The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I agree a 100%.  You are not being fussy at all.  The dirty bits annoy me and the singer is the most poorly acted character on the show so far fwiw.

regading the way the dirty bits sound is also a flaw in the show as as you say they sound like an over produced mall punk band.  Tone alone it's not convincing.

as to your second paragraph, again, good point.  I actually spent the years between 16 and about 23 going to a lot of dyi type shows in basements, warehouses etc in front of very small crowds, often just the same group of friends and associates friends of the bands :)

Not once did I see anyone who resembled a suit.  Of course most of the bands were essentially terrible but the style of some could be heard years after in a watered down form in the radio.  By the late nineties the whole image and sound had changed to resemble what was going on in dumps years prior.  

The only bands/members that made it anywhere that I saw are the singer and drummer in black mountain who were in various other bands I watched before black mountain. And members of, I'm assuming the currently defunct, hot hot heat.

Edit

and thanks for the reply.  I was think that it was possible we were close in our observations.

Richard Hell reviewed the show himself, after being told that the Dirty Bits guy was sorta molded after him - and he did not like it, he said something about the audience atmosphere being totally different, too

Also, I agree that the Dirty Bits actor is (easily) the worst in the show - I think that's because it's Mick Jagger's son, and Jagger is the executive producer. Talk about nepotism...

Anyway, whining aside I still like the show and will definitely keep watching. The lead writer/creator of the show, Terrence Winter, just quit over "creative differences" though - so who knows what next season will have. But HBO already signed it for a second season, so I'm assuming it's still coming back

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

Richard Hell reviewed the show himself, after being told that the Dirty Bits guy was sorta molded after him - and he did not like it, he said something about the audience atmosphere being totally different, too

Also, I agree that the Dirty Bits actor is (easily) the worst in the show - I think that's because it's Mick Jagger's son, and Jagger is the executive producer. Talk about nepotism...

Anyway, whining aside I still like the show and will definitely keep watching. The lead writer/creator of the show, Terrence Winter, just quit over "creative differences" though - so who knows what next season will have. But HBO already signed it for a second season, so I'm assuming it's still coming back

Let's hope so.  I'm certainly getting involved in it now.  Admittedly the subject material is easy for me to like.:)

10 hours ago, riffraff said:

Thanks for the info.  No disrespect intended but I'm fairly familiar with that era and its contributors.

the stooges, Bowie, Lou reed/velvet underground, Ramones are bands I've listened a lot to.

brian eno, Bowie, iggy and Lou reed have all collaborated at times on certain projects back then.

to be honest I thought the closing scene with the band playing was maybe the New York dolls as the character, rich, had mentioned them in the show.  The music was definitely the punk sound of the era but the song being played was "white heat", composed by Lou reed.  The singer had makeup on, and was not playing guitar, and as I said the rendition was more punk sounding than the velvet underground recording.  As well Lou reed is known as a guitarist and vocalist.

another character, Andy, had mentioned earlier that she was doing some work with Lou reed later on that day.

perhaps it was just a made for tv modification of Lou reed and the song.

No disrespect received. I simply took a flier and made an assumption based on your comment. I now figure that had I watched any of the episodes you and Glass have then I'd have been better equipped to respond. Didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know the era, but I suppose I inferred it slightly.

I should watch the show before further comments if for no other reason than conversational context.

One thing's for sure, I alwyas thought Lou/Velvet were the 'softest' of the early punk wave. Having started out in '65 though they were really just breaking the ice anyways. I always figured that glam rock and makeup didn't really take hold until Velvet broke up, but I was never there. 

Made for TV? When do producers ever ad lib for dramatic effect :lol: ?

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

No disrespect received. I simply took a flier and made an assumption based on your comment. I now figure that had I watched any of the episodes you and Glass have then I'd have been better equipped to respond. Didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know the era, but I suppose I inferred it slightly.

I should watch the show before further comments if for no other reason than conversational context.

One thing's for sure, I alwyas thought Lou/Velvet were the 'softest' of the early punk wave. Having started out in '65 though they were really just breaking the ice anyways. I always figured that glam rock and makeup didn't really take hold until Velvet broke up, but I was never there. 

Made for TV? When do producers ever ad lib for dramatic effect :lol: ?

Naw I didn't sense any inference on your part.  The questions I was raising re the Lou reed portrayal could easily be taken as ones stemming from a complete lack of knowledge. And any info relating to music I take gladly.  You would probably enjoy the show.  It's positives faaaaar outweigh the few and minor negatives.  

