The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

Sure but the point isn't to make Tanev expendable. It will be tough to find anybody who will do the job Tanev does (Which I know you feel is very little) for the price he will likely come in at. The point of this though isn't to replace Tanev which will be harder to do than you think it will be because of the lack of credit you give him, it's to not be forced to rely on a guy with a handful of games in Corrado.

Having said that; if they can get Hal Gill I'd probably crap myself. However if Tanev signs and they do get another D it will likely be Weber to get benched before Tanev does.

I think you entirely missed my point.

I did not say Tanev is useless and that the Canucks are looking to get rid of him at any cost. I said if a comparable player can be signed who can anchor the 3rd pairing defensively for a lower contract, Tanev could conceivably price himself right out of a job. Tanev is not as hard to replace as you suggest. There are several 3rd pairing guys who play a defence-first safe type of game that could replace him for the salary he is currently worth based on the market - that being 1 to 1.5 mil per season. Some of those guys might even be able to bring some physical play too. That is why he has no real leverage in the negotiations. Or at least he shouldn't.

So the point is not that the Canucks should not try to keep him. They absolutely should at the right price point. Any higher than 1.5 mil or so and considering other options starts looking more and more possible though. They can afford to wait him out and not overpay him if he is holding out right now for more money or a term they don't like. His value has really already been set. It is now up to him whether he will accept it and sign or the Canucks find another option for that same price.

Not gonna lie if Tanev was so good we wouldn't have lost 8 of our last 9 playoff games.

He's really overrated because AV's system made Edler and Bieksa look really stupid at times.

Not that I wouldn't sign him but if he's asking for more than 1.2 for 9 points a season he can take a hike.

Tanev didn't play on our last 4 (all loses) due to injury....

Tanev didn't play on our last 4 (all loses) due to injury....

Logic! Does he have it??

Tanev would have actually been a big help against the Sharks. Those were tight 1 goal games for the most part. Having a much more experienced Tanev to play bigger minutes over Corrado could have eased some of the pressure on guys like Edler and Hamhuis.

I think you entirely missed my point.

I did not say Tanev is useless and that the Canucks are looking to get rid of him at any cost. I said if a comparable player can be signed who can anchor the 3rd pairing defensively for a lower contract, Tanev could conceivably price himself right out of a job. Tanev is not as hard to replace as you suggest. There are several 3rd pairing guys who play a defence-first safe type of game that could replace him for the salary he is currently worth based on the market - that being 1 to 1.5 mil per season. Some of those guys might even be able to bring some physical play too. That is why he has no real leverage in the negotiations. Or at least he shouldn't.

So the point is not that the Canucks should not try to keep him. They absolutely should at the right price point. Any higher than 1.5 mil or so and considering other options starts looking more and more possible though. They can afford to wait him out and not overpay him if he is holding out right now for more money or a term they don't like. His value has really already been set. It is now up to him whether he will accept it and sign or the Canucks find another option for that same price.

No I didn't miss that point I agreed with it. I also said it wouldn't necessarily be an easy thing to do. It's no secret that you don't think very highly of Tanev.

Tanev needs to take a nice friendly 1.2 1.3 mill 2 season cap hit. If all goes well he will get 3.whatever mill after that but right now he needs to take the friendly cap hit. Yes I too would take a second rounder in exchange for his rights if he signs for 2 mill somewhere else. he aint worth it yet he makes everyone else on d have too compensate for his softness which might be ok if he scored goals but a soft stay at home defenceman in the NHL is not exactly a market niche.

Dan hamhuis can hit and can score he's dangerous but hes still considered a soft stay at home guy though arguably our best defender he will never get that big paycheque because he lacks intimidation. We all saw what resulted when he tried to lay out Luccic.

Intimidation? He had this Luccic guy going *ss over tea kettle, then the oaf decided to body slam Hamhuis into the ice, by falling on him. I don't think that Hamhuis gets intimidated on the ice at all, and he's certainly not soft, mainly because he uses his stick probably better than 90% of NHL defensemen.

No I didn't miss that point I agreed with it. I also said it wouldn't necessarily be an easy thing to do. It's no secret that you don't think very highly of Tanev.

Again, you are mistaken. I think very highly of him for what he is - a 3rd pairing steady defensive guy - at the right price. I just don't pretend he is more than that at this point because he is not. Like all young players he has potential to be more but has not really yet shown anything to suggest his offensive or physical game will ever be much more than they are now. And right now they are not anything that the team would miss.

CDC severely overrates Tanev as a player and also his importance to the team. He is not irreplaceable or even that difficult to replace in reality. That is especially true this offseason with a lot of good quality 3rd pairing type defensemen waiting for contracts since the cap went down.

Remember that Tortorella and Sullivan pride themselves on sound defensive play first and foremost from their dmen. Every dman on our team - especially Edler and Bieksa - are going to be better defensively this season imo. Tanev's cult status on CDC has largely been a result of being steady defensively when up to 4 of our other D at any given time have not been. That is about to change I bet, which by default reduces his importance level in that sense.

Again, you are mistaken. I think very highly of him for what he is - a 3rd pairing steady defensive guy - at the right price. I just don't pretend he is more than that at this point because he is not. Like all young players he has potential to be more but has not really yet shown anything to suggest his offensive or physical game will ever be much more than they are now. And right now they are not anything that the team would miss.

CDC severely overrates Tanev as a player and also his importance to the team. He is not irreplaceable or even that difficult to replace in reality. That is especially true this offseason with a lot of good quality 3rd pairing type defensemen waiting for contracts since the cap went down.

Remember that Tortorella and Sullivan pride themselves on sound defensive play first and foremost from their dmen. Every dman on our team - especially Edler and Bieksa - are going to be better defensively this season imo. Tanev's cult status on CDC has largely been a result of being steady defensively when up to 4 of our other D at any given time have not been. That is about to change I bet, which by default reduces his importance level in that sense.

okay

A player gets so much praise on here until it's contract time, and then suddenly they're just overrated and replaceable.

Quite the amount of flip flopping going on here.

Or they are overrated all along with all that praise and then they come back to reality at contract time. There are not many players in the league who are irreplaceable. I doubt I would count Tanev as one of them.

A player gets so much praise on here until it's contract time, and then suddenly they're just overrated and replaceable.

Quite the amount of flip flopping going on here.

Much like there are really only a few people on here that actually over rate him there are also only a few that now think he's just over rated and replaceable.

Or they are overrated all along with all that praise and then they come back to reality at contract time. There are not many players in the league who are irreplaceable. I doubt I would count Tanev as one of them.

Of course he's replaceable. Almost every player on this team is outside of maybe the Sedins and Kesler.

But it just sounds like people would be okay with dumping him if he wants a couple 100k extra. I think that would be a mistake. We need as many D-men that can play in their own zone as we can get right now. Because guys like Edler, Bieska, and Weber have a tough time doing that.

And I don't think guys like Alberts or Fistric are going to do much in that department either.

Of course he's replaceable. Almost every player on this team is outside of maybe the Sedins and Kesler.

But it just sounds like people would be okay with dumping him if he wants a couple 100k extra. I think that would be a mistake. We need as many D-men that can play in their own zone as we can get right now. Because guys like Edler, Bieska, and Weber have a tough time doing that.

And I don't think guys like Alberts or Fistric are going to do much in that department either.

I would disagree in a salary cap world. There is a point where it is too many 100k's. 1.1 to 1.4 or so is the established range for comparable players. Any more than that though and the opportunity cost of those extra 100k's starts to increase.

As I said, we now have a coaching staff who preaches defensive responsibility from the D over all else so I believe Edler, Bieksa, and even Weber are going to improve their defensive games under Tortorella and Sullivan.

We have 3 potential right side RH D now for the 3rd pairing (Tanev, Corrado, and Weber) and no really solid LD option.

I would disagree in a salary cap world. There is a point where it is too many 100k's. 1.1 to 1.4 or so is the established range for comparable players. Any more than that though and the opportunity cost of those extra 100k's starts to increase.

As I said, we now have a coaching staff who preaches defensive responsibility from the D over all else so I believe Edler, Bieksa, and even Weber are going to improve their defensive games under Tortorella and Sullivan.

We have 3 potential right side RH D now for the 3rd pairing (Tanev, Corrado, and Weber) and no really solid LD option.

of the 3 players you mentioned and given what you said about torts and sully, Tanev wins by a landslide. Corrado is a wildcard and weber is the new ballard.

Archived