The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev and Canucks not talking - Major interest from KHL

Defensive depth is over-rated.

This team can excel with Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler and Bieksa eating up the heavy minutes.

The third pairing just needs to play 10 mins of mistake free hockey game in-game out. The 5th-6th guys can be compromised of any two of Tanev, Corrado, Sauve, Weber, Tommernes, Polasek, Andersson, McNally, Cederholm, Subban etc. and the team would be fine.

Overreacting or what

Who was over reacting? Me or the guys who thought we had the best D core in the league...

Where do you asses or core? :picard: Me, I believe we have 4 extremely good two way defenders (Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison and Edler). Also Tanev as an adequate depth defender, hopefully Corrado fits there as well. Thats a good squad. But we have neither elite speed and puck handling, nor elite size (a crease clearing 230 lb bastard). It's incomplete and unlikely to win a cup, despite having good players.

Trading one (considering all our cap is tied up) of four similar players to cover skills we are missing is entirely logical.

Bieksa has an NTC. Tanev nor Corrado will play in the top 4 in the next three years without us paying our bottom pairing upwards of 5M. If I was Gillis, I'd be trying to give Tanev 3 years at ~1.5, so that we have 2 spots in the top 4 between him, Corrado, Hamhuis, and Bieksa. Tanev probably doesn't want to take a 3rd year at a salary he is likely to outperform, even as early as next year, just because our top 4 are immovable. Like you said, he probably wants one or two years, but at that point we will be unable to afford him.

"Bieksa has a NTC".

NTC or NMC mean nothing. It simply gives the player a say in where he goes.

"Bieksa has a NTC".

NTC or NMC mean nothing. It simply gives the player a say in where he goes.

?

A NTC allows a player to refuse a trade. Players have shown a willingness to exercise that right (see: Briere, Sundin). The combination of long-term contracts + NTCs on the Canucks means the core of the roster is set for years to come.

Tough call really. on the canucks side tanev is a dman and not a offensive dman. On tanevs' side his defensive reliability was incredible. Tanev is very important to the canucks.... he doesn't get points but he keeps calm with in the group. I know the canucks also measure things on their depth chart but honestly i would of put tanev even higher than bieska. so many grey areas where do you draw the line to make the approiate decision in negotiations. I just hope its not over something really stupid like 50k or even a 100k... Do the right thing gillis don't budge to high and don't and repeat don't try to under sell Tanev.

I think you also have to consider our top 4 play big minutes. All are in the top 67 in the league last year in fact.

I imagine Torts plans to use them even more. Its very likely our top 4 will be playing more minutes that any other teams top 4.

Lots of teams top pairing will play more, but I cant think of any team that will play the top 4 more?

With all the ntc/nmc these guys will be here awhile too.

Of course means our 3rd pairing plays less ice time. They can't be over paying for 3rd liners playing low minutes.

Last year Tanev got 17 minutes a game. I could see him playing less next year.

I think the kid would be better off playing for a weaker team, where he could eat up 20 a game.

Am I the only one that thinks that Tobias Enstrom would be a nice pickup, despite being criticized for 'softness'? I just think he really simplifies the game by slowing it down in front of him, he's smooth skater, and he makes that great outlet pass. I also think he might be the most under appreciated player in the NHL despite playing for a Canadian team.

Though I'm not a big fan of trading Edler because I believe Torts can possibly elevate his game and with some hard training before season he can get back to being near 100% healthy despite having a messed up back, acquiring a veteran (youngish) puck moving d-man like Enstrom would be the only sensible kind of transaction I would move Edler for maybe besides a legit 60-70 point scoring winger or a blue-chip D prospect.

If we acquired a reliable smooth-skating defensive D man like Toni Lydman or someone perhaps a little more physical via free agency who can play the similar type of role that Michael Rozival played in the Hawks' cup run, I would sin in my pants if our top-6 was something like this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison/Enstrom-Garrison/Enstrom

Lydman-Tanev

Corrado

Weber(no order for these two)

Much like how we have a few wingers in our lineup that can play centre if need be, it would be nice to have D-men that can adapt to different sides as Garrison, Lydman, and Enstrom are all left handed shooters but have spent time in their respective careers playing on the right-side. When you have injuries, versatility and depth on all positions in your lineup is what's gonna win you championships in this league.

If MG could sift his way around the cap by working his magic, I'd love to see this lineup on defence this upcoming season. Not saying it will happen, but it would sure be nice.

So you think this is a solid D core?

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Weber

Garrison Corrado

That D core is laughable. It's way worse than the one we had last season.

The only one laughable is your sky is falling antics. Our D is fine, we got a new coach that will help get everyone back on track.

All will be fine with or without Tanev. We are no better or no worse.

Am I the only one that thinks that Tobias Enstrom would be a nice pickup, despite being criticized for 'softness'? I just think he really simplifies the game by slowing it down in front of him, he's smooth skater, and he makes that great outlet pass. I also think he might be the most under appreciated player in the NHL despite playing for a Canadian team.

Though I'm not a big fan of trading Edler because I believe Torts can possibly elevate his game and with some hard training before season he can get back to being near 100% healthy despite having a messed up back, acquiring a veteran (youngish) puck moving d-man like Enstrom would be the only sensible kind of transaction I would move Edler for maybe besides a legit 60-70 point scoring winger or a blue-chip D prospect.

If we acquired a reliable smooth-skating defensive D man like Toni Lydman or someone perhaps a little more physical via free agency who can play the similar type of role that Michael Rozival played in the Hawks' cup run, I would sin in my pants if our top-6 was something like this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison/Enstrom-Garrison/Enstrom

Lydman-Tanev

Corrado

Weber(no order for these two)

Much like how we have a few wingers in our lineup that can play centre if need be, it would be nice to have D-men that can adapt to different sides as Garrison, Lydman, and Enstrom are all left handed shooters but have spent time in their respective careers playing on the right-side. When you have injuries, versatility and depth on all positions in your lineup is what's gonna win you championships in this league.

If MG could sift his way around the cap by working his magic, I'd love to see this lineup on defence this upcoming season. Not saying it will happen, but it would sure be nice.

Lydman is old and done

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22973851/report-veteran-defenseman-toni-lydman-expected-to-retire

I agree that tanev isn't worth $2m in the short term.

I also agree that Enstrom is a quality defenseman. He is on a rather large contract, even taking his offense into consideration. He isn't that physical either. It will be tough for him to play against the big boys in the west IMO.

I like Tanev, I believe he has some great potential in becoming a great NHL defensemen. Although he has never played more than 38 games in a NHL season, he hasn't even played a full season yet. Tanev made $900,000 the last 3 years, there is no way he should be asking for more than $1.3M for say a 3 year contract, until he really proves himself, by playing atleast 1 full season first.

Archived