The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORT) Canucks Decline Offer for Edler! Still looking to trade him!

You're bloody touchy muffin. Calm the hell down, drink some herbal tea. I am simply pointing out that lately the only defensive team to win a cup has been Boston. Even LA played a wide open style in comparison.

IN this bi-polar league where the trend on building a cup winner changes from cup to cup defense winning championships is a throw away of a by gone era

1) Disagree on Edler, he has elite offensive ability for a Dman. He is a puck mover, and brings that offensive skill. He has a bomb of a shot, and a pretty accurate one at that both with the clapper and the wrister, he's great at getting shots on net through traffic, he can skate well & move the puck, great passing skill, can really be an anchor on the PP. And has good offensive hockey sense.

2) To be fair, we couldn't offer Derek Roy, we didn't "give him up" and we replaced Lappy with Richardson who is the same caliber player. We will see how he does. I'm gunna reserve my judgement on him till then.

3) Malhotra didn't bring much physicality, though we miss his defensive/PK/Faceoff ability IMO.

As for Torres, first off he isn't the same Torres as before, he has toned his game down, he's really overrated here, he's a good player, but he's enigmatic and can cross the line and really hurt teams, so he is a risky player. And I think we have replaced what he brought in Kassian, although Kassian is more dynamic.

The Hawks are pretty damn good defensively.

Agreeing with the sensible Canuck's fans on this one. If this did happen, then I'm extremely happy it was declined. I don't see a reason for Edler to be traded. The only way The Canuck's trade him is if they get a knock you socks off offer from another team. I also think that under Tort's we will see a more rounded player in Edler. If the Canuck's are interested in trading Edler, then at least wait until you see what he can do under the new coaching staff. IMO, after that, do what you must.

Edler is a very good D man; but elite? I agree about the positive skills you have listed, he also has pretty good size, vision and delivery as a passer. People get on Edler for coughing the puck up as mental mistakes, but he is just not that good stick handling. So he gets unglued. He also simply does not have elite speed or agility. Without that extra gear and puck handling we just don't see him lug the puck up ice against pressure or to trigger a transition game when lanes are clogged. That makes him neither a puck mover and unfortunately not elite!

If we move Edler we still have three other D with 40 point potential so its not as big a loss as it would be to some teams. I'm not fixated on specifically moving Edler; take your pick between him, Garrison and Hamhuis to get our puck mover? I picked Edler because he has enough value IMO to get pieces significant enough to help us.

Kassian by the way is nothing like Torres. Torres fore checked like a demon, hit everything in sight, was a more than adequate shut down forward (with size which was a major match up advantage) and accepted his role on our team and others. Hey Kass might still develop into a top line scoring PF; but wake me up when you see him fore check or go toe to toe battling other teams top lines!

Those we disagree on.

I think the crux of what Canuck Surfer was getting at, and I agree with him, is that Edler is often labelled elite by people who then spend a few minutes defending his mistakes and limitations. Elite athletes, in any position, in any sport, don't have those recurring issues. It is, by definition, what makes them elite. They still have random errors here and there but they are not regular events.

Anyways I feel the same way I did when this topic came up a month ago, I'm willing to accept moving Edler if the return is right. He will be missed but not as much as some posters make it out to be. I'm also fine with waiting and seeing how he does under Torts, as long as everyone recognizes that if he regresses further his trade value will diminish, eventually to the point that it just becomes another bullet point on the lists of those calling for Mike Gillis' head, and those people and their lists already piss me off to no end.

Yes.

Whether you're a fan that just wants to educate themselves; or whether you want a career in the industry.

It is definitely worth it; as a gradding member you still get access to the weekly chats; meaning every Wednesday you gain the ability to pick the minds of some very influential & interesting people within the world of hockey. There is ALOT that they teach that just is NOT common knowledge amongst hockey fans, everything you could want to know is in the Hockey GMing and Scouting Course. - I will be taking their coaching course very soon.

The bottom line is Edler really sucked last year and I don't think he can turn it around even with a new coach. I really don't understand the people who kept on waving about his potential for the past 3 or 4 years . Well, that potential never materialized on a consistent basis and it might be the starting point of a downhill from what we saw from last year. We have got to trade him now while we can still get good value back.

to TB

Edler

Schroeder

to Van

Connolly

Koekkoek

1st round pick 2014

The bottom line is Edler really sucked last year and I don't think he can turn it around even with a new coach. I really don't understand the people who kept on waving about his potential for the past 3 or 4 years . Well, that potential never materialized on a consistent basis and it might be the starting point of a downhill from what we saw from last year. We have got to trade him now while we can still get good value back.

to TB

Edler

Schroeder

to Van

Connolly

Koekkoek

1st round pick 2014

Archived