The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

agreed that be a decent 3rd line i really think we need to purge dorsett and prust  as well they have small offense dont hit or fight enough they are small gritty guys i want a fourth line that has guys like pedan or grenier  chara size  6'4-6'9 225-260 lbs  fast mobile hit everything in sight nuclear deterrent especially if they touch sedins.

Even better if we can spread these bombs throughout the line up.  Lucic is on the first line, and Big Buff is on our first pair.  The other guys are spread around too.  I don't know much about Tryamkin other than, HE'S HUGE.  Get him out there too.  

I have a question hopefully someone who has seen a lot of shinkaruks game down in Utica can help me answer. Does he like to play with a bit of an edge, like go into corners dig the puck out and go to the net? I dont want to draw up a comparison but does he or could he play a style like Brendan Gallagher. Maybe not as pesky but a Gallagher light?

I would really like to see him given a shot here this season, hopefully a couple of the bottom 6 guys get moved and or Vrbata, allowing us to give him some decent ice time as we as Gaunce. If we are keeping 19yr olds lets bring up some guys in their early 20's who have put in a year and a half in the Ahl and made big strides in their game also.

Thanks for the input!

There seems to be a plan for Jake and McCann but nothing for Shinkaruk our leading scorer in Utica

He seems disappointed but chosing his words carefully

1. Shinakruk : "Doesn't matter what you do in junior, pro hockey is a job. We can't complain, it's what we signed up for." #Canucks

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Shinkaruk : "Maybe sometimes I think about it a little bit but it is what it is, all I can do is keep getting better as a player." #Canucks

0 retwe

Retweet

More
  3. Shinkaruk on getting by-passed for callups : "When someone goes up and it's you, sometimes it's tough to swallow."#Canucks

12 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Higgins should be traded already and give his spot to Shinky

I think they’ve been trying and can’t find any takers on Higgins.  It might actually mean in waiving him.  Prust, Higgins, and Burrows could all be gone in the offseason.  Opening up sports for Shinkaruk, Grenier, and Gaunce

In a few years (once the Sedins retire) I wouldn’t mind seeing Shinkaruk Baertschi, Lucic and Gaunce as our LW depth. 

This could potential turn into a trade request by Shink. I dont see it as being to that point yet but if grenier gets some play time here or if there is another call up and its not shink it is seemingly possible Shink could see the recent trade requests by players and ask for one.

Then it would be 2 guys wanting out being moved for each other shink for rychel.

I would hate to lose Shink and I would really like to hear someone as Benning why he isnt trying to use his top Ahl scorer to help add offense to his nhl club. Burrows, HIggins, Dorsett, Prust are all in huge droughts and we should be making room in some capacity to give Shink a shot to see what he can do. You cant tell me that trading a UFA if Vrbata or Prust or a non existant Higgins is going to hurt us if we slotted Shink into a 3rd line role. 

Allows Vrbata to put up some pts with twins until he is moved then we can either put Burrows their or give Virtanen a vote of confidence and give him a half dozen games with the twins.

I am confused on the handling of Shinkaruk he has had a great year in Utica along with Gaunce, hopefully he can stay positive but those words he said you can see he is getting a bit frustrated. I hope he gets a call up and we moved vets out and play a younger team that works hard with lines like this when healthy.

Lets hope we are letting him gain confidence and rounding out his game for when we call him up its more than likely for him to stay up.

If he's getting frustrated over not getting called up then maybe he should work on his defensive game, that is the reason he is in the AHL. You can't be a defensive liability as a rookie, otherwise you will be sitting in the press box, this is why Nylander is still in the AHL.

Benning specifically said when Shinkaruk is called up they expect him to play not sit in the pressbox watching.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think they’ve been trying and can’t find any takers on Higgins.  It might actually mean in waiving him.  Prust, Higgins, and Burrows could all be gone in the offseason.  Opening up sports for Shinkaruk, Grenier, and Gaunce

In a few years (once the Sedins retire) I wouldn’t mind seeing Shinkaruk Baertschi, Lucic and Gaunce as our LW depth. 

If Lecavalier can get traded 50% retained for a cap hit of 2.3m I am sure higgins can get moved, granted Vinny is retiring apparently this off season and higgins has a year after.

We could retain money on higgins too. I think Higgins replacement would be Gaunce or kenins in a permanent role. Shink would likely replace Vrbata once he is and should be moved.

Was Vey a standout defensively in Utica this year? Its is only a question, We likely wont have him around much longer, but the coaches pet is getting 3rd line min and pp time even late in a game after making a brutal play on the pp to allow carolina to score sh.

