The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

If Cassels shows he's ready, he'll get a spot. There's no need to rush him though. He's gonna get at least a full season in Utica, maybe two.

I see Vey being moved to wing once another center can take his spot. He's better suited there anyways.

Hank

Sutter

Horvat

Cassels

McCann can take Horvat's spot on the third line in a few years, and then Sutter can be shipped out or moved to the wing.

Hank

Horvat Sutter

McCann

Cassels

I see Horvat and Cassels as the future one and two. If McCann can become a Three I will be very happy. (I don't see him with enough motor to play in the NHL). We should still have Sutter at that time, so he can play up and down the lineup, wherever needed.

Why was Gaunce moved to the wing? Horrible in the dot?

It actually started in junior when he was traded to that stacked Otters team that featured McDavid, Strome, and Brown. There was no room for him to play in the middle so he was moved to wing.

He actually played better there as a powerforward winger. Less responsibility to backcheck, and more opportunity to dominate along the boards. It just suits his style alot better.

Based on our depth at center now, I don't see him moving back to center.

Due to the nature of our rebuild I'm fine with letting players like Cassels and McCann develop slowly and not rushing them..maybe even Shink.

I think those that have been in the AHL longer like Grenier and Guance need the longer looks..and Virt is pretty much a blue chip type like Horvat and may make the team outright.

It actually started in junior when he was traded to that stacked Otters team that featured McDavid, Strome, and Brown. There was no room for him to play in the middle so he was moved to wing.

He actually played better there as a powerforward winger. Less responsibility to backcheck, and more opportunity to dominate along the boards. It just suits his style alot better.

he was moved to the wing to force him to develop more of a sense of urgency and hustle, to skate hard instead of efficiently and to learn how to compete along the boards and forecheck.

up to that point he relied on positioning and smarts almost entirely to succeed. the move to wing was designed to round out his game.

he was moved to the wing to force him to develop more of a sense of urgency and hustle, to skate hard instead of efficiently and to learn how to compete along the boards and forecheck.

up to that point he relied on positioning and smarts almost entirely to succeed. the move to wing was designed to round out his game.

He was moved to wing because Erie had better centers than him down the middle. They tried him at center and at wing, and he was a better winger.

If Cassels shows he's ready, he'll get a spot. There's no need to rush him though. He's gonna get at least a full season in Utica, maybe two.

I see Vey being moved to wing once another center can take his spot. He's better suited there anyways.

Hank

Sutter

Horvat

Cassels

McCann can take Horvat's spot on the third line in a few years, and then Sutter can be shipped out or moved to the wing.

Hank

Horvat Sutter

McCann

Cassels

Whether or not Vey is moved to wing, he's only signed until the end of the next season. If Cassels makes an impact in camp and/or in case of injury call up, we could just let Vey walk and there's your roster spot. Hopefully this isn't the case, and Vey becomes a more effective hockey player. It's a good problem to have.

While he was moved in Erie, maybe he was only at center in Belleville because they didn't have a better option for him? Certainly once he went to the AHL, Green talked specifically about how they wanted him to transition to wing as well in order to round out his game and have him work on things more suited to wing. It wasn't strictly and enforced room because there wasn't room for him on a junior team he was traded to (although the Canucks might have liked the results in part to make the decision to keep him there).

With players like Cassels at center in our future though, he'll likely not be needed full time at center - even if he does play there for stretches during cover or something similar.

Agreed 100%

He was moved to wing because Erie had better centers than him down the middle. They tried him at center and at wing, and he was a better winger.

While he was moved in Erie, maybe he was only at center in Belleville because they didn't have a better option for him? Certainly once he went to the AHL, Green talked specifically about how they wanted him to transition to wing as well in order to round out his game and have him work on things more suited to wing. It wasn't strictly and enforced room because there wasn't room for him on a junior team he was traded to (although the Canucks might have liked the results in part to make the decision to keep him there).

With players like Cassels at center in our future though, he'll likely not be needed full time at center - even if he does play there for stretches during cover or something similar.

He played wing for Belleville too. He was on a line centered by Tyler Graovac towards the end of the season and into the playoffs in the 12-13 season.

He played wing for Belleville too. He was on a line centered by Tyler Graovac towards the end of the season and into the playoffs in the 12-13 season.

This is also true, although he did spend the majority of his time in Belleville as a center. It's not just because he was traded to Erie that he became a wing though.

One thing I really like about Cole this year is he is primed to do well, and develop. He's such a good fit for the comets, and I expect him to have Brendan Gaunce like numbers this year and impress again. I could see him cracking the top 6 in Utica by the end of the season. Also with our assumed roster of

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Burrows

Kenins Vey Hansen

(Prust, Dorsett)

Cole could easily see some time on the 4th line this year when injuries start up. Both Prust and Dorsett can play center, giving us 6 centers on the roster, including potential healthy scratches. This is a tough sport, and a tough league, and as well all know, at some point in the season, this team is going to be riddled with injuries. I see either Gaunce, or Cassels getting 4c minutes this year to for a couple games to help get us through that time. It would also be good to have a guy like Prust or Dorsett to help Cassels or Gaunce during that call up

(this is also just the roster that I think we will have, of course it's not for sure.)

He was moved to the wing in Bellville when they acquired Tyler Graovac for their run in 2013. Had nothing to do with Erie initially.

One thing I really like about Cole this year is he is primed to do well, and develop. He's such a good fit for the comets, and I expect him to have Brendan Gaunce like numbers this year and impress again. I could see him cracking the top 6 in Utica by the end of the season. Also with our assumed roster of

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Burrows

Kenins Vey Hansen

(Prust, Dorsett)

Cole could easily see some time on the 4th line this year when injuries start up. Both Prust and Dorsett can play center, giving us 6 centers on the roster, including potential healthy scratches. This is a tough sport, and a tough league, and as well all know, at some point in the season, this team is going to be riddled with injuries. I see either Gaunce, or Cassels getting 4c minutes this year to for a couple games to help get us through that time. It would also be good to have a guy like Prust or Dorsett to help Cassels or Gaunce during that call up

(this is also just the roster that I think we will have, of course it's not for sure.)

Once Cassels comes up, he won't be going back. You don't have to be "Pronman" to see how good this kid is.

• 3 weeks later...

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Burrows

Kenins Vey Hansen

(Prust, Dorsett)

there is no way we have 2 high money vets scratched. Also, Virt would REALLY have to earn first line minutes, as much as i would like to see it, i just doubt it. That being said I love the look of that lineup overall.

there is no way we have 2 high money vets scratched. Also, Virt would REALLY have to earn first line minutes, as much as i would like to see it, i just doubt it. That being said I love the look of that lineup overall.

How about Higgins and Burrows get scratched?

Archived