The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

34 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Harris should be good as gone based on Buono being both the coach and GM and ripping for saying the Lions did not utilize him properly and he didn't feel like he was involved in their game plans especially this year.

He is Canadian and a good back but slightly overrated imo. He has lost a step and it is getting up there in age 28 going on 29 I believe.

I would let him go and bring in a younger American stud cut from the NFL or outta college who has both speed and power and pair him with Rainey and Murray Lawrence.

I really, really don't want to see more of what Shaq Murray Lawrence can bring. He doesn't look like he has that instinct at all.

Harris is certainly underutilized, but to have a player with that skill, who takes up a Canadian roster spot, and likes being here. I would try very hard to retain him. I don't think Buono has that interest, and it seems he will unretire to take that coaching spot going into the season as well.

Does anyone know about Michael O'Connor out of UBC's status? Does he need to go through the draft, or can he sign professionally wherever he wants? He's not perfect, and he's not ready to play professionally yet, but I'd love him as an option down the road. Maybe he just really stepped it up in the games I watched when UBC was on TV, or maybe he was a little more consistent throughout the season. Someone following the team more closely can fill me in on that.

4 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I really, really don't want to see more of what Shaq Murray Lawrence can bring. He doesn't look like he has that instinct at all.

Harris is certainly underutilized, but to have a player with that skill, who takes up a Canadian roster spot, and likes being here. I would try very hard to retain him. I don't think Buono has that interest, and it seems he will unretire to take that coaching spot going into the season as well.

Does anyone know about Michael O'Connor out of UBC's status? Does he need to go through the draft, or can he sign professionally wherever he wants? He's not perfect, and he's not ready to play professionally yet, but I'd love him as an option down the road. Maybe he just really stepped it up in the games I watched when UBC was on TV, or maybe he was a little more consistent throughout the season. Someone following the team more closely can fill me in on that.

Murray-Lawrence would be the third string change of pace guy only when needed and help to mainly return kickoffs. Rainey would return kickoffs less and do primarily punts so he can be that change of pace and he gets used more on offense as the top backup since he will be comfortable with the team now.

The American RB would have good weight and size so he can block and catch passes out of the backfield plus run the ball with enough power and decent speed. Probably need a back who is between 200-220 pounds ideally with speed in the 4.48 range and runs with power between the tackles but has enough speed to hit some big gains on the outside.

Someone basically like Montreal's Tyrell Sutton or CJ Gable are ideal backs for BC to try to copy and find. They can block, run , and catch.

Harris was a very good catcher. A good runner and an ok blocker most times but like I said he has lost a step and his YPC average the most important stat for a rb for his career is very poor save for one year where he averaged almost 6 yards a carry which is where he should be each year.

Yeah he is Canadian but if he was American and it sounds like he wants a ton of money because he is Canadian and will be a 29 year old RB next year I think Lions should move on. He is a nice luxury to have but not impossible to replace and even upgrade on. Lot of talented rb's out there just have to pay attention and scout them in college all-star games nfl camps and CFL free agent camps in California, Florida, and Texas those 3 states alone produce tons of pro football talent each year.

As for O'Connor he still has 1 or 2 years eligibility I believe since he is only 19. He for sure is CFL caliber maybe even good enough in a few years to get a look see from the NFL as an un-drafted free agent.

Would love for the Lions to draft him when he is eligible in a few years. Too bad the CFL doesn't reward teams for carrying Canadian qb's since there is no ratio benefit.

That is dumb and a rule that needs to change Canadian qb's need a shot they can't all convert to a different position and become good receivers like Brad Sinopoli did.

This pretty much means Harris is gone with Wally taking over as coach.

Lions right now are in the process of extending Wally through 2017.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/willes+questions+abound+stalwart+buono+back+lions+helm/11560639/story.html

Now comes word that Buono will again take over the operation, and negotiations are taking place to extend him through the 2017 season.

" Dickenson will probably be a better coach than Benevides though you never know he could falter and Hufnagel might have to come down after a season or two just like Wally did to Benevides and Popp always does in Montreal too. "

D.D. might have been better off starting as head coach of a different team. He may have the same issue as Benny did, players not respecting the new role.

Was just going through my "On this day" thing on Facebook.  Came across a pic of myself holding the Grey Cup at the Lions locker room sale from BC Place. I ran into Wally that day and made sure to shake his hand and thank him.  I asked him for one more year.  He kind of chuckled and that was the end of it.

Looks like I finally get my wish, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

The BC Lions announced Thursday that wide receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux has agreed to terms on a contract with the team through the 2017 season. Arceneaux was set to become a free agent in February.

The five-year vet who led the Lions with 1,151 receiving yards last season on 76 receptions recently earned his first CFL All-Star nod.

“Manny is an important part of our offence and leader in our dressing room,” said GM and head coach Wally Buono. “This is a critical signing for the club heading into next season and I know our fans will be very happy to see him remain with the Lions.”

“There was only one place I wanted to play and that’s in BC for Wally and Lions fans,” said Arceneaux from his offseason home in Louisiana. “We’re going to be back in a big way in 2016 and I can’t wait to get started.”

Arceneaux sits just 87 yards from 5,000 on his career and has piled-up 2,056 receiving yards over the past two seasons, a total only surpassed by Calgary’s Eric Rogers.