Every player makes mistakes even young ones, Virtanen and McCann certainly have, and Shinkaruk has put in time in the Ahl and sees them and vey on the team over him. I can see why how he could easily get frustrated but that hopefully motivates him to play even better so when he gets the call up Benning is forced to create a spot to KEEP him on the canucks roster

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Was Vey a standout defensively in Utica this year? Its is only a question, We likely wont have him around much longer, but the coaches pet is getting 3rd line min and pp time even late in a game after making a brutal play on the pp to allow carolina to score sh.

Every player makes mistakes even young ones, Virtanen and McCann certainly have, and Shinkaruk has put in time in the Ahl and sees them and vey on the team over him. I can see why how he could easily get frustrated but that hopefully motivates him to play even better so when he gets the call up Benning is forced to create a spot to KEEP him on the canucks roster

when you get called up and get 3-4 mins playing time its hard to show anything..the time Shink was up this year he hardly saw the ice

50 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

There seems to be a plan for Jake and McCann but nothing for Shinkaruk our leading scorer in Utica

He seems disappointed but chosing his words carefully

15 minutes ago, Yotes said:

This could potential turn into a trade request by Shink. I dont see it as being to that point yet but if grenier gets some play time here or if there is another call up and its not shink it is seemingly possible Shink could see the recent trade requests by players and ask for one.

More handwringing in the soap opera that is Canuckland.

Please.  He's into his second year in the minors after coming off major surgery.  There will be plenty of opportunity, and management keeps players informed of where they're at and what they need to do.  He's making good progress, leave it at that and let things sort out.

if hansen is out, prime chance to give Shink the nod as hansen is a top 9 forward. if They dont wanna move vrbata off bo's line they could hypothetically give shink top line minutes with the twins.

has he played rw before im sure most guys should be able to play both sides i would hope

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

More handwringing in the soap opera that is Canuckland.

Please.  He's into his second year in the minors after coming off major surgery.  There will be plenty of opportunity, and management keeps players informed of where they're at and what they need to do.  He's making good progress, leave it at that and let things sort out.

rychel and drouin have both made request, so while I agree with you, he could see others around the league doing it and if he gets passed over again its possible. I dont think hunter is that type of player but he was a former 1st round pick like gaunce.

They are getting passed over by an over aged 2nd rounder in grenier, kenins an undrafted guy and vey who is the coaches love child.

He should be a bit annoyed but lets hope he turns it into more motivation to prove that he deserves the next call up

48 minutes ago, RyIe said:

Wow. Hope this guy stays positive. I see him and Virtanen switching spots next season. 

I don't think most players are as sensitive as your average CDC'er is. He'll be fine. It's the job.

There are literally so many reasons to not bring him up from cap/roster spots, the requirement to play him in a top 9 if not 6 role, his still developing defensive game, keep him away from the tire fire that is the 15/16 Canucks, keep him in in Utica playing big minutes on a more competitive/succeeding team, etc, etc...

As Hutton stated, he'll have plenty of opportunity if not after the deadline at least next year and the year following. He's progressing nicely, let's just stay on track.

57 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Then it would be 2 guys wanting out being moved for each other shink for rychel.

I would hate to lose Shink and I would really like to hear someone as Benning why he isnt trying to use his top Ahl scorer to help add offense to his nhl club. Burrows, HIggins, Dorsett, Prust are all in huge droughts and we should be making room in some capacity to give Shink a shot to see what he can do. You cant tell me that trading a UFA if Vrbata or Prust or a non existant Higgins is going to hurt us if we slotted Shink into a 3rd line role. 

Allows Vrbata to put up some pts with twins until he is moved then we can either put Burrows their or give Virtanen a vote of confidence and give him a half dozen games with the twins.

I am confused on the handling of Shinkaruk he has had a great year in Utica along with Gaunce, hopefully he can stay positive but those words he said you can see he is getting a bit frustrated. I hope he gets a call up and we moved vets out and play a younger team that works hard with lines like this when healthy.

Lets hope we are letting him gain confidence and rounding out his game for when we call him up its more than likely for him to stay up.

seriously?  you must be great at parties.

Lol everyone overreacting, what else is he supposed to say? "Yeah I don't mind not getting called up"

Let him marinade playing 18-20 mins a night in key situations rather than 8mins of sheltered ice time per night. Next year him and Virt will swap  spots as so there is nothing to worry about.

Archived