The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

54 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I had to laugh....I came across this article from USA Today back in 2017. They were ranking the picks in the draft.

Not surprisingly, they weren't excited about the Bears taking Trubisky, but wow, did they miss on this one:

Reveal hidden contents

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)

Grade: C-

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

The worst thing about that trade is that Pace gave up 3 picks to move down 1 spot.

S.F was going to draft Solomon Thomas either way, they were just telling our dumb GM that other teams were talking to them about that pick.
Bears gave up 67th and 111th as well as next years 3rd rounder, fun fact, S.F traded that pick to Saints and they drafted some guy by the name of Alvin Kamara. Watson was the best qb on paper in that draft, 4 year starter and won a championship. 
So to give all that to draft Trubisky who started for only 1 year was absolutely asinine.

Now they are talking about trying to trade for Watson, I mean wtf! Probably cost them another 2 first round picks.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:00 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Romo’s gone on the biggest redemption arch since getting into broadcast. Went from the butt of so many jokes to greatly respected by viewers. 

I wouldn't be suprised if Romo is this era's John Madden. He was an OK quarterback but Romo is undeniable the best in his field. In his 2nd year, he pretty much became the A-team of CBS with Jim Nance and calling the superbowl which is incredible

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, c00kies said:

Great deal for Detroit, can possibly move Goff if they want to as well. 

I think the deal wouldve been better had Goff not been part of the deal. Goff is going to take a lot of their cap, and I don't think hes as talented as people think he is. Sean McVay would basically tell him who to throw to when the headsets were on. Matt Stafford is going to do really well in LA, finally he gets a defence and a running game with McVay coaching him up. If healthy Im predicting a career year for Stafford

12 minutes ago, c00kies said:

That's 4 dealt now, right? Hard to keep an all-around team losing out on those picks.

I think 7

per Schefter:

Jared Goff was Rams last 1st-round pick in 2016; since then, they’ve traded away their next 7 1st-round picks:

•2017: Traded to Titans
•2018: Traded to Pats
•2019: Traded to Falcons
•2020: Traded to Jags
•2021: Traded to Jags
•2022: Traded to Lions
•2023: Traded to Lions

Edited by NucksPatsFan

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I think 7

per Schefter:

Jared Goff was Rams last 1st-round pick in 2016; since then, they’ve traded away their next 7 1st-round picks:

•2017: Traded to Titans
•2018: Traded to Pats
•2019: Traded to Falcons
•2020: Traded to Jags
•2021: Traded to Jags
•2022: Traded to Lions
•2023: Traded to Lions

Holy F...thats brutal...

• Cheers 1

The thing that gets me is. In the NFL, you have players that have track records in College. Usually players are there for 2-4 years. So when they graduate they are 22 years old.

So you get a decent idea what kind of player you have. Some players take more time to develop. But unlike hockey, you've got a far better idea what kind of player you have.

Now football is tough, you could be a hall of fame QB, and get wiped out in a tackle and mess up your shoulder and your career is gone. But you'd think scouting in football would be easier than hockey. But clearly some GM's and scouts are far better than others. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The thing that gets me is. In the NFL, you have players that have track records in College. Usually players are there for 2-4 years. So when they graduate they are 22 years old.

So you get a decent idea what kind of player you have. Some players take more time to develop. But unlike hockey, you've got a far better idea what kind of player you have.

Now football is tough, you could be a hall of fame QB, and get wiped out in a tackle and mess up your shoulder and your career is gone. But you'd think scouting in football would be easier than hockey. But clearly some GM's and scouts are far better than others. 

The difference, in my opinion, is a scouts ability to differentiate between "what are they missing that can be taught" and "what are they missing that can't be taught".

Ie. DK Metcalf. In a re-draft he's a top 10 pick, but he fell because he "can't run anything but a go route". The ability to see that he's got all the raw tools that can't be taught, combined with route running, which can be taught, will result in a freak of a #1 WR. 

Also, I think some scouts, though they won't admit it, have a "big school" bias and can't accurately scout a really good player on a really bad team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Awful tragedy for a young football fan, but a great gesture by the Falcons' Grady Jarrett:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2930043-grady-jarrett-nfl-sending-taeden-johnson-to-super-bowl-after-family-tragedy?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Atlanta Falcons star Grady Jarrett is partnering with his franchise and the NFL to send a 12-year-old fan to the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay, Florida, this weekend.

The defensive end surprised Taeden Johnson of Athens, Georgia, with two tickets to what will be his first NFL game after the Falcons fan lost three family members in a mobile home fire Jan. 27, according to ESPN's Michael DiRocco.

Johnson was able to escape to a neighbor's home and call 911 before he ran back to help his mother, grandmother and younger sister, who died in the fire.

Now, Jarrett is leading the effort to help bring Johnson to see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs battle for the Lombardi Trophy. Per DiRocco, the Falcons are stepping in to provide transportation and lodging accommodations for the weekend as well. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a nice gesture, to be sure, but isn't it a bit early?   

The young guy just lost some of his family less than two weeks ago.  Let him have time to grieve and then do something major for him.  He'll probably be in a better position to enjoy it then.

• Cheers 1

Cheifs aast coach Brit Reid son of head coach Andy Reid was drink and on pills. He hit 2 vehicles injuring 2 small children. 

5 year old in hospital with life threatening injuries. A 4 year is in hospital with non life threatening injuries. 

Brit Reid has already served time in jail for a road rage incident where he pulled a gun on someone plus a separate time when he was drunk and smashed into a vehicle.

Reid told cops he'd had 2 or 3 drinks and was on Adderral pills. 

Edited by WHL rocks

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No one should be cheering for Cheifs on Sunday super bowl. 

Lets go Bucs

Prayers for young children in hospital and their families. 

Nah, I was pulling for the Bucs but now I’m Chiefs all the way. Thanks for telling us who we should cheer for. 

“Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

• Cheers 1