The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Rain?

JoeyBats

Last night was astonishing here. I've never seen anything like it, even in the tropics. 4 straight hours of continuous lightning striking every 3-4 seconds and extreme flash floods. Sounded like a bomb going off. 

Sadly a train also hit a landslide this morning and derailed. 

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

28 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Last night was astonishing here. I've never seen anything like it, even in the tropics. 4 straight hours of continuous lightning striking every 3-4 seconds and extreme flash floods. Sounded like a bomb going off. 

Sadly a train also hit a landslide this morning and derailed. 

I saws that, very sad. They were redirected to avoid one land slide only to be hit by another.

We had a bad lighting storm here a couple weeks ago. My dog was cowering  in the corner from the booms and flashes outside. Thankfully for her it was no where near as bad as you experienced.

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I saws that, very sad. They were redirected to avoid one land slide only to be hit by another.

We had a bad lighting storm here a couple weeks ago. My dog was cowering  in the corner from the booms and flashes outside. Thankfully for her it was no where near as bad as you experienced.

A narrow band of weather, rectangular in shape hit  Nanoose, Lasqueti Island, Texada Island, through Powell River and up into Toba Inlet. Quite the show.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

A narrow band of weather, rectangular in shape hit  Nanoose, Lasqueti Island, Texada Island, through Powell River and up into Toba Inlet. Quite the show.

Yeah, it was pretty wild. Had us up in the middle of the night watching the show

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, bishopshodan said:

That period was bad here as well, although we didn’t get as much rain we got a hell of a lot of dry lightning that was continuously striking every few seconds a brilliant purple. Was magnificent to see and it looked and sounded like it was from war of the worlds. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, goalie13 said:

That was quite the downpour on the Island today.

Haven’t lived on the island for a decade and don’t miss the rain.. but I do miss the places above - looks like they have the pictures reversed - that’s a lot of rain

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, goalie13 said:

That was quite the downpour on the Island today.

Yep, Englishman river got too big for it's britches.

Rescue crews evacuate residents stranded due to Parksville flooding

UPDATE: Flood waters breach banks of the Englishman River

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/rescue-crews-evacuate-residents-stranded-due-to-parksville-flooding/

32 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep, Englishman river got too big for it's britches.

Rescue crews evacuate residents stranded due to Parksville flooding

UPDATE: Flood waters breach banks of the Englishman River

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/rescue-crews-evacuate-residents-stranded-due-to-parksville-flooding/

I'm not surprised based on the photos that guy posted.

• Cheers 1

• 4 months later...

I couldn’t find an “OMG Lightning?” thread, so this one will have to do.

Quite the electrical storm tonight.

Possibly the most intense I’ve ever seen in the Vancouver area. Nothing like what you’ll see in Ontario or parts of the Prairies, but definitely a big thunder storm for the Lower Mainland.

One strike was so close there was basically no gap between the lightning and thunder. And hit so hard it lit up my bedroom with a blinding flash of light, and shook the whole house.

Somehow my kids slept through it. They are good sleepers!

I’ve been outside watching the show, since I can’t sleep with all these flashes and noise. Storm seems to be moving north now, and getting less intense, but was a pretty good light show there for a while. :) 

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I couldn’t find an “OMG Lightning?” thread, so this one will have to do.

Quite the electrical storm tonight.

Possibly the most intense I’ve ever seen in the Vancouver area. Nothing like what you’ll see in Ontario or parts of the Prairies, but definitely a big thunder storm for the Lower Mainland.

One strike was so close there was basically no gap between the lightning and thunder. And hit so hard it lit up my bedroom with a blinding flash of light, and shook the whole house.

Somehow my kids slept through it. They are good sleepers!

I’ve been outside watching the show, since I can’t sleep with all these flashes and noise. Storm seems to be moving north now, and getting less intense, but was a pretty good light show there for a while. :) 

I went outside and watched it, too.  Through the cloud cover, whole areas of the sky would suddenly light up.   Pretty cool!

• Upvote 1