The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

curious as to if anyone knows what Coach Green has said about the sniper? 

I have heard JB comments [I don't think JB has any affection for him playing on big club just trade bait for next draft?]

why has he not been given a really good shot at the call up an given a real chance? [ I am not talking injuries here ok]

not quite his time yet.  I'm of the opinion he still has a lot to learn.  Just in the way of consistently competing and not getting away with things he could in junior to score his goals.

3 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

not quite his time yet.  I'm of the opinion he still has a lot to learn.  Just in the way of consistently competing and not getting away with things he could in junior to score his goals.

If JB can turn Shink into a 2nd rounder at the coming draft that would be AWESOME!!!!!  Do it!!!! 

Just now, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

a second rounder? cmon Alf.. Shink was a first round pick and he has lots of potential

Baer was picked ten spots higher, has a ton of potential, and we paid a second for him.  Then many thought we got ripped off, and wish we had the second back.  Why would Hunter be worth any more than Baer was? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Baer was picked ten spots higher, has a ton of potential, and we paid a second for him.  Then many thought we got ripped off, and wish we had the second back.  Why would Hunter be worth any more than Baer was? 

IMO the second rd pick we traded for Baer was an overpayment by the fact that Baer was probably not going to resign with the Flames. He was handled very poorly over there.

Hunter is progressing very well and can be on the team next year.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

2 year age difference for one.  Baertschi's stats were trending downwards and was unhappy with Calgary,  Shink's stats are trending upwards and he seems to be having a good time in Utica. We also lack skilled forwards, Shink is like our only AHL prospect with any offensive upside

So do you think he's worth more than a second?  Could we get into the first round for him? 

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It's not that he's worth more or less, it just doesn't make sense.  Why would we trade him?  We would need to draft the same type of player with that pick anyways...like I said we have no skilled wingers in the AHL

I get it now.  This Alien's thinking is being adversely affected by too much chocolate in the bloodstream.  We Alfs have more in commom with dogs than just a soft and furry coat.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:
39 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

IMO the second rd pick we traded for Baer was an overpayment by the fact that Baer was probably not going to resign with the Flames. He was handled very poorly over there.

Hunter is progressing very well and can be on the team next year.

I heard that Benning outbid the other GM's, and the majority of them offered third-round picks. So, to me that say he believes a lot in the guy. He was willing to overpay for two reasons I can clearly see. One, it locks the situation in. That's one less thing to think about, so mental freedom was worth more than a good price. Two, it tells Sven he's appreciated by management. That's a big deal to a kid like this, a kid who clearly suffered when Burke demeaned his abilities and character in the media. Confidence from your network is essential to some people's success. He seems like one of those people. 

I see it as an intelligent move by a psychologically astute scout. Let me put it this way - Benning would never draft Kyle Wellwood. 

As to Shink, I agree. He's a recovering young man off major surgery still, in my view, since he's way behind on physical development. Too skinny to handle NHL battles now, but that's not a reason to sell him off for a lower pick. That's irrational. 

Have you noticed how Benning seems to be drafting doubles for each role? Baer - Shink. We already had Cassels - Gaunce. Boeser - Jensen. McCann - Horvat. It's great to see a few guys delineate and change styles, too. Gaunce is becoming more of a power forward on the LW. McCann looks like a much more offensive player than Horvat, though I'm still not sure he's first line material. I'm looking forward to the (hopeful) overload of talent we'll have in half a decade. If Gaunce, Cassels, Shink, Baer, Horvat, McCann, Boeser, Pedan, Trymakin, Neill, Sautner, and Brisebois all make it, we'll be able to move packages for better talent, or more picks, and that sounds entertaining. 

tl;dr - Benning had good reasons to overpay for Baer. Shink needs time. I hope Benning is a good scout.

4 hours ago, NameFaker said:

I heard that Benning outbid the other GM's, and the majority of them offered third-round picks. So, to me that say he believes a lot in the guy. He was willing to overpay for two reasons I can clearly see. One, it locks the situation in. That's one less thing to think about, so mental freedom was worth more than a good price. Two, it tells Sven he's appreciated by management. That's a big deal to a kid like this, a kid who clearly suffered when Burke demeaned his abilities and character in the media. Confidence from your network is essential to some people's success. He seems like one of those people. 

I see it as an intelligent move by a psychologically astute scout. Let me put it this way - Benning would never draft Kyle Wellwood. 

As to Shink, I agree. He's a recovering young man off major surgery still, in my view, since he's way behind on physical development. Too skinny to handle NHL battles now, but that's not a reason to sell him off for a lower pick. That's irrational. 

Have you noticed how Benning seems to be drafting doubles for each role? Baer - Shink. We already had Cassels - Gaunce. Boeser - Jensen. McCann - Horvat. It's great to see a few guys delineate and change styles, too. Gaunce is becoming more of a power forward on the LW. McCann looks like a much more offensive player than Horvat, though I'm still not sure he's first line material. I'm looking forward to the (hopeful) overload of talent we'll have in half a decade. If Gaunce, Cassels, Shink, Baer, Horvat, McCann, Boeser, Pedan, Trymakin, Neill, Sautner, and Brisebois all make it, we'll be able to move packages for better talent, or more picks, and that sounds entertaining. 

tl;dr - Benning had good reasons to overpay for Baer. Shink needs time. I hope Benning is a good scout.

I've always preferred teams that found success through drafting, rather than simply buying in free agency. So I'm pretty happy we're starting to head in that direction, after years of getting rid of our picks.

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shinkaruk will be better than Baer. His compete level is ridiculous. As a Devil's fan I wanted him at 9, so I was ecstatic when the Canucks got him. He was ranked 6th among NA skaters.

It's clear he has the major talent. Shooting, passing puck control, high IQ etc. He just needs to hit the gym on a major scale. Call up Brendan Gaunce and Jordan Subban. They'll show you how to hit the weightroom. If Shinkaruk could hit 190, (that's about 10 pounds I believe, which is significant. Don't let anyone tell you that putting on ten pounds of muscle while playing over the season, is an easy feat.) Still, if he could get stronger, and maintain the skills that he has already showed, he could be dangerous. If not, I could see him still doing a Gustav Nyquist like style, where he refines his skills to the absolute max in the AHL, and then explodes onto the NHL scene with massive offensive upside. 

8 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Shinkaruk will be better than Baer. His compete level is ridiculous. As a Devil's fan I wanted him at 9, so I was ecstatic when the Canucks got him. He was ranked 6th among NA skaters.

I agree.  He has the skill level of Baer but his passion for the game is over the top.  That is a winner combo!

He had a huge setback with the surgery and is behind in his development, but another offseason will take care of that.

He will be an exciting player to watch in the NHL.

Archived