The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund Rumor] Canucks Targeting Brad Boyes

I wanted Boyes last year, posted such here, and was mad to see him signed for a mill. If that price is avail again its a no brainer!

If he could put up nearly a point a game with Tavres, he would find that even easier with the Twins.

And at $1 mill, he can make a Jensen earn versus be gifted a roster spot. It wont hurt if he's in the press box, just good depth.

Guys, Kassian is our top natural RW (Burrows is a converted LW) followed by Hansen and Weise. Adding a RW depth player who has proved he can fill on a top line makes a ton of sense!

Edit: anyone think Simon Gagne would sign in that range??? A more Canuck style player...

No more than 2M. MG should consider he played with one of the best players in the league. As for no prospects, we could go all Montreal and make our 3rd most rookies.

Sedins-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Boyes

Jensen-Gaunce-Hansen/Horvat??

Higgins-Richardson-Santorelli

I wanted Boyes last year, posted such here, and was mad to see him signed for a mill. If that price is avail again its a no brainer!

If he could put up nearly a point a game with Tavres, he could easily do it with the Twins.

And at $1 mill, he can make a Jensen earn versus be gifted a roster spot. It wont hurt if he's in the press box, just good depth.

Guys, Kassian is our top natural RW (Burrows is a converted LW) followed by Hansen and Weise. Adding a RW depth player who has proved he can fill on a top line makes a ton of sense!

Edit: anyone think Simon Gagne would sign in that range??? A more Canuck style player...

There may be some truth to this rumor after all. Mike Sullivan coached Boyes as head coach of the Bruins in 05/06 where Boyes had one of his most productive seasons (26G, 43A). Maybe there's something to that.

If we could get Burrows type production out of Boyes for around a mil, then it would be well worth it. Not sure how good his two-way game is though.

Suddenly that frees up Burrows and Kassian to play roles that they're much more suited to:

Sedin Sedin Boyes

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Schroeder Burrows

Gaunce Richardson Hansen

GMMG has 'reportedly' kicked tires on Boyes a few times over the years, so even though Ek probably just made it up, it is an interesting discussion.

Saying that, he paced for 60 points over 82 games last season. I'd be stoked if the Canucks could land him - with some PP time and time in a solid top-6 he's pretty much guaranteed to be a 45 point player at the worst here (IMO), but more likely a 50 pointer.. and a whole let less perimeter than Raymond.

I remember back in the day when he ripped apart the OHL playoffs..

There may be some truth to this rumor after all. Mike Sullivan coached Boyes as head coach of the Bruins in 05/06 where Boyes had one of his most productive seasons (26G, 43A). Maybe there's something to that.

If we could get Burrows type production out of Boyes for around a mil, then it would be well worth it. Not sure how good his two-way game is though.

Suddenly that frees up Burrows and Kassian to play roles that they're much more suited to:

Sedin Sedin Boyes

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Schroeder Burrows

Gaunce Richardson Hansen

Even though Boyes' is known more as 'sniper', 'goal scorer'.. last year he was much more a set-up man. Under Mike Sullivan he also put up 40+ assists. So, yes, he could be a good fit with the Sedins, but he might also work with Kes & Booth.

People make too much of getting an assist guy for Kess. If we get an offensive guy; he should be put in an offensive situation. Look how Roy worked out for us going against common logic!

If we get Boyes, he should play with the Twins! (PS Burrows is a good defensive player, and can also pass; play him with Kess if your so inclined).

I'd prefer Boyes over Booth.

Mason Raymond scored 25 in 2009 on Kesler's wing. Higgins had 18 in 2011 with only 3/4 of the season with Kesler.

Point being a quality player will get 20 on the Canucks 2nd line. To get 30, you need serious time on the PP and occasional 1st line time, like Samuelsson.

Boyes could hit 20 on the 2nd. Could work with the Sedins. And could add to the PP.

As for size, Higgins is only a few lbs lighter. Kesler's taller. Kassian is bigger. Booth isn't a giant.

I remain mystified as to why people think Kassian (who without the injury to Booth would have spent last season in the AHL, should play on anyone's first line. What are you people smoking? The guy is a lazy, inconsistent, goofball, who has done nothing to impress anyone who actually knows hockey.

I remain mystified as to why people think Kassian (who without the injury to Booth would have spent last season in the AHL, should play on anyone's first line. What are you people smoking? The guy is a lazy, inconsistent, goofball, who has done nothing to impress anyone who actually knows hockey.

Archived