Love that Manny will be back...a go to guy and I'm hopeful we'll have a better year under Wally again.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Jones named Lions’ offensive co-ordinator

http://globalnews.ca/news/2451269/jones-named-lions-offensive-co-ordinator/

I'm done. How can I be bothered to renew my season tickets when this clown is back as OC?

:picard:

This is a curious move that's for sure as the offense under his watch was pretty much last in all categories.

I can't shake the feeling that this move has little to do with Jones' offensive genious but rather more to do with Wally either having a hard time finding a new OC at this time of the year or Wally just trying to save a few bucks for Braley in light of the failed and costly Tedford experiment. 

Either way, this is not the news I was hoping for.

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

This is a curious move that's for sure as the offense under his watch was pretty much last in all categories.

I can't shake the feeling that this move has little to do with Jones' offensive genious but rather more to do with Wally either having a hard time finding a new OC at this time of the year or Wally just trying to save a few bucks for Braley in light of the failed and costly Tedford experiment. 

Either way, this is not the news I was hoping for.

and Dorazzio is back as well.

24 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

and Dorazzio is back as well.

Wow, hadn't heard that.

Hopefully he can fix that O-line. He'll have lots of girth to work with.

So Wally has just reunited the same crew that were turfed or demoted (except for Washington) by Tedford. Will make for an interesting camp.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy CDCers. One teensy tiny little advertisement from the doctor:

I just thought I'd let everyone know I'm now working for the BC Lions front office so if anyone in this thread is interested in any of our ticket packages or knows someone who might be please feel free to fire me a PM. We have full season (which will feature a very Whitecaps-esque membership program this year), 10 Flex (10 tickets you can use to any game however you see fit), or a 3-Game pack.

Advertising over, this is shaping up to be quite an interesting season as the Lions seem to keep getting better by the teams around them getting worse. You can bet I'll be a lot more active in this thread than I have been in previous years.

3 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I just thought I'd let everyone know I'm now working for the BC Lions front office so if anyone in this thread is interested in any of our ticket packages or knows someone who might be please feel free to fire me a PM. We have full season (which will feature a very Whitecaps-esque membership program this year), 10 Flex (10 tickets you can use to any game however you see fit), or a 3-Game pack.

Advertising over, this is shaping up to be quite an interesting season as the Lions seem to keep getting better by the teams around them getting worse. You can bet I'll be a lot more active in this thread than I have been in previous years.

Sweet. Congrats on the job.

Ticket packages are great, but what always drives me away are the ticket prices. There are cheaper options when it comes to entertainment, and when the team isn't making it worth the while like over the last few years, it's hard to commit, or drop money on.

Also, the team needs to make sure Shaq Murray Lawrence is not our starting RB to begin the season. Else I don't know that I will even be able to watch the team on TV, lol.

10 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Has the CFL ever discussed not spreading their games out over the bottom end/start of the week? Thursdays thru Mondays is too much of a spread for a small league. Would much prefer a NFL like schedule with maybe the feature matchup on Friday night and then all the other games on Saturdays?

Reason being that it would give fans something to get excited about knowing that Saturday is CFL day or something as such. Right now it's all over the place. I never know what day the Lions play on anymore and it was hard to keep track during the season too. My wife and I are former season ticket holders but stopped going because the schedule was too inconsistent; especially during the summer.

Edited by RonMexico

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Has the CFL ever discussed not spreading their games out over the bottom end/start of the week? Thursdays thru Mondays is too much of a spread for a small league. Would much prefer a NFL like schedule with maybe the feature matchup on Friday night and then all the other games on Saturdays?

Reason being that it would give fans something to get excited about knowing that Saturday is CFL day or something as such. Right now it's all over the place. I never know what day the Lions play on anymore and it was hard to keep track during the season too. My wife and I are former season ticket holders but stopped going because the schedule was too inconsistent; especially during the summer.

I'd argue the CFL should just stop trying to compete with the NFL once the reg season starts and avoid Sunday games where possible.

Edited by King Heffy

16 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Sweet. Congrats on the job.

Ticket packages are great, but what always drives me away are the ticket prices. There are cheaper options when it comes to entertainment, and when the team isn't making it worth the while like over the last few years, it's hard to commit, or drop money on.

Also, the team needs to make sure Shaq Murray Lawrence is not our starting RB to begin the season. Else I don't know that I will even be able to watch the team on TV, lol.

You're not wrong there. Although last season wasn't quite as much as a disaster as it was shaping up to be. If JJ can have a solid sophomore season and the boys stay healthy they'll do pretty well. As for RB I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Andrew to take one more kick at the can with the Lions. Whether he lands here or back home in the Peg he's going to have a great season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 5:34 PM, the last outlaw said:

Lions announce they won't offer a contract to Harris. No surprise. They need to clean house badly. Wally is running this team and organization into ground.

Harris will probably go home and sign with Winnipeg. Hope he comes back to kick the Lions' ass. Frack Wally.

Wally offered him a contract during the season that would have made him the highest paid running back going forward.  He didn't accept it. Good riddance as far as I see it.  Harris lost interest in being a Lion a while back.  We don't need that attitude going forward.

On 1/26/2016 at 6:17 PM, King Heffy said:

I'd argue the CFL should just stop trying to compete with the NFL once the reg season starts and avoid Sunday games where possible.

I've been saying this for years.

They have a good idea with Friday Night Football. They should play all the other games on Saturday, including one in the evening, up until the start of the NHL season.