The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORT) Canucks Decline Offer for Edler! Still looking to trade him!

Two factors wrong with this discussion. One is the NTC and the ball being strictly in Edlers court,which makes most trades impossible. Second is Edler is no where near a number 1 D!

So reflecting on the NTC I would have wanted to see him gone before it kicked in but Gillis had his plate full and most likely would have got jacked in return.

Edler has the physical play to be a top D but he lacks the know how to and hockey smarts to complete the package.

1.) He gets beat on power plays

His shoot first nature that every one loves turned into a liability last year since he doesnt know how to pass. He has one move that is the slap pass to the play down low or he shoots it. So with that in mind the opposition rushed him and would end up with the puck out of their zone. Which would then end up with a one on one with Edler more than not. This important because every one trumpets this facet of his game and its not the best if he cant learn how to pass.

2.) He goes into lala land when his game hits the wall

Honestly think he should be benched when he does this but everyone knows he is to emotionally fragile to risk putting him in the same spot Ballard was able to survive in for ever. The doghouse would most likely have him wimpering on the bench or have that glazed over look.

3.) Him and Torts

Dont get how some members think he could do better under Torts as opposed to AV,this is something I would like to see more discussion on for sure. Torts gets down on him and we most likely see "lala land Edler",I just dont see him responding to critical

coaching. Could be wrong about that but everything points for me to Edler shutting down. So Torts could go the other way and try to build him up,but you could argue AV attempted that by putting him out on the ice after screwing up. Personally think the window may be closing here and might end up with a Dman that is broken and will be worth less a year from now. Fingers crossed and I hope I am wrong.

Look at the year before last and take a look at his shots on net! He doesnt know how to pass and panics when pressured. If we can fix that in his game,than we got a good Dman but not a number 1.

Edler needs to go. You need a supporting cast defensive minded defenseman to win. Guys who will block-shots, shut-down top lines, make the safe simple play, and just get pucks on net in the O zone.

Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya (surrounding the former Norris winner, Keith)

Los Angeles: Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene (surrounding the excellent defender, Doughty)

Boston: Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk, McQuaid (surrounding the best shut-down defenseman, Chara)

Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Sopel (surrounding the Norris winner of that year, Keith)

Pittsburgh: Orpik, Scuderi, Gill, Eaton (surrounding the offensive dynamo Gonchar)

The Canucks have some overpaid defenseman in Bieksa and Edler. Decent offensively, but horrible defensively. That 9.6m is too much on guys who don't absolutely EXCEL in the defensive zone.

Hamhuis

Garrison

Tanev

Build around those guys. They can play in their own end, and keep it simple in the offensive zone.

I would take any of Ference/Scuderi/Regehr over those two, who were free-agents this summer and make no more then 3.4m

Although I've always had a soft spot for Bieksa.

The Canucks will trade Edler to the wings for Smith and a 2nd, all so they can get more cap space to find a third line centre.

They will then send Luongo to Philly for Vincent Lecavalier, throwing in Detroits 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal for Philly taking Lou's contract.

They will still have some left over money and then sign Brad Boyes to a 5 year 30 million dollar contract, even though he as well will only be competing for the 3c spot.

Two weeks into August when Cody Hodgson still hasn't been signed by Buffalo Gillis will re-aquire him for next years first round pick, to appease the fans who are still calling for his head for trading Cody in the first place.

Lecavalier, Boyes, Hodgson, Gaunce, Schroeder and Horvat will then all compete for the glorious title of starting third line centre, and hope to fill the role that has plagued the Canucks for years.

Depleted defence and two rookie goalies?....... Not a problem, we have a third line centre.

The Canucks will trade Edler to the wings for Smith and a 2nd, all so they can get more cap space to find a third line centre.

They will then send Luongo to Philly for Vincent Lecavalier, throwing in Detroits 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal for Philly taking Lou's contract.

They will still have some left over money and then sign Brad Boyes to a 5 year 30 million dollar contract, even though he as well will only be competing for the 3c spot.

Two weeks into August when Cody Hodgson still hasn't been signed by Buffalo Gillis will re-aquire him for next years first round pick, to appease the fans who are still calling for his head for trading Cody in the first place.