• Upvote 1

Halfway through Midnight Special, which is Jeff Nichols' newest movie since Take Shelter, I believe.

The film stars Michael Shannon and Joel Edgerton and also features Kirsten Dunst. Its not as good as Take Shelter and may be a little hokey at times but I quite enjoyed it thus far. I would have prefered that they completely did away with the whole FBI/NSA plotline and just stuck to the conflict between Shannon and the cult. A kid is intercepting nuclear satellite intel and so the NSA decides to assign a 20something year old to the case and nobody else for the first week or so. Okay then... 

Still, I always find deep south Church/cults to give me the heebie-jeebies; at times it has a 'Season 1 of True Detective' vibe.

9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Halfway through Midnight Special, which is Jeff Nichols' newest movie since Take Shelter, I believe.

The film stars Michael Shannon and Joel Edgerton and also features Kirsten Dunst. Its not as good as Take Shelter and may be a little hokey at times but I quite enjoyed it thus far. I would have prefered that they completely did away with the whole FBI/NSA plotline and just stuck to the conflict between Shannon and the cult. A kid is intercepting nuclear satellite intel and so the NSA decides to assign a 20something year old to the case and nobody else for the first week or so. Okay then... 

Still, I always find deep south Church/cults to give me the heebie-jeebies; at times it has a 'Season 1 of True Detective' vibe.

On 4/26/2016 at 4:56 PM, GLASSJAW said:

midnight special: 6/10

first slip up from jeff nichols (take shelter, mud). perfectly mediocre movie.

it's predictable. and being predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing if the execution is unique or stylish or clever or something. but i wasnt sold on anything in this movie except michael shannon and the other adult actors.

Watched this about a week ago or so. I'd give it a 7/10.

9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Have you seen Mud yet? That was Nichols' last movie before Midnight Special.

Been going through Breaking Bad, again. 

First episode in season 3 when Walt is in the gymnasium listening to the students discuss their feelings, followed by his subsequent rant about 737s/747s airline collisions. So good.

• Upvote 1

The Departed - 7/10. Super intriguing premise - The mob has a mole inside law enforcement, law enforcement has a mole inside the mob, it's then a race to find out who the other mole is. But unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations, especially the ending. 

21 - 6/10. Interesting premise again. Smart MIT student needs money to get into Harvard Med School and starts counting cards. but again fell flat and didn't live up to expectations. 

Memento - 10/10. Keeping with the theme of interesting premises - Man is incapable of having short term memories and has tattoos all over his body reminding him of what has happened. It is through these tattoos the plot unravels. I really enjoyed how good a job the movie did of keeping the audience in the dark until the very end; never quite seen a movie unravel backwards quite like this. 

Edited by Bure1994Mclean

Captain America Civil War

Loved it. Right now, I cannot think of a single thing that I hated about this movie. It was badass and there is so much asskicking in this film, every fight sequence was amazing. That airport scene from the trailer had me smiling the whole time. And there was a fight that had me on the edge of my seat it was terrific.

I was worried it would be an Avengers movie rather than a Captain America movie. For me, even with all the other characters it was still Captain America focused which was awesome.

Every character was great, and had their own stand out moment. The new superheros, Black Panther and Spiderman, were introduced perfectly. Black Panther really stood out for me, he was a significant character without overshadowing the others.

The movie did a great job explaining why everyone takes the side for or against the government plan, it makes sense why each character chose to be on the side that they are on.

The Jungle Book

My wife and mom dragged me to this, as it is a film right up their alley.

Not only did I hate it, but they despised it. What a colossal waste of time. Jealous that my wife slept for about 10 minutes of it.

10 cloverfield lane: 6.5/10

like the first, i wouldn't call it bad - but idk, not great either. kinda full retard towards the end, but whatever. it reminds me of a mainstream/mega budget version of like 4 different types of horror movie all rolled into one

Captain America: Civil War - 9.5/10. So many different characters and the pacing of their introductions was excellent. The movie had a really strong comedic side to it, brought by Spiderman who was probably the funniest, Antman, and the chemistry between Bucky and Falcon. Two particular scenes of the movie stick out to me, one involving Antman, - those of you who watch it will know which, and a twist involving Iron Man and Bucky. Overall, a very enjoyable movie which I felt was just as good as the Winter Soilder which I feel is probably the strongest of the Marvel movies.   

Edited by Bure1994Mclean
  • Upvote 1