The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

I think were going to see a 1-2-3 punch of: Horvat, Sutter, Cassels in the future. I think theres a good chance we could see McCann switched to wing. Unless they are protecting Cassels as a 4th line C. I'd rather have Cassels over McCann for the 3rd line role. (just me tho). Unless Sutter switches to RW at some point. Love the C depth tho :D

I think were going to see a 1-2-3 punch of: Horvat, Sutter, Cassels in the future. I think theres a good chance we could see McCann switched to wing. Unless they are protecting Cassels as a 4th line C. I'd rather have Cassels over McCann for the 3rd line role. (just me tho). Unless Sutter switches to RW at some point. Love the C depth tho :D

By the time our prospects are in their primes, Sutter will be winding down to a good veteran 3c and eventually 4c.

The team's depth at center means that they do not have to have a traditional 4-line ranking system.

Five years from now, you could have McCann as the #1, Bo as the #2, Sutter as the #3, and Cassels as the #4. The ice time for the first and second line centres won't differ, and the ice time for the third and fourth line centres won't differ either.

I would love it for Cassels to make the team straightaway. But realistically, I think he's not going to make the roster opening night and is going to be up for call ups if we have injuries. It might be good since he is coming off of a short summer and injuries anyways. Let him get accustomed to the pro style of play and call him up if he's doing well.

Here's how I see our center depth chart as it stands today:

Henrik

Sutter

Horvat

Vey

Gaunce (if he plays center)

Cassels

McCann

Cassels may well be NHL ready, but to play in the NHL he'd need Gaunce and Vey to be on the wing somewhere and essentially all 3 of them to outplay veterans like Higgins, Prust and Dorsett CONSISTENTLY.

I think it's better if Cassels plays as our number 1 center in Utica for a season first, and only gets NHL time if he really thrives. He may well just be Utica's 2nd line center, but they'll need someone with O'Reilly gone.

Here's how I see our center depth chart as it stands today:

Henrik

Sutter

Horvat

Vey

Gaunce (if he plays center)

Cassels

McCann

Cassels may well be NHL ready, but to play in the NHL he'd need Gaunce and Vey to be on the wing somewhere and essentially all 3 of them to outplay veterans like Higgins, Prust and Dorsett CONSISTENTLY.

I think it's better if Cassels plays as our number 1 center in Utica for a season first, and only gets NHL time if he really thrives. He may well just be Utica's 2nd line center, but they'll need someone with O'Reilly gone.

It's going to be tough for Cassels to crack the opening night lineup but Gaunce has been on the wing all year and is not in the picture for 4C and Vey can play the wing...so if Cassels can do what Bo did in the circle and play good D., I think he is a mid season call up that sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting Fred! Good read. +1!

I've linked it below for those who don't want to click through to TNH/save some time (definitely not a dig at Fred) :)

Kelowna’s Leon Draisaitl was the Memorial Cup MVP, but in two games (plus a minute and a half of overtime), the Edmonton Oilers prospect didn’t have a single point against the Oshawa Generals, who raised the major junior trophy thanks to a 2-1 overtime win over the Rockets. Instant hero Anthony Cirelli, a 2015 draft prospect, scored both goals in the final, but Cole Cassels was the embodiment of a Generals squad that grinded, smothered and physically punished teams all year long.

Cassels, taken 85th overall by Vancouver in 2013, helped suffocate Connor McDavid in the OHL final, holding the Erie Otters phenom to one point in the first two games of Oshawa’s five-game series triumph. Oh, and Cassels wasn’t on the ice for that power play assist.

A premier two-way center who also packs a physical wallop, Cassels was a revelation for the Generals.

“He’s the guy that makes our team go,” said coach D.J. Smith. “Offensively, defensively, penalty kill, power play; he’s the first guy on the ice for every situation and he’s the last guy on at the end of the game. He’s the heartbeat of this team.”

The son of former NHLer Andrew Cassels, Cole was a rink rat in Vancouver thanks to his dad’s days as a Canuck. The youngster would also visit Columbus when Andrew played for the Blue Jackets and Cole would cut down right-handed sticks used by players such as Ray Whitney for himself. In his early teens, Cole moved to Ohio, where he became an elite player in a mid-Ohio hockey market still in the growing stages.
“My buddies in school were football players and lacrosse was big,” Cole said. “I was really the only hockey player. Hockey players were a different breed. We were close in the AAA program and I keep in touch with all of them.”
Far from an instant success in Oshawa, Cassels came in as a rookie on a rebuilding team deep with emerging talent in 2011-12. Boone Jennerand Scott Laughton were already there and as those players got better, so did the Gens. Once they aged-out, it was Cassels’ turn as No. 1 center and by then, he was well seasoned. On top of his defensive work, Cassels also finished this year second in team scoring and tied for first in playoff points with Isles pick Michael Dal Colle.
“So many parents in our league want their kids to be superstars right away,” Smith said. “And if they don’t get the proper ice time right away, they want to be traded or they launch complaints. Cole Cassels developed the right way. And I would argue with anyone that maybe some of the guys that played all those power play minutes at 17 are nowhere near where he is today.
“He had to learn the defensive game to get ice time, he had to work to get on the second power play; he had to go through those learning experiences. And when it was his time to be the No. 1 guy, he was ready.”
Ready enough, it turns out, to deliver Oshawa its fifth Memorial Cup title and first since Eric Lindros and crew won it in 1990.
While ex-GM Mike Gillis may have made a mess of the Canucks before he was fired in 2014, his greatest gift may have been that 2013 draft. Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk were taken before Cassels.
And given the grit in which Horvat, Cassels and 2014 first-rounder Jake Virtanen play, the Canucks are going to be less fun to play against soon.
“There’s a bunch of two-way guys coming up, so that means there will be responsible hockey played in Vancouver for years to come,” Cassels said. “That’s assuring to see.”

I am very happy to see Cassels making so much progress, and willing to go through the tough trench work to become the player he is at this moment.

Best of luck Cassels!

Going to be pretty hard for Cassels to crack the Canucks lineup in the next couple of years no matter how hard he tries. Hank is number 1c for the next couple of years, Brandon{foundation}Sutter is the number 2c unless he really craps the bed, Linden{son}Vey is the heavily sheltered number 3c. Now onto Bo{the friggin ox]Horvat who Desjardins said recently that they would not give him any concrete position, something about they didn't want to rush him so i think he will start at 4th line c. As i said it's going to be awhile for Cassels or McCann to crack the big team.

If Cassels shows he's ready, he'll get a spot. There's no need to rush him though. He's gonna get at least a full season in Utica, maybe two.

I see Vey being moved to wing once another center can take his spot. He's better suited there anyways.

Hank

Sutter

Horvat

Cassels

McCann can take Horvat's spot on the third line in a few years, and then Sutter can be shipped out or moved to the wing.

Hank

Horvat Sutter

McCann

Cassels

Archived