Lecavalier, Boyes, Hodgson, Gaunce, Schroeder and Horvat will then all compete for the glorious title of starting third line centre, and hope to fill the role that has plagued the Canucks for years.

Depleted defence and two rookie goalies?....... Not a problem, we have a third line centre.

Guest Dasein

Edler needs to go. You need a supporting cast defensive minded defenseman to win. Guys who will block-shots, shut-down top lines, make the safe simple play, and just get pucks on net in the O zone.

Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya (surrounding the former Norris winner, Keith)

Los Angeles: Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene (surrounding the excellent defender, Doughty)

Boston: Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk, McQuaid (surrounding the best shut-down defenseman, Chara)

Chicago: Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Sopel (surrounding the Norris winner of that year, Keith)

Pittsburgh: Orpik, Scuderi, Gill, Eaton (surrounding the offensive dynamo Gonchar)

The Canucks have some overpaid defenseman in Bieksa and Edler. Decent offensively, but horrible defensively. That 9.6m is too much on guys who don't absolutely EXCEL in the defensive zone.

Hamhuis

Garrison

Tanev

Build around those guys. They can play in their own end, and keep it simple in the offensive zone.

I would take any of Ference/Scuderi/Regehr over those two, who were free-agents this summer and make no more then 3.4m

Although I've always had a soft spot for Bieksa.

A good trade for two teams;

Edler to Washington for John Carlson (who plays behind Mike Green for the Cap's)and a prospect. Maybe Orlov or preferably big RWer Tom Wilson?

Their PP could do some serious damage with Edler and Green behind Backstrom, Ovi and ? But so could ours;

Sedin/Sedin/Kesler

Garrison/Carlson

Carlson is a right shot D, 212 lbs, that moves the puck better than any of our current D.

I think the deeper question is "what the switch is that transforms him from useless to brilliant?"  He was never supposed to be a defensive juggernaut but he could lay some serious hits, play significant minutes against 2nd/3rd lines and generate plenty of offense.  He was doing that up until the end of the Kings series and he still clearly has the skills.

I tend to read his "brainfarts" more as issues in his mental game/confusion with what AV was doing last year.  He seemed to be pausing at moments when he was likely asking "Okay where the frack is my team now?"  I suspect he's just suffered more than most from lack of support, a stale system  and a tendency to pass or rush rather than dumb and chase.

If Vancouver is to trade Edler, I am thinking Montreal or Ottawa may be prime targets. Jared Cowen and Jarrett Tinordi. Guaranteed those are the defensemen Vancouver would be looking at in a package for Edler. In the case of Ottawa:

Jared Cowen, Zack Smith/Mika Zibenajad, and a 1st rounder/2nd rounder

For

Alex Edler

If Zibenajad were to be included instead of Smith, switch the pick to a second rounder.

For Montreal (not as good of a trading partner), but I am sure something could be worked out.

Tinordi and Eller

For

Alex Edler

Maybe even Plekanec instead for the center if Montreal would eat a mil of his salary each year he has left on his contract. I wouldn't lose sleep over either of these trade options. For Edler though, we would need quality back though, so no plugs. Wouldn't other nice to pull Brandon Prust out of there though?!

I'd do the Edler for Tinordi and Eller in a heartbeat. Eller is borderline line top6 guy who solidfies the 3rd line for a few years and Tinordi at worst is a shutdown top4 with a monster mean streak and physical ability. At best hes a top pairing shutdown guy who can contribute 30-35pts a year.

If its Det I want Helm in ANY package we get from them, Brendan Smith is the other guy I would target tho I think we need a 3rd asset in that package.

I'd do the Edler for Tinordi and Eller in a heartbeat. Eller is borderline line top6 guy who solidfies the 3rd line for a few years and Tinordi at worst is a shutdown top4 with a monster mean streak and physical ability. At best hes a top pairing shutdown guy who can contribute 30-35pts a year.

If its Det I want Helm in ANY package we get from them, Brendan Smith is the other guy I would target tho I think we need a 3rd asset in that package.

Archived