The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

It's great that we have young players ( finally) that we can argue about, which is better suited. I see Vey as a skilled guy, who if not contributing offensively, does little else to affect the game. Cassels is able to influence the game, whether scoring points or not. IMO

Cassels has played well in a league for boys.

Have a look at Vey's AHL stats. He has already proved he can be effective in an adult pro league. He looked pretty good in the first 40 games last season, but (like a lot of rookies) ran out of gas as the season wore on. He knows how to prepare for an NHL season now and it looks like he has been working hard throughout the summer.

Let's wait and see how Cassels performs in the AHL before gifting him the 4th C on the Canucks.

Have a look at Vey's AHL stats. He has already proved he can be effective in an adult pro league. He looked pretty good in the first 40 games last season, but (like a lot of rookies) ran out of gas as the season wore on. He knows how to prepare for an NHL season now and it looks like he has been working hard throughout the summer.

Let's wait and see how Cassels performs in the AHL before gifting him the 4th C on the Canucks.

I really hope you're right, and Vey does well. I just don't see it. There have been plenty of small guys like Vey who put up big points in Jr. And in the AHL, but their offence doesn't translate to the NHL. That's my point. Vey does not impact the game, if he's not putting up points. Cassels does.

No kidding......I love CC, but he'll spend at least two years in Utica.

I really hope you're right, and Vey does well. I just don't see it. There have been plenty of small guys like Vey who put up big points in Jr. And in the AHL, but their offence doesn't translate to the NHL. That's my point. Vey does not impact the game, if he's not putting up points. Cassels does.

Linden vey is 6' and 190, hes not small, hes about right on avg.

Vey will be fine. He'll likely be a mid sized, middle 6, 40'ish point, complimentary forward in his prime. Though I seem him largely playing RW, not C.

Cassels, while very promising is not likely ready to even compete with Vey as yet. He'll need a year or two to add bulk and learning to play against bigger, meaner men. He could also use some work on his speed.

He's going to be really good but he needs some polishing IMO.

Linden vey is 6' and 190, hes not small, hes about right on avg.

He plays a lot smaller than his size indicates. I am shocked that He is 190. I thought he was a little guy, who maybe just needs to gain weight and strength. If he's that heavy, what the heck is his problem? He should be a lot stronger than he appears to be. Now I'm thinking he is even less likely to improve. Crap:(

I'm even more in Cassel's corner now.

it was his rookie season...

Vey scored 24 points...

CDC: "Bust! Too small! Trade him! No future!"

Wennberg scored 20, Paquette 19, Namestikov 16, Lazar 15, Teravainen 9...

CDC: "ZOMG! If only we had young players this good!"

There is a lot more to it than points. All of those players (minus Teravainen) are lauded for their strong 2-way games. Vey is not.

Also, Wennberg (20), Paquette (22), Namestnikov (22, and played in 43 games), Lazar (20), and Teravainen (20, and played 34 games), are all at least 2 years younger than Vey, while some did not have even close to comparable opportunities last season.

I'm not writing Vey off by any means, I still think he has the potential to be a dependable 2nd/3rd line offensive player. But that is not a good argument.

Vey is exactly what we don't need any more of. Plays a small game and needs to be protected on and off the ice. He just doesn't impress, and those points were mainly a gift as he was placed in a position to succeed early on by coaches (unlike Kassian - and i'm not saying Kassian isn't a bone head)

Not gifted enough to be top six on a good team and plays too small to be an effective bottom six player. And he's a center who has trouble winning draws. There are a ton of these guys available around the league.

Plus I just don't see the try in him (effort)

If he proves me wrong great, but I am doubtful.

The booth trade was a great trade for the first 6 weeks until potter sprained booths knee, he wasn't the same after that. Before that he was a bonafide 2RW

But yes, for what ever reason the scouts finally figured out how to draft the past 2 yrs

Horvat

Shink

Virt

McCann

Demko

Cassels

Tryamkin

Subban

All look promising to be successful to certain degrees

This is a huge change from days of picking patric white and Alexander mallet, Jensen and such

Aside from Horvat that list has proven nothing, If Mcann or Cassels end up being what we hope the brass has made up for everything,

Still first rounders are expected to produce if Virt makes it, that's expected you or I could have made that pick, (Not saying I would have)

Once you get into the second round picks though, making them pay off is what separates the real scouts from the pretenders.

Will be interesting to see how Cassels does this coming season. Fully expect him to end up in Utica, but to what degree. Hopefully he sticks at centre. From what I heard Gaunce is a Winger now. Not sure if he still takes draws. I'd like for Cassels to learn to play Centre full time though. Maybe develop into a grittier Richardson.

a strange feeling in my gut tells me that if cassels doesn't steal the canucks 4th line center job out of camp, he'll be utica's leading scorer.

the kid seems like a gamer, and the canucks are overdue for a prospect to dramatically exceed expectations.

a strange feeling in my gut tells me that if cassels doesn't steal the canucks 4th line center job out of camp, he'll be utica's leading scorer.

the kid seems like a gamer, and the canucks are overdue for a prospect to dramatically exceed expectations.

I too have high hopes for Cassels. However, he's more known for his 2-way game, rather than just scoring. And with having to rehab an injury this offseason, it may take him some time to find his game.

I don't expect much out of him at camp or to start the season. But by the time 2016 rolls around, I bet he'll be shaping up for an extended call-up.

Agreed. This guy could easily outplay Vey. Whether or not that lands him the 4C job is another matter, but his transition to the pro game is going to be fast. Sure he needs to get bigger, but he thinks the game at a high level, has skill and is feisty.

Agreed. This guy could easily outplay Vey. Whether or not that lands him the 4C job is another matter, but his transition to the pro game is going to be fast. Sure he needs to get bigger, but he thinks the game at a high level, has skill and is feisty.

I think Vey has the edge with his experience. I expect him to have a good year.

I'd currently put Gaunce ahead of Cassels as well. No knock on Cassels but we finally have some depth.

Archived