The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen and Hamill 2013-2014

5Fivehole0

Sounds like this Hamil kid has had off-ice, character/attitude issues, possibly. Bloke like that will probably be on a fairly short leash, where they'll bring him along rather slowly. I'd guess he'd have to prove himself(AHL) for 20~40 games, before they give him any kind of shot. If they'd discussed this with him, at signing, it may be an indication he's ready to get serious about his career.

I doubt Jensen or Hamill make the team to start.

As for JS's size, hasn't it always been known that what he lacks in size he makes up for in lower body strength? Raymond got pushed around waaaaaaay more than JS did. JS just needs to start being more productive and consistent, something he just wasn't given the chance to do under AV.

Horvat will be called up before Hamill I think.

as for Jensen, I think we should at least play him a few games this year but don't think he is good enough for a more perm position on our roster.

Hamill won't make the team, not even close.

But if Schreoder, Gaunce break this roster and then Horvat coming in. We could see this in 2 years.

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Schreoder - Gaunce/Horvat - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat/Gaunce - Hansen

Booth - Lain/Richardson - Weise/UFA.

That looks good but Gaunce, Horvat, Schreoder, Kassian, Jensen need to improve quite a bit.

Yep. Unfortunately most Canucks fans seem to have written him off despite him doing nothing but improve his game since we drafted him.

Size will always be the issue with him. If he starts piling on the points in preseason though, I don't think it will be long before Canucks fans all start raving about him.

If booth is a 4th liner when the sedins are here, there is no way he's on the team. That's just pure hating on Booth. Booth will play top 6 or be bought out. Booth > Higgins-Hansen-Kassian on a mediocre season.

I do like the future. I see it like this

Schroeder Kesler Burrows (Schroeder to set up Kesler, Burrows to crash the net)

Jensen Horvat Shinkurak (New WCE)

Higgins Gaunce Kassian (deadly shutdown line)

White Hamill/Lain Hansen

UFA

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Corrado

Subban

Luongo

Lack

Ericcson

Jensen has a lot of work to do before he becomes a full-time NHLer. That's not to say he isn't figuring things out as we speak, but I have been disappointed with his development over the past year. He seems to have stagnated. Again, could be part of the process of getting used to the pro game on a daily basis. Time will tell.

As for our lineup being weaker, it all depends. If Kassian, Schroeder and/or none of the other youth step up, Booth and Kesler continue with the injury bug, and our defense plays below their potential, then yes - we are weaker.

Those are a lot of ifs tho. Our bottom six really isn't that much weaker. 'Specially when we consider that Lappy last season was not the player of 2011. Invisible most of the time, and rarely provided quality shifts in my opinion.

If Edler and/or Bieksa regain some of their form, and one of Booth/Kesler remain healthy - then we are at worst the same team. Any positives beyond this and I are our club excelling when compared to last season.

To answer the OP's post however, I don't see our successes being related to Zach or Jensen - tho I'd be pleasently suprised :)

I'm left shaking my head on this one.

Booth isn't a 4th liner (I agree) but somehow Hansen is?

I'm going to try to give the benefit of the doubt and chalk this one up to a surplus of optimism regarding the prospect pool. I'm not sure how else you get a roster with Schroeder, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Kassian all claiming top-nine roles and with all of them somehow pushing Hansen to the 4th line. That's a pretty astounding success rate for prospect development. If it works out that all of those young guys are better top-nine options than Hansen, I'll be giddily planning the parade.

Without going into too much detail here regarding the numbers (there are quite a few different stats that could be used here), let's just consider the fact that Hansen was #33 overall in the NHL in 5v5 points/60 last season (sorted for players with 400+ 5v5 minutes: http://stats.hockeya...Tp&sortdir=DESC). To be clear: that's the 33rd best scoring rate at even strength in the entire NHL. Hansen's #33 ranked 2.26 points/60 put him just behind #32 Stamkos (2.29), #31 Couture (2.30), and #30 Duchene (2.32). The previous season, he was #67 overall (sorted for players with 750+ 5v5 minutes: http://stats.hockeya...Tp&sortdir=DESC).

To put those numbers into perspective, simply consider the fact that their are, by definition, 90 players who play on a "first line" in the NHL. Hansen was #33 overall (and #32 among forwards) in points/60 at 5v5. So one could say that, at even strength, Hansen was more productive than 58 of the NHL's "first line" players. The previous year, he was better than 23 "first line" players.

Those kids will all have to be reaching to top end of their potential upside for Hansen to get pushed that far down in the lineup.

Lineups are based on even strength play. You have 4 forward lines and 3 defensive pairings that are used during 5v5 (and a separate lineup for your special teams units). When you put Hansen on the 4th line, you're saying that there are nine other forwards on the team who are better options at even strength (and who deserve more minutes and greater roles). Given Hansen's even strength numbers, that's expecting some impressive production out of anyone playing ahead of him. And that's not even considering Hansen's defensive play (where he also excels).

Hansen on the 4th line of the Canucks' roster in the future? That's just pure hating on Hansen. ;)

Hamil is a long shot. I expect Schroeder at 3C. Jensen needs a whole year in the AHL. Sorry but Euro hockey doesn't do a good job of preparing players for NHL.

I cannot see how the Canucks could be worse than last year. No 2C or 3C for almost the whole season. In essence no 2nd or 3rd line. Fighting for puck possession because their FO % was way below 50%. It created big pressure on the d-core and allowed opposition teams to focus on the Twins. However, opposing teams have upgraded big time.

The thing that surprised me the most about this thread is learning that the Bruins had a high pick that didn't work out...and here I was letting some posters on here getting me to think only Gillis made picks that didn't work out.

The thing that surprised me the most about this thread is learning that the Bruins had a high pick that didn't work out...and here I was letting some posters on here getting me to think only Gillis made picks that didn't work out.

First of all The sedins will forever be Canucks and when they are both free agents gillis will most likely work out a deal for the sedins they are key players in order for the Canucks to make it to the playoffs and try and win the cup

After having a pretty heavy debate with someone about a certain Russian prospect. I thought of something...

We have some pretty decent depth and some up and comers that could really shine.

Toughness is one of the keys that have won cups the last 3 years but another key that has destroyed the Canucks is...

Young guns that can score.

It is my opinion that the Canucks next year should REALLY inject some youth into the line up.

The general consensus is that our line up will look like this.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Sestito Schroeder Weise

With Gaunce/Richardson/Schroeder all interchangeable.

This is basically a downgraded version of last year.

But what about Jensen/Hamill? Hamill has been labeled a bust but has had some pretty decent NHL experience and is coming into this camp as an experiment per say... The kid still has the potential but was too busy partying. Make or break for this kid. If he makes and with Jensen injected into the line up.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Hamill Jensen

Weise Gaunce Hansen

Schroeder

Richardson

Put those young kids in and let them soak up some experience. There is still veteran presence on every line and all the lines can score. The Canucks are looking to make the play-offs but no high expectations as the cap really took a toll on our line up.

What do you guys think?

This isn't starting line up thread, this is a thread about Jensen and Hamill in the line up.

Archived