The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORT) Canucks Decline Offer for Edler! Still looking to trade him!

He had -5 last season and 22 points. He sucked defensively and had an off year. Worst # give aways for any of our D-men in the playoffs, 2nd worst in the regular season.

Those aren't good numbers, despite what he averaged over his career so far. Also, I saw a few games live, and he was noticeably casual with the puck in his own end. What scares me is he started especially sucking after his contract, and strikes me as the sort of guy who might just be in it for the money at this point.

The biggest reason Edler isn't a huge minus every season is because no matter how bad a defensemen the Sedins could ever be put with they will score so much that they will make the player look good in that area and point totals.

Edler rides the backs of the Sedins plain and simple.

My opinion on Edler is that he is an excellent top 4 Dman, a great number 2 dman even but not a one due to mental inconsistencies, whether they are cause from pressure, doubt, over thinking instead of just reacting, he is still young and that part of his game can be fixed, the rest of his game is solid. His partner is key to his success like most dmen that aren't number 1s. 5 mil is a lot, but in 2-3 yrs it could appear as a bargain.

I would only, and I meen only trade him if we got a hefty return. I would not take anything less than smith and Nyqvist for Edler, and at first that would be kind of tough.

If Detroit gets Edler, they will have a

Swedish army over there, and with the sedins UFA at yr end, and all the shenanigans going on with gillis, I would fear that could be something that pushes them to leave for a year, especially with our teams competitiveness stalling.

Just a thought, and don't tell me never not possible, Alfie left Ottawa anything can happen when your a UFA

Winnipeg desperatly need size up front so moving Wheeler for Schroeder doesn't make sense even if the value was even which it isn't.

If a deal was to be made with the Jets I could see Little, Postma and a 2/3rd for Edler being closer in value.

Gives Kesler a playmaker and we get a R handed offensive dman with some potential to be a 4/5 guy.

I still think if Edler is being moved that Car would be the ideal situation for Skinner if he is available.

I'm confused; you want on offensive RHD to be a 4/5 guy? Plus Skinner is a goal scorer not a play maker. Not that we don't need a goal scorer, but the proposal your suggesting does not offer what you say we need...

Our needs IMO;

1) Puck savy, puck rushing young (re cap) D man. As we are deep in left D men, probably a RH one.

2) Top line right side PF. (FTR if we get this Burrows will be a great passer for Kesler)

3) 3C

4) Big bastard, punish guys in front of the net, D.

As we (possibly) have no's 2/3 covered in prospects (Kassian/Jensen for PF and Gaunce/Schroeder/Horvat for 3C), I think our top trade priority should be that young puck rushing D. No 4 should be a depth siging or deadline pickup without too much cost.

I do agree with you that the trade does not exactly address Winnipeg's needs. They most certainly could use Edler, especially if Hainsey walks. But with Scheifele they also prob don't need Schroeder. But Trouba and Wheeler might be exactly what we need?

So sweeten the pot; add Malet? Ok, ok, not exciting either. Replace Schroeder with Gaunce and ask for a high pick back.

Edler plus Gaunce (and they need exactly Gaunce) is a BIG value offer on the table for Trouba and Wheeler; if they cough a first, done deal, 2knd I'm thinkin but not sure I'm getting value, 3rd, I'm out...

Little is the play-maker I was talking about, I agree Skinner is more of a shooter but like his game more than Little/Postma combo.

With our depth on D how could Postma be anything other than a 4/5 guy

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Postma/Tanev

TBD Postma/Tanev

Weber (Corrado another year of development)

People keep talking about how Edler is so stupid and doesn't play well defensively, if he was as bad as you make him out to be how do you explain the proposals that you put out their. If you can tell edler is so terrible defensively and so stupid then other GM's should therefore he should only fetch a 2nd round pick. Face it Edler is a solid hockey player he had a bad year last year but keep in mind he is a career +28 he has only had 1 - year, in a 82 game season he was on pace for 40 points and the season before he had 49 points. Edler is a very good defenseman and he is only 27 I dont understand why CDC constantly wants to get rid of some of our better players just to get back prospects and sub par nhlers in return.

Archived