.

He'd be a roadblock to a younger guy who needs to play. There's no room at the inn. ESPECIALLY if we manage to spend some of our vast cap space on a UFA this summer. 

Very likely he's bought out. Might get waived where he can certainly bring those VALUABLE leadership traits to our prospects in Utica (and likely pass waivers easily given his salary). I doubt he gets traded (even at 50%). Doubt he retires  (but if he agreed to and I'm the Canucks, I offer him a coaching gig pronto).

• Upvote 1