The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bobrovsky offered $10,000,000 per year by SKA

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130623/669811773.html

MOSCOW, June 23 (R-Sport) - Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky has held talks with KHL president Alexander Medvedev about a move to Russia’s SKA St. Petersburg, Medvedev said Sunday.

Bobrovsky’s dominant season for the Columbus Blue Jackets made him the first Russian to win the NHL's top goaltending honor. Columbus and SKA have both made offers to Bobrovsky, who would become the KHL’s biggest-ever signing were he to return to Russia.

“I’ve met Sergei and his agent. We held negotiations, an offer was made,” said Medvedev, who is also a director of SKA. “Now the player has to make his decision. The choice is his.”

Medvedev suggested a move to SKA could help ensure Bobrovsky of being Russia’s starting goaltender at next year’s Olympics in Sochi, the first time the Winter Games have been held in his home country.

“What could be better than playing front of the national team’s training staff in an Olympic year?” Medvedev said, and denied a move out of the world’s biggest league would be a bad move for Bobrovsky.

“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” he said. “I absolutely do not agree with those who think it would be a step backwards.”

SKA has reportedly offered $10 million a year to Bobrovsky, and his pay could be exempted from the KHL salary cap under league rules, which allow certain major signings not to be counted, at the league’s discretion.

Bobrovsky played for SKA during last season’s lockout.

Bye Bye Bobo!

Playing in the NHL is one thing, but getting a truckload of money to play at home will be hard to turn down.

I wonder if Columbus will be making a last minute pitch for Schneider now. Johansen or Jenner and Erixon would look pretty good in a Nux uni.

Oh my god... I'll be shocked if he doesnt take that deal. Also, I would love it because it would make columbus a potential trading partner for luo. Imagine if we could make a package with luo to nab one or two of those first rounders.

umm that's his home...and isn't it tax free for those guys? so its the equivalent of making 20 ml a year here?

if that's the case and its a 3-4 year deal, i don't think anyone in their right mind would ever say no.

ya its not all about money but these guys can be hurt and their career is over in an instant...he plays 2 years and his grandchildren will never have to worry about money...

kind of a no brainer...i think if i were him, and you're going home (vs a foreign country), you take it

Archived