The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey loves European football almost as much as hockey. Too bad Sweden is out. 

I think it will be Italy vs. England in the final. England will have home field advantage so they are the favourites. It could be a game for the ages. Wembley will be rocking. 

If it is Italy England expect a tight cagey game and not an end to end excitement packed game. 

Southgate has exciting attacking talent but he has they playing hard to beat tight football. English defence isn’t that great and in the past when we have tried to play an open game against top tier teams we either get taken apart or cannot control a game. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey loves European football almost as much as hockey. Too bad Sweden is out. 

I think it will be Italy vs. England in the final. England will have home field advantage so they are the favourites. It could be a game for the ages. Wembley will be rocking. 

Personally a fan of South American football myself rather see open attacking play and Latin flair vs European master tactics and defensive shape myself.

Could obviously do without the fouling and over the top diving prevalent on Latin teams though.

As a Bazil fan I can clearly see why South America struggles so much against European competition. European nations generally have much more depth and play much a more sound 2 way game which you need to win in any major tournament play.

A handful of attacking talent is not enough when you struggle for quality in midfield and with your defenders.

Something more needs to be done or else the World Cup will continue to remain a realistic goal for only Europe while the rest of the world stays spectators.

21 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Disappointing showing in the second half by the supposed top ranked team in the world. Spain-Italy, interesting matchup for sure.

Can seeing going to penalties at best but a win for Italy regardless.

Don't see Spain winning if they have to rely on Alvaro Morata who imo is overrated as a top striker option.

22 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

England is special. Have a good feeling about them winning it all

Shaping up for an England v Italy Final from Wembley.  Atmosphere will be insane.  Must listen to radio.  

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alfie you can come into the dressing room anytime, we have a 100' TV to watch the games...  :)

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Yeah, why the radio?

There’s a certain electricity that listening to a radio broadcast provides.  I’m old and grew up listening to sports on the radio.  Maybe that’s part of it?  

On 7/2/2021 at 2:33 AM, Lateralus91 said:

As a Dortmund supporter I'm glad the saga is finally over. I knew Twitter can be toxic and all but the Man Utd Twitter mob was something I've never seen. Ignorant, arrogant, oblivious, presumptuous are the nicer words I can find for that lot.

I wish Jadon all the best, he's been a heck of a player for us and he's grown a lot as a person. At the same time I can honestly say I've found a new club to hate and wish all the worst to Man Utd.

As far as replacements go it seems we are in for Donyell Malen and / or Noni Madueke from PSV. Malen would fit the Rose scheme of two strikers and is not a direct replacement for Sancho. Madueke would be more of a winger/dribbler type like Sancho. On the other hand we still have Reyna and Knauff on the wings who I expect to step up their game this year.

Malen would be a great signing for you guys.  He's one I was sad to see leave Arsenal, along with Gnabry and Amaechi.  The latter, however, kind of lost his way, though.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

There’s a certain electricity that listening to a radio broadcast provides.  I’m old and grew up listening to sports on the radio.  Maybe that’s part of it?  

If you can listen to the 5live radio coverage the commentary is usually pretty good and when you think of memorable commentary 9/10 it was the clip from the radio. 
don’t get me wrong watching the game is great but radio commentary is usually where it’s at. Good thing we have the option of the radio commentary from 5live when the BBC show the game as well 

8 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Realistically Ukraine were always unlikely to win, but that's a poor result.

Denmark definitely have what it takes to put them in their place. The arrogance has been off the charts in the last few days.

Your Scottishness is showing again ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

England is special. Have a good feeling about them winning it all

We have yet to go behind, so until we have seen how they are when they are chasing a game I would be cautious in calling the championship for them. 

if England get past Denmark they will be tested by the Italians or Spanish, Italy because they are far more clinical in front of goal than Germany were, and Germany should have scored.

With Spain they have been wasteful and found it difficult to break teams down who sit back and let them play in front, but concentration levels need to be high otherwise all it take is one I’ll disciplined chase of a player to create a positional gap they will exploit. England would not have control of possession to out play the Spanish as we are technically good enough so it would be interesting to see how we would set up against them. They are not the same team we beat in the nations league 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Alflives said:

Shaping up for an England v Italy Final from Wembley.  Atmosphere will be insane.  Must listen to radio.  

Hope you're wrong...

I'll be heading to Wembley to support the Danes... so I defo hope you're wrong Alf :)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hope you're wrong...

I'll be heading to Wembley to support the Danes... so I defo hope you're wrong Alf :)

You get to be at the game!  I’m still hopeful to one day park my scooter in the stands of a game in England.  Really not about the play on the field so much, but more about being in the crowd.  You’re going to get one heck of a thrill from being there!  Very cool!  :towel:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You get to be at the game!  I’m still hopeful to one day park my scooter in the stands of a game in England.  Really not about the play on the field so much, but more about being in the crowd.  You’re going to get one heck of a thrill from being there!  Very cool!  :towel:

Yeah been bouncing ever since I got the ticket confirmed... Just magic. 

Now we'll wait and see, what the outcome will be, but yes it'll be magic Alf...

• Cheers